about that album

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

this is what i found - not on purpose, tho. And maybe this is long-discussed pre-Dinky material.

posted on October 2004 by someone called COSMO

There's still no sign of the new Sisters single. At their Philly show in 1998/1999 they played a handfull of new songs and Andy E. said "This will be on our new album". From what I remember, the single was supposed to have been released April or May of 2000 and then the full length would have been released that summer. That's what their then-guitarist (forget his name, but he was in Red Lorry Yellow Lorry) told me. He left the band though between when I saw them in 1998 and when I saw them again in 2000

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ulti ... 3/p/1.html

Who was in RLYL anyway?
guns & cars & accidents
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Heh...what is this? "Try to put as many errors and false facts you can find into one post" :wink:

Or have I seriously misunderstood what Cosmo is talking about?

They played Philly in 97 and 99.

The single Summer was supposed to be released in April 98, and the full-length later that year.

Adam was the one in RLYL and quit playing for the Sisters in 2005.

Mike Varjak left 99 or 2000, but I'm sure he wasn't in RLYL.

Oh well. Maybe someone else knows more..?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/news/recnews.htm

"We are working on an album, inter alia, but the matter of single releases is currently on hold."

Has been there for about ten years I think.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Now I get nostalgic, being reminded of 1998...what a fine year that was! The festivals, the winter tour, the new songs, the hope, the feeling of a new start for the band...and listen to the voice on the widespread Forum concert!

Possibly the most vibrant Sisters year after 1990 - cheers to 1998 :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

euphoria wrote:Now I get nostalgic, being reminded of 1998...what a fine year that was! The festivals, the winter tour, the new songs, the hope, the feeling of a new start for the band...and listen to the voice on the widespread Forum concert!

Yeah. So what happened in the last ten years? Absolutely nothing. It's disheartening, isn't it?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
christophe
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
euphoria wrote:Now I get nostalgic, being reminded of 1998...what a fine year that was! The festivals, the winter tour, the new songs, the hope, the feeling of a new start for the band...and listen to the voice on the widespread Forum concert!

Yeah. So what happened in the last ten years? Absolutely nothing. It's disheartening, isn't it?
nothing but Good things :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/news/recnews.htm

"We are working on an album, inter alia, but the matter of single releases is currently on hold."

of course. But hey.
guns & cars & accidents
eotunun
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/news/recnews.htm

Seriously: Wouldn't we all die from nervous overload if that page ever changed? :|
There is shadow under this red rock
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Why should he edit or create webpages just so that you can talk about it on the forums and come up with more stupid s**t to say about him? (i'm using 'you' in plural here, not referring to anyone, like eotunun, in particular - i'm sure the people included in this particular 'anyone' can imagine it themselves)
we've got beer and we've got fuel
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, no, he doesn't owe 'us' anything, I suppose. Just, I don't know, it might be nice to have something new to talk about...
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

The "on the new album" part (Philly 97) was called Buttf*ck Parlour Time... :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Why are people's lives so empty that they look towards rock bands to contribute topics for discussion?

If Sisters didn't exist, would you not have anything to talk about?

i love talking about the Sisters as much as any other fan but it simply would never occur to me to expect someone to provide me with things to think or talk about. If something happens with the Sisters that's great, if not, i haven't lost anything at all but still gained everything Eldritch has ever done that has touched me. (Which is btw what Axl also said to his "fans" awaiting for Chinese Democracy).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

itnAklