Roger Waters & The Who in Hyde Park

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The "winning tickets" mojo is switched ON.

Result, i just won tix to see both Hyde Park Calling shows this weekend. Waters is joined by Nick Mason & will be performing the "Dark Side of the Moon" album in full ~ the footy will be on a big screen beforehand there's a Real Ale tent. Pretty spiffy.

Any other HLers going?

And last week i won tix to Depeche Mode (also in Hyde Park) ~ i wore my Utilikilt (any excuse!) and saw several Silver Bullet shirts in the crowd ~ a top day out at the puppetshow!

If only i'd won tickets to The Sisters at one of the festivals too, but hey :)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i gather reverberater and his missus are going down to this 8)

thats their excuse for missing puressence in manc tomorrow anyway ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Wooooww, hope it's a storming gig. Can we have incisive reviews please? Roger Waters cracks me up, and gets me thinking.

And it's Roger Waters on Saturday, followed by Roger Daltrey on Sunday. Try saying Roger over and over, then try not to smile.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Went down for Roger Waters on the Saturday.

Fantastic, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Great set, fantastic show made all the better by Nick Mason being on for the entire second half.
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
hellboy69

Seconded, Mr Rhombus ~ WHAT a show. As The Guardian Guide quipped, "it's good to put some bummer in your summer".

"Set the Controls..." was a real highlight for me as was "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and it was great to hear "Perfect Sense" getting a workout, very loud & very proud!

"Leaving Beirut", although rather heavy handed with its message was presented with an animated comic book strip based on Waters' experiences of being taken in and offered food and lodging from a selfless Arab family when he was 17.

The back projections were amazing ~ in true prog style, an astronaut on wires "floated" in front of constellations at one point! The uber-loud surround sound was fantastic especially for all the Dark Side of the Moon voices and sound effects.

Crowd at Roger Waters

Texas was a very poor choice of support, and they played during the last 20mins of the England match, which was suicide! Spiteri thought the footy fans were booing the band (not Portugal surely?) and started hurling insults "f**king neanderthal men" etc. Most of the fans were behaving well ~ a curious blend of footy nutters and Floyd hippies :D But when the game was over, it seems someone threw a shoe at Spiteri ~ she stopped the band playing and hurled more insults and abuse at the crowd before finishing the song. Okay, not cool that someone threw something at her, but she could've been more professional about it. Or maybe the band should've waited until after the match and played a shorter set. Or maybe not played at all :innocent: Neil Young's "The Damage Done" boomed out before Waters' set which seemed to soothe the footy fans and made me chortle re: Spiteri's outbursts.

The Who was great last night as well, although i preferred the Waters show. A shame that Primal Scream were relegated to the 2nd stage, inside a tent designed to hold about 500 people... 'cos no-one wanted to see Razorlight on the main stage that's for sure :D

The Who have been recording & 3 of these new tracks went down well as part of the main set ~ the rest of course were classics including an acoustic "Quadrophenia sea shanty" interlude from Townsend as he put it (Drowning i think) & a stonking Tommy encore. My fave was "Won't Get Fooled Again" ~ just brilliant. Hope i can still rock like that when i'm in my 60s...

(The) Moon did appear at The Who show...
(sorry!)

Oh dear...
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

The quadraphonic sound was something else!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the write up. Sounds wicked. Maybe other stadium bands should follow RW's sound system.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

It's all over YouTube. Comfortably Numb is a beautiful song.
allfear

Bollocks!!!!!!! Didnt know Ed and co were down, Waters gig was tops, ive never seen anyone enjoy himself on stage so much as NBM that night!!!!

was brilliant

matt

PS Ill blog up my waters photos soon