First And Last And Always Original Mixes

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

i've been busy / sad (strike through as appropriate). Listening to multiple versions at the same time is not good for the ears/ head (strike through as appropriate)...anyway... * times as declared on those formats - except Japanese which was sort of timed in places :wink:

For verification purposes

85 tape on PC - played against CD
CD - played against Jap
Jap - played against remix
remix - played against 85 tape on PC

-----

Ah ha. This might just open a can of worms :?

Original Version

Cassette, LP, Gatefold LP, Cd longbox version, picture disk

Black Planet - 4.27
Walk Away - 3.20
No Time to Cry - 3.54
A Rock... - 3.36
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

New Version

Elektra CD other Cds? can't find them right now :(

Black Planet - 4.35
Walk Away - 3.23
No Time to Cry - 3.53
A Rock... - 3.30
Marian (Version) - 5.41
FALAA - 4.11
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.06
Logic - 4.48
SKOS - 7.17

Japanese ( still messing with the detail... but ... to date )

Black Planet - 4.22 (different mix to old and new - dwell makes it around 4.35)
Walk Away - 3.23
No Time to Cry -
A Rock... - 3.36 (different mix to old and new )
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

1992 remaster

Black Planet - 4.27 (same as '85 mix but with dwell on the end)
Walk Away - 3.20
No Time to Cry - 3.54
A Rock... - 3.36
Marian (Version) - 5.37
FALAA - 3.58
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.07
Logic - 4.46
SKOS - 7.16

...and of course for those who are into the WEA mixes, there's a new kid on the block, Walk Away (Distance Mix) :innocent: :von:
Goths have feelings too
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

no, the 4 songs mentioned before are different, and as everyone says I agree, the vinyl s**t on the remastered version
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
mh
Above the Chemist

Hmmmm - this goes a certain way towards explaining things: http://myheartland.co.uk/gallery/detail ... age_id=188

Unfortunately, the plans to "put it right" resulted in another cock up!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

mh wrote:Hmmmm - this goes a certain way towards explaining things: http://myheartland.co.uk/gallery/detail ... age_id=188

Unfortunately, the plans to "put it right" resulted in another cock up!!!
"As soon as possible" is another good one. Must be different timescales on Planet Von.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote: Original Version

Cassette, LP, Gatefold LP, Cd longbox version, picture disk
So there is a longbox (US, I presume) version of the CD which contains the original (Vinyl) mixes???

I think this is what a lot of people are trying to find out: Do the original mixes exist on CD.

Could you confirm. Cheers
mugabe

Red_Kola wrote:So there is a longbox (US, I presume) version of the CD which contains the original (Vinyl) mixes???

I think this is what a lot of people are trying to find out: Do the original mixes exist on CD.

I have the US longbox CD. It does not contain the vinyl mixes. AFAIK they do not exist on CD at all.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
paint it black

mugabe wrote:
Red_Kola wrote:So there is a longbox (US, I presume) version of the CD which contains the original (Vinyl) mixes???

I have the US longbox CD. It does not contain the vinyl mixes. AFAIK they do not exist on CD at all.
Mugabe what times are quoted on the US longbox please :?

to clarify things, last night i burnt the 1985 cassette and confimed that to be the same as the G/f's and LP's I have.

so then I could play the 1985 .wav against the Elektra CD and noted obvious differences.

then i burnt the Jap Cd and played that against the 1985 and US Cd's ( can't find my English ones) and whilst not yet detailing everything. Picked pu enough to come to the conclusion it was different to the Cd and the 85 mix.

then i got bored...

finally, i burnt the 92 Remix, but haven't really played that off against anything yet :?

maybe tonight :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

mugabe wrote: I have the US longbox CD. It does not contain the vinyl mixes. AFAIK they do not exist on CD at all.
That's what I thought but then he said....

Actually, if the original mix did ever end up on CD then it would be on the first issue of the US version. This could have been issued concurrently, or very shorty after the vinyl version, perhaps sourced from the original tapes.

This did not happen in the UK - CD players weren't that common here in 85 - so when they finally got round to it, the master tapes were gone and the whole sorry f**k up began

Anyway, what about the 8 track or the quadrophonic versions? :wink:
Last edited by Red_Kola on 22 Jan 2004, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

aren't hobbies a wonderful thing?

;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Drink your weak lemon drink now.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

Red_Kola wrote:Anyway, what about the 8 track or the quadrophonic versions? :wink:
Hehehehehehe :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
allfear

CellThree wrote:The original CD release of FALAA was in the late 80s (1989 I think). I've been trying to hunt down a copy for ages.

I haven't listened to my vinyl copy for years. Time to blow the dust off it I think!
Ive got the original CD release, sounds the same as the Jap LP / Remaster CD version eg the jingle jangle guitar at the start of F&L&A

Matt
mugabe

paint it black wrote:Mugabe what times are quoted on the US longbox please :?
Same as your listed "New version"

Black Planet - 4.35
Walk Away - 3.23
No Time to Cry - 3.53
A Rock... - 3.30
Marian (Version) - 5.41
FALAA - 4.11
Possession - 4.36
Nine While Nine - 4.06
Logic - 4.48
SKOS - 7.17
paint it black wrote: finally, i burnt the 92 Remix, but haven't really played that off against
anything yet :?
Isn't the 1992 version remastered? I considered buying the 1992 issue hoping it would contain the original version of the title track, but never did when I realised it was the same as on all other CD:s.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
paint it black

thanks for that Mugabe :notworthy: :notworthy:

was given a tape alledgedly from first Cd many many years ago. obviously wasn't :evil:

yep, i was in a rush last time. The 92 is remaster not remix. Got it right first time though.

