Bad Vultee (SSV-NSMABAAOTWMODAACOTIATW)

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
eotunun
Overbomber

I listened closely for the first time. And being an aviation junky stumbled over Bad Vultee. The Wing data read out in the "lyrics" first made me think of the Vultee Vengeance, which might have fitted the general purpose of the SSV album. But the data fit on the wing of the famous B24 Liberator (110ft wingspan, 1048sqft area). As this song is a part of the liberation from the WEA -contract this would have nade sense. Only fusselage length weights and height don't match. I didn't find exact data yet, but I am pretty sure that the winner is:
The PBY 4 Privateer :
...which doesn't seem to make sense at all.
Now that we know it we can sleep again.
And now I know why I spent my childhood and youth building plastic models and reading books on aircraft.
m*****n complete, it seems. You may shoot me now. :|
There is shadow under this red rock
EvilBastard
Overbomber

It might make sense that Bad Vultee refers to the privateer - after all, after :von: was "liberated" from the EW contract he was effectively a free agent, or privateer.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
eotunun
Overbomber

So it's enough evidence to call it a hit?
We are delighted!
Vengeance-Liberator-Privateer nearly line up for some dramaturgical order..
I don't think this is intended like *that*, but it looks fitting.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

[geek hat]

Well now, this has got me to thinking - most of the specs line up: wingspan, length, and wing area are all the same.

However, height and empty weight are off by 11.5" and approx 12,000lbs respectively. This might indicate that :von: is referring to a variant of the Privateer.

Now here's something funny: the height in the lyrics (29' 1.5") is closer to the (P4Y-2) Privateer's 29' 2" than the PBY-4. The empty weights are also closer - lyrics, 39,400lbs, P4Y-2, 36,950lbs.

Given that :von: is something of a wordsmith, it could be argued that the P4Y-2 is the model he's referring to - the number 4 is often used in place of the letter A on license plates and things. If this is the case in this instance, what we have is a song called Pay To Privateer, literally "Pay up, suckers - I'm a free agent now."

[/geek hat]
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Dark
Underneath the Rock

<cynicism hat>Maybe he just made bits of it up</hat> :|
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

EvilBastard wrote:[geek hat]

Well now, this has got me to thinking - most of the specs line up: wingspan, length, and wing area are all the same.

However, height and empty weight are off by 11.5" and approx 12,000lbs respectively. This might indicate that :von: is referring to a variant of the Privateer.

Now here's something funny: the height in the lyrics (29' 1.5") is closer to the (P4Y-2) Privateer's 29' 2" than the PBY-4. The empty weights are also closer - lyrics, 39,400lbs, P4Y-2, 36,950lbs.

Given that :von: is something of a wordsmith, it could be argued that the P4Y-2 is the model he's referring to - the number 4 is often used in place of the letter A on license plates and things. If this is the case in this instance, what we have is a song called Pay To Privateer, literally "Pay up, suckers - I'm a free agent now."

[/geek hat]
I believe that's [OCD hat], sir... ;) :P :lol:

<---(hypocrite, of course) ;) ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
eotunun
Overbomber

interesting thought.. :D