Finally a clear picture of 80s DR AVALANCHE

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Is there anything at all that's been consistent throughout the Doktor's lifetime or do we have to conclude that, unlike the other Doctor, this one has really been a succession of Doktors using the same name rather than regenerations of a single persona?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:Is there anything at all that's been consistent throughout the Doktor's lifetime or do we have to conclude that, unlike the other Doctor, this one has really been a succession of Doktors using the same name rather than regenerations of a single persona?
T.A.R.D.I.S is consistent throughout Doc/k lifetime
The Awesome Robot Drum In Sisters :lol:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
mh
Above the Chemist

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Nice gearpr0n by the way, Machine Regime! :notworthy:

Where's me Kleenex! :lol:

The second machine seems to be 'censored' a bit, of course that's the famous Roland TR 808...

IZ.
Of Ben Gunn notoriety: "Ben Gunn once managed to press the TR808's dangerous red button as we were about to go onstage in Brussels, so Andrew had to reprogram the whole damn machine while everybody else was tuning their guitars up (slowly)."
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

mh wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Nice gearpr0n by the way, Machine Regime! :notworthy:

Where's me Kleenex! :lol:

The second machine seems to be 'censored' a bit, of course that's the famous Roland TR 808...

IZ.
Of Ben Gunn notoriety: "Ben Gunn once managed to press the TR808's dangerous red button as we were about to go onstage in Brussels, so Andrew had to reprogram the whole damn machine while everybody else was tuning their guitars up (slowly)."
Serves them right for not making a data dump! :lol: Then again putting it back was not that obvious in those early days...

On another note, from the 808 manual:

"Two modes are available by pushing the red push button. Before you do press the red button however, make sure
the TR-808 drum is not playing, otherwise the results may be unpredictable."

That might explain the sublime songs they made in those days... "Ben, I'm stuck. Push the PLAY and the RED again willya?"

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Machine Regime wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:
Wouldn't mind at all, Being - thanks. Always found the Doc's pic on the Wiki to be a tad odd and menacing, and therefore pretty cool - but I guess it's time for a change, eh?
... :lol: ... I find it pretty cool as well ... ;D ;D ;D ... and I think it should stay where it is,

a few additions should do no harm, however ... :wink: ...
That'll do me. :D
so ... hope it looks ok ... ;D ...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:
Being645 wrote: ... :lol: ... I find it pretty cool as well ... ;D ;D ;D ... and I think it should stay where it is,

a few additions should do no harm, however ... :wink: ...
That'll do me. :D
Very nice, Sabine! :notworthy:

Great thread btw, I'd say thebest one in Sisters chat for ages :lol:
in dub we trust
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

radiojamaica wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Machine Regime wrote: That'll do me. :D
Very nice, Sabine! :notworthy:

Great thread btw, I'd say thebest one in Sisters chat for ages :lol:

You done good, Being! Wonder if there're any photos (or better yet footage) out there of Eldo programming that thing...
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Being645
Above the Chemist

Machine Regime wrote: You done good, Being! Wonder if there're any photos (or better yet footage) out there of Eldo programming that thing...
I guess there's less chance to that, than see him walking down the streets with a French actress ... :lol: ...

As to the wiki, thanks, all my pleasure ... :D ... anyway, I didn't want to derail this lovely thread ... :oops: ...
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

The huge Dok was at the Leeds 2011 gigs, but they also had a Mac there just to act as the brain.
Another of the reasons that they have shrunken the Doktors head is because of the cost of traveling, and that you have to pay for the weight of stuff.
Andrew quite likes taking the old stuff on the road, but, only if its pratical.
Si has christened the lastest Doks head(s) as a Si pod.
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!
robm
Amphetamine Filth

[img]http://yami_no_miko.tripod.com/nicehair67.jpg[/img]

[url]http://yami_no_miko.tripod.com/nicehair67.html[/url]

:von:
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

robm wrote:[img]http://yami_no_miko.tripod.com/nicehair67.jpg[/img]

[url]http://yami_no_miko.tripod.com/nicehair67.html[/url]

:von:
Last I heard, the Dok was built by BAE or somebody... so it's just a matter of time...
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Kurbythegreat
Amphetamine Filth

This is an awesome thread!! Thanks everyone for the valuable info. And the link to the video shoot-- great stuff. I have to admit. I'd never read that before. Thanks all. :D :D
"We left you sleeping. Now we are sleeping with you. Don't wake up."
the-happening
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:Lovely pictures, Machine Regime ... ;D ...

Would you mind, if I "steal" them for that sad Dr's page in the Wiki ?... :wink: ...
I think the wiki site needs updating to show the DMX rather than the DX as the DMX was used on FALAA and I believe the DX was a stripped down version of the DMX with less features than the DMX as stated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberheim_DMX

Keep up the good work though.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
Izzy HaveMercy

the-happening wrote:

Would you mind, if I "steal" them for that sad Dr's page in the Wiki ?... :wink: ...
I think the wiki site needs updating to show the DMX rather than the DX as the DMX was used on FALAA and I believe the DX was a stripped down version of the DMX with less features than the DMX as stated here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberheim_DMX

The DX was the lighter version of the DMX indeed it only had 18 drum sounds where the DMX had 24.