Anyway, here are the results of my findings...

the only exclusive track is rock.. on the japanese version. the Cd and remaster carry the 85 version. :roll:

BP, NTTC, and FALAA are jap on the cd and remaster 8)
Goths have feelings too
mh
Above the Chemist

According to the tours.tsom.org database http://db.tsom.org/releases/pressings/f ... lways.html the originals never made it to CD, with the exception of the original US CD which had the Japanese versions of everything except Amphetamine Logic and SKOS.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Nice find...

And what the hell is the Canadian only mix of Marian???

http://db.tsom.org/releases/first_and_l ... lways.html
paint it black

mh wrote:According to the tours.tsom.org database http://db.tsom.org/releases/pressings/f ... lways.html the originals never made it to CD, with the exception of the original US CD which had the Japanese versions of everything except Amphetamine Logic and SKOS.
...well listen to Rock.. then. The 85 mix has a sliding type sound @ around 3 and 11 seconds, which isn't in the jap mix but then reappears on the Cd. strange :?
Goths have feelings too
Andi K
Road Kill

As I have all the back catalogue since the good ol' Vinyl times, I never knew that there are different versions on CD.

I only recognized as I decided to burn my own CDs out from the mystic depths of the Internetz.

For me the Vinyl Versions of FALAA are better than the CD Version, but I also recognized that the Floodland CD is also different than the Vinyl! Driven like the Snow for example has a Intro that doesn't exit on the Vinyl... or am I talking about already known gossip?
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Andi K wrote:As I have all the back catalogue since the good ol' Vinyl times, I never knew that there are different versions on CD.

I only recognized as I decided to burn my own CDs out from the mystic depths of the Internetz.

For me the Vinyl Versions of FALAA are better than the CD Version, but I also recognized that the Floodland CD is also different than the Vinyl! Driven like the Snow for example has a Intro that doesn't exit on the Vinyl... or am I talking about already known gossip?
No, I noticed that too, when I finally got round to getting "Floodland" on CD, first time I heard it I was like eh? Don't remember this on the intro last time I heard this on vinyl :eek: :? BTW Nice avatar Andi! :) 8)
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Andi is correct.

On most counts, anyway.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
James Blast
Banned

Angelchild wrote:No, I noticed that too, when I finally got round to getting "Floodland" on CD, first time I heard it I was like eh? Don't remember this on the intro last time I heard this on vinyl :eek: :? BTW Nice avatar Andi! :) 8)
It was on the cassette version tho.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
vicus

Red Sunsets wrote:
Angelchild wrote:No, I noticed that too, when I finally got round to getting "Floodland" on CD, first time I heard it I was like eh? Don't remember this on the intro last time I heard this on vinyl :eek: :? BTW Nice avatar Andi! :) 8)
It was on the cassette version tho.
and a different mix of "This Corrosion" by Jim Steinman
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
robertzombie
Overbomber

OK I just ordered the 1988 CD of F&L&A, and I have a few questions.

Am i right in saying that these are all the versions of F&L&A?
LP - 1985 (?)
CD - 1988
CD - 1990
CD - 1992 (Remaster)

Is the 1988 version a "rip" (if you will) of the LP?
What's the difference between the 1988 and the 1990 version.
Is 1992 version a remaster of the LP,'88,'90 version?
Are there any real noticeable differences between all of the versions?
I have 3 "original 1985 mixes" on my PC (BP, ARAAHP, F&L&A). F&L&A has lots of sci-fi flangers all over it, is this the same on the 1988 CD?
What CD are the versions of NTTC & WA on ASCOOB from?

Robert.
oh yeah, and what does "CD Longbox" mean?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

robertzombie wrote:OK I just ordered the 1988 CD of F&L&A, and I have a few questions.

Am i right in saying that these are all the versions of F&L&A?
LP - 1985 (?)
CD - 1988
CD - 1990
CD - 1992 (Remaster)

Is the 1988 version a "rip" (if you will) of the LP?
What's the difference between the 1988 and the 1990 version.
Is 1992 version a remaster of the LP,'88,'90 version?
Are there any real noticeable differences between all of the versions?
I have 3 "original 1985 mixes" on my PC (BP, ARAAHP, F&L&A). F&L&A has lots of sci-fi flangers all over it, is this the same on the 1988 CD?
What CD are the versions of NTTC & WA on ASCOOB from?

Robert.
oh yeah, and what does "CD Longbox" mean?
1988, 1990??? :eek:

Talking about official releases AFAIK there's only a 1985 cd version and a digitally remastered cd pressing in 1992. If there are pressings in 1988 and 1990, I guess they are the same as the 1985 one.

Different versions of the various songs can be found on the WEA Mixes boot....
"as we walk on the floodland"
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

The Vinyl came out in 1985, the first CD was released in 1988 and came with slightly different mixes. The remaster in 1992 had more different mixes. I don't know about the 1990. But you'll get the info you need HERE.
There are noticable differences between mixes. I can't be arsed to list them though!

As for NTTC and WA, they aren't on CD before Slight Case, the same with Body And Soul (but if you want a copy of Blood Money on CD it's on the Tour Thing 91 Promo).

A CD longbox is exactly what it says. For example ( I couldn't find a Sisters one) HERE
24.24.2.489 Deceased