Technical Boyz

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

:?: Does anyone know what guitar That Guitarist was playing on in the "Wake" video of 1985? And what fuzz-boxes/distortions/guitars/amps they were using on the early stuff? There is an impressive section on this on the official website, but it mostly covers their more recent gear and I find it VERY difficult to find anything on this subject. I allways thought their guitars sounded very different from anybody else's and I'm wonderding just how they did it then...
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

IIRC, FALAA was recorded with a rented Telecaster and a Rickenbacker 12-string electric. Amps were either a Fender combo- I want to say Twin Reverb- or Roland Jazz Chorus. Don't know what they used for distortion, 'cause those amps are super clean.

I'm pretty sure Craig used a Rickenbacker bass on FALAA. Haven't seen any early era live shots in a while, but they were big Motorhead fans and it certainly sounds like a Ric to me. I love that bass sound.

This is just from what I remember hearing. I could be entirely wrong.

Great guitar and bass riffs throughout all that stuff. To be honest, I was never a big fan of the high gain tones on the earlier stuff, but I'd rather have them sound like they do than some super-processed 80's big hair tone.
Left at the dead badger.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Wayne's main axe in the Sisters was an Aria Pro II RS-800 12 string (which he'd spray-painted black!). That's the one he plays in the Wake video. They are quite difficult guitars to find nowadays. Apparently his was stolen when his flat in Leeds was burgled in 1987.
There is a similar 6-string version (an RS-850) owned by Adam Pearson listed in technical boys section of the Sisters site. More info on these guitars here.
The Scene won't save you...
malphadour2500
Road Kill

I have had a go on one an Aria 12 string and they are sweet to play, and a fantastic sound, they have the crispness of a strat but without sounding s**t like a strat.
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:D Hee guys, thanks a lot for the info! I've spent sooo much time trying to figure out what guitar Wayne was playing, and now finally i know!

Once I even asked Wayne himself when I met him backstage and he said it was a Vox Teardrop. But then I later found out that was the guitar he was using that particular night and not the one he was using on "Wake".
czuczu
Overbomber

I never realised that was Aria Pro II!
Kind of kicking myself cos I've had one for years ( 6 string) and it's my first choice for playing..
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

The other Huss guitar (Played in Knocking on....) is a Fender Starcaster.

Craig is playing a beaten up Aria bass (split and repaired by a friend with a brass plate - Craig said in an interview that he loved the idea of playing such a famous venue with a £70 guitar) He may have hired something else for the recording
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Big Si
School Bully

Ed Rhombus wrote:The other Huss guitar (Played in Knocking on....) is a Fender Starcaster.

Craig is playing a beaten up Aria bass (split and repaired by a friend with a brass plate - Craig said in an interview that he loved the idea of playing such a famous venue with a £70 guitar) He may have hired something else for the recording
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1777

Aria? I thought it was an Ibanz Roadster! :|
Craig Adams wrote:Your first bass?

Well, as I said, the first one was borrowed. I was working in Morrisons
Supermarket, on the nightshift, and I saved to buy my first bass - a
Hondo. I had to have something. That one didn't last very long - it got
snapped in a moment of madness and destruction! We were testing out
sounds and scraping it along this wall and it gave up the ghost. I got
an Ibanz Roadster then. That got smashed as well - the body split down
the middle. A bloke in Hull said 'I'll fix it for you', so he glued it
back together and bolted a big brass plate across the front of the thing
to hold it together. That was basically the bass I used throughout the
'Sisters'. We played the Albert Hall, and I played this £70 guitar! That
was it and it was fine until I lost it. It disappeared and I do not know
where it's gone. I'll know it as soon as I see it because of this great
brass plate on the front. It was the heaviest guitar in the world!
<----- "Know it all" :oops:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

Hi,

Anybody any idea what fuzz/distortion was used on "Alice". Especially in the chorus the guitars sound like a razorblade, not exactly the usual "standard" distiortion. Same goes for the melody-line, pitch-shifter maybe?
Big Si
School Bully

PipoTheClown wrote:Hi,

Anybody any idea what fuzz/distortion was used on "Alice". Especially in the chorus the guitars sound like a razorblade, not exactly the usual "standard" distiortion. Same goes for the melody-line, pitch-shifter maybe?
Why don't you ask him? - info@garymarx.com :wink: :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
PipoTheClown
Amphetamine Filth

:idea: Hej, that's not a bad idea! Not a bad idea at all, I say!

To be continued!
ktnrecs
Road Kill

hi: the guitar that hussey used on "wake" was blue and with the word "drug" scratched above the strings. wich guitar is that? and what effects used on "marian"? and in "body and soul" that seems two guitars? many thanks...
paul
Overbomber

He also uses an E-bow. Great tool, I bought one myself some years ago!
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

paul wrote:He also uses an E-bow. Great tool, I bought one myself some years ago!
As much as I love The Mish I cannot resist the urge to say that this is not the first time Wayne has been mentioned along with the phrase "great tool"

Sorry Wayne :oops:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Not sure if this is the right thread to necro...

I was playing around with an Electro-Harmonix Polychorus into a Roland JC77 (without chorus) and it sounded suspiciously close to the Nine While Nine sound... I made a recording with the crappy laptop mic, it sounded a bit better live.

Guitar was a Squier Jazzmaster on bridge pickup position.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=48 ... =2&theater

(I wonder if you can see the video without being on facebook... I posted it on the MH group there as well).

By the way, the settings to the Polychorus are, starting from the top and moving clockwise, 9'o'clock, 9'o'clock :von: everything else at point zero and the little switch up there to the right.
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?