They look very similar tho, so mistaking one for the other from a distance is not something to be ashamed of ;) (well I would but I'm a freak :lol:)

IZ.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:they always used to use very old, very elaborate hardware that was always breaking down

basically, it was stuff andrew was comfortable using, so he ensured they kept it

however, over the last couple of si has convinced him to move stuff gradually to a more portable solution, hence the mac book pros.

presumably this is also why nurse is pretty much a permanent fixture on stage with them these days... ?

speaking of Mac Book Pro's, can anyone point me in the direction of photo's showing the MB's and illuminated apples in a live situation amidst the smoke and lights?

I recall seeing a couple of good ones from the last batch of gigs, can't recall where :oops:

thanks

FLAGG
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Randall Flagg wrote:
speaking of Mac Book Pro's, can anyone point me in the direction of photo's showing the MB's and illuminated apples in a live situation amidst the smoke and lights?

I recall seeing a couple of good ones from the last batch of gigs, can't recall where :oops:

FLAGG
you mean this?
got the message? ;-)

love is just a shot away
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

the-happening wrote:

The DMX was still used for some parts of Floodland, as was the RX5
Goths have feelings too
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nice work Being!
"as we walk on the floodland"
Izzy HaveMercy

jost 7 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

FLAGG
you mean this?
got the message? ;-)

Cool picture!

I also like how they labelled the Macs with their distinct function ie. (D)rumroll, (O)verhead and (K)ickdrum... ;D

IZ.
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:
the-happening wrote:

The DMX was still used for some parts of Floodland, as was the RX5
They're the ones - though I don't recall the letters in the apples last time around?

thanks
Flagg
czuczu
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:adjusted ...
Pretty sure "The Doktor around 1997" photo was taken onstage at Crystal Palace in '93, I think one of the UTRs said they gave that version to someone as a wedding gift.

Somewhere I have an article from an early 90s tech magazine - about their onstage sound and setup at Reading in '91. From memory, it had pictures of that incarnation of the Doktor and maybe an interview with Pete. Don't think I've seen it online but if I get brave enough to venture into my loft I'll try and find it/scan it.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

if you are interested, here's pix of doc and nurse from gig in Kraków 2009 (31 III):
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/ ... tsom5a.jpg

Being645
Above the Chemist

czuczu wrote:
Being645 wrote:adjusted ...
Pretty sure "The Doktor around 1997" photo was taken onstage at Crystal Palace in '93 ...
Wonderful ... :lol: ...
czuczu wrote: Somewhere I have an article from an early 90s tech magazine - about their onstage sound and setup at Reading in '91. From memory, it had pictures of that incarnation of the Doktor and maybe an interview with Pete. Don't think I've seen it online but if I get brave enough to venture into my loft I'll try and find it/scan it.
That should be an interesting read ...
* Sending plenty deeply encouraging energies across the sea, energies strong enough to scare all sorts of
dust monsters and to deter all spirits of down-dragging weightiness from your entire household until say, overnext year ... :twisted: ;D ...

@Bartek, lovely ... thanks ... ;D :notworthy: ...
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Thought it'd be interesting to pinpoint the evolution of the DokBrain a bit more. Essentially, all it does is run a sequencer, but it also makes Dok more than a drum machine.

DokBrain mk 1 (1986-87)

Compaq 286 Portable

Used on Floodland (never toured)

DokBrain mk 2 (1987-1997?)

Compaq Portable III

Intel 386 cpu, 640kb ram

Runs Dos 3.3

Used on Vision Thing (album & tours)

On tour in 1996?

DokBrain mk 3 (1997?-2011?)

Custom laptop

Intel 486 cpu

Runs Dos 3.3

On the road since the late 90's

Retired in the early 2010's

DokBrain mk 4 (incumbent, 2009?-)

2-3 x Apple MacBook Pro

Was Logic? Now, Cubase

1 laptop for drums

1 laptop for bass/synth

On the road, increasingly, since 2009

Upgrades appear to be preceded by end of manufacturer support. Compaq Portable III went out in 1995, while the i486 cpus were discontinued in late 2007.

DokBrain 2 & 3 and their racks needed two trucks and earned the band a rep for heavy cargo. Adam, and later, Chris, campaigned strenuously to lighten up the load.
"Recently The Doktor – actually a cornucopia of samplers, synths and effects boxes that does the drums and bass at the live shows – underwent an overhaul. We said goodbye to the dead DOS 3.3 computers. We now run the live MIDI info from a bunch of Macs into the various samplers." - Chris, 2016
The switch was not as cut and dry as Chris suggests. The McDok was, apparently, first spotted on stage during the 2009 tour (see Athens, Berlin), but it often seemed to be a backup. An official passing of the baton may or may not have occurred at the opening stages of the XXX tour.

Maybe Snow Leopard (rel. 2009) is the OS du jour. That'd version-lock their Cubase, but since they "only" run MIDI with it, they may now be carrying 15-year-old MacBooks around.