Doctor Who - new series

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

well?

it rocked
70%
it was OK
30%
not like the good old days
No votes

Total votes: 30
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

Big Si wrote: Poor Colin Baker never stood a chance. I agree I thought Sly was very good, but No. 1 Doc of all time has to be -

Yes, he's a predictable choice for favourite Doctor but he is mine too. His autobiography is well worth a read. Made me laugh out loud on the train many times. :lol:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:Colin Baker
Tom Baker reminds me of my old headteacher :lol:
Thea
Overbomber

Andrew S wrote:
Big Si wrote: Poor Colin Baker never stood a chance. I agree I thought Sly was very good, but No. 1 Doc of all time has to be -

Yes, he's a predictable choice for favourite Doctor but he is mine too. His autobiography is well worth a read. Made me laugh out loud on the train many times. :lol:
I love "Who on earth is..." too.
And the boy who kicked pigs :lol:
i met him at a book signing for his autobiography. I was about 14 and just remember how upsettingly tall he was :eek:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I spotted Tom Baker in Brighton just before Christmas - think he must live around here
Andy TG
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:
Andrew S wrote:

I love "Who on earth is..." too.
And the boy who kicked pigs :lol:
i met him at a book signing for his autobiography. I was about 14 and just remember how upsettingly tall he was :eek:
Oddly enough I am the same height at (Sir) Tom Baker 6'4" :eek: - Then again Douglas Adams was also 6'4". And Douglas Adams wrote "Shada"!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Thea
Overbomber

John Cleese too...
I seem to remember a quote about Graham Chapman being 6'3, and therefore 10% less funny than Cleese and Adams.
Still think it was a shame about Shada - it's a classic, even in it's incomplete state.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:John Cleese too...
I seem to remember a quote about Graham Chapman being 6'3, and therefore 10% less funny than Cleese and Adams.
Still think it was a shame about Shada - it's a classic, even in it's incomplete state.
What did you reckon to the "re-made" webcast version with Paul McGann?
анархия
Thea
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
d00mw0lf wrote:John Cleese too...
What did you reckon to the "re-made" webcast version with Paul McGann?
Not seen it - wouldn't want to. it's not how it should have been.
Dan
Overbomber

Thea
Overbomber

:eek:
Now that just ain't right.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

as i've mentioned elsewhere, if were being cynical (:!:) i would say it was a deliberate ploy by the beeb to get a big, credible name celeb in for the series launch, then replace him with "Casanova star David Tennant" once its got its initial hype out of the way...

:?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Quiff Boy wrote:as i've mentioned elsewhere, if were being cynical (:!:) i would say it was a deliberate ploy by the beeb to get a big, credible name celeb in for the series launch, then replace him with "Casanova star David Tennant" once its got its initial hype out of the way...

:?:
I fear QB may be right , I was reading the paper over someones shoulder this morning on the train and noticed a headline saying Ecclestone has said he wont do another series after this one. Gutted. :(

It better not be that twit from Casanova :twisted:
Hell is other people
Debaser
Overbomber

EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
ruffers
Overbomber

"What's that? You'll double my money? And give me image rights? Ah, go on then, I'll do another series...."

:innocent:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Francis
Overbomber

I expect he struggled with the nuances of the character and the intricacies of the sub-text and wants to do something less demanding like Lear.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Dan
Overbomber

Andy TG wrote:Speaking of Guides - I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to The Hitch Hikers Movie.
You'd better transfer that looking-forward-to feeling for the radio series of book 4 and 5, to be broadcast later in the year (series 3 is out on cd if you missed it).

Unfortunately the film sounds like it's gonna be really bad.
It's s**t, really s**t, you just won't believe how mindbogglingly s**t it is...
Andy TG
Overbomber

Dan wrote:
Andy TG wrote:Speaking of Guides - I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to The Hitch Hikers Movie.
You'd better transfer that looking-forward-to feeling for the radio series of book 4 and 5, to be broadcast later in the year (series 3 is out on cd if you missed it).

Unfortunately the film sounds like it's gonna be really bad.
It's s**t, really s**t, you just won't believe how mindbogglingly s**t it is...
I am also looking forward to listening and then buying the radio series of books 4 and 5. The 4th book is for sale on Play.com - release date 25/05/05.

Does anyone know the transmission dates for book 4? - I cant find them anywhere.

As for the movie, having seen many of the trailers and tv spots I am sure it will be great. Remember Douglas Adams did write the first draft of the Movie screenplay so it cant be THAT Bad! :eek:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Tonight's episode was the best so far.
I suppose the point always to keep in mind is that it always was and always will be a children's television programme.
Reckon they will have done a pretty fine job of resurrecting the series by episode 13.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Dan
Overbomber

Andy TG wrote:Does anyone know the transmission dates for book 4? - I cant find them anywhere.
All I know is that it's 4 episodes for book 4 and another 4 for book 5. The original plans were to broadcast all 8 consecutively over 8 weeks but dates had to be put back when D*sney stook their oar in and delayed the broadcast of series 3.
The bbc site says that something Hitchhikers will be starting on 3rd May, but as nothing has been announced so far it's probably a repeat as a teaser for series 4 and 5 starting later in the year.
Andy TG wrote:As for the movie, having seen many of the trailers and tv spots I am sure it will be great. Remember Douglas Adams did write the first draft of the Movie screenplay so it cant be THAT Bad! :eek:
Yes, it can be that bad. If you read the review on the page I linked (the long version of the review has spoilers but the short version doesn't) it basically explains how most of the classic lines have been deleted or rewritten, and how major parts of the plot have been edited/changed in order to make a total nonsense out of the plot. It sounds horrible. I won't be going to see it.

Erm, going back on topic of this thread, I enjoyed episode 3 of Dr Who, in fact I've enjoyed all 3 so far.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Agreed, fine job all round!
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Seems ok so far :D

Never mind that "Friday feeling", to paraphrase Mark Gatiss, I've got the Saturday tea-time feeling all over again :lol:

The only mis-giving I've got really is that the storylines are a little bit too, well, short. There seems to be throwaway lines that could mean everything or nothing. Maybe they'll build on them later in the series?

That Dr. Who Confidential thingie on Beeb 3 is quite entertaining too :D
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Dan
Overbomber

Dan wrote:The bbc site says that something Hitchhikers will be starting on 3rd May, but as nothing has been announced so far it's probably a repeat as a teaser for series 4 and 5 starting later in the year.
And since I posted that the page has been updated, and it is indeed series 4 that starts on 3rd may!