Peter Murphy - Ninth

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Anyone have the new album or going to the tour in October? I was using the search function to see if there were any posts here already, but couldn't find any.

I'm so exciteeeeeeed :notworthy:

All the current promo appearances he posts on his FB page are really great too. You get so many different acoustic versions of the songs. And many different strange outfits on Mr M :urff: :lol:
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:Anyone have the new album or going to the tour in October? I was using the search function to see if there were any posts here already, but couldn't find any.

All the current promo appearances he posts on his FB page are really great too. You get so many different acoustic versions of the songs. And many different strange outfits on Mr M :urff: :lol:

I like the new album a lot. I caught him last month here in Los Angeles and he was very good.

Not to toot my own horn, but my band Strange Rebel Frequency opened for him in the summer 2008 and I was kind of disappointed in his level of enthusiasm. He was quite a diva, rarely turning up for soundcheck. His manager was doting over everything as if he was royalty.

When I saw him last month he was much more engaged and seems to be having a great time. The band is much tighter now, too. He's still got Mark Gemini Thwaite (ex-Mish) with him.
Sita

Whow, I'm impressed! :eek:
Thank you for those interesting insights Shivarising! How did you get to open for him? Come on - toot the horn - it's ok :lol:

Mish, really? I wondered who that early-Trent Reznoresk-looking guitarist was. They seem great musicians from what I can see on those radio promo appearances, glad you had a good impression last month.
sam1

I'm going to see him at King Tuts ,Glasgow on Oct 14th..anyone else going to this??
Sita

I know a lot of you aren't on FB so here's some of the radio promo appearances, in case anyone's interested ;)
Love how they all are different

The Prince and Old Lady Shade, FTP Session
Seesaw Sway, FTP Session

Seesaw Sway, The Alternate Side
The Prince and Old Lady Shade, The Alternate Side

Record shopping - just some light-hearted fun:
Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) - What's In My Bag?
Nic
Slight Overbomber

A short discussion on the subject here.
The new CD is great and I plan to catch the man on tour in Stockholm.
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

great album,and I´ll see him in Madrid in October...
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
miprs4
Amphetamine Filth

Think I may have to go see him @ The Garage in London....
Cheers

MIP
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Sita wrote:Anyone have the new album or going to the tour in October? I was using the search function to see if there were any posts here already, but couldn't find any.
Were we not discussing this very album over on Sisters chat the other day ??? :eek:
Sita

But I hadn't even listened to it yet when you dropped the name :eek:
I didn't even know, when you said back to the roots approach, that this means it sounds fantastic.
I guess you mentioning that reminded me, so I then listened to the songs on his record company's and then got me the CD. I don't know why but even though I had "liked" him on FB they didn't send me his news for ages.
I have to thank you! :notworthy:
Recorded in seven days ;D
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Sita wrote: it sounds fantastic.

Recorded in seven days ;D
Couldn't agree more - best album he's been involved with since "Mask". When artists become obsessed with authenticity and spend a whole week in the studio working on a single snare sound, any spontaneity/passion seems to disappear. I remember Tony James saying in his HL interview that there were hundreds of versions of the VT songs recorded over the year they spent at PK but only :von: could hear the difference.
That was why, over on Sisters Chat, when the argument was about economic arguments against recording/releasing studio material, I was offering Ninth as an example of what can be done for relatively little money in a very short space of time.
it looks like we were in agreement all the time after all ! :)
Sita

I simply didn't get the point at that moment when you said that :oops: The prior Murphys sounded quite "produced" to me, and when you said he recorded his new album quickly, I was confused and (wrongfully) imagining something that sounded low-fi or experimental.

I remember too reading people saying these things about the making of VT. It's charming though, when you actually release something, and adds legend to the person. Like Kubrick. But only when there's some sort of fruit in the end of course :roll:
Big Si
School Bully

sam1 wrote:I'm going to see him at King Tuts ,Glasgow on Oct 14th..anyone else going to this??
I'm taking your spare ticket aren't I? :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

... but you don't like Bauh.... aww wait a minute, I geddit :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:... but you don't like Bauh.... aww wait a minute, I geddit :lol:
A very wise man once wrote:Don't feed the troll...
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

Yes, The album is awesome, better than Go Away White....which I didn't think I'd ever say about a solo Peter Murphy album, but then there's hindsight... :notworthy:

and No, no more gigs for me for a very very long time :cry:
James Blast
Banned

joined my 'Auld, Bored and Carnt be Ersed' Crew Anddie? :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Andie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:joined my 'Auld, Bored and Carnt be Ersed' Crew Anddie? :lol:
Aye! something like that James.... :lol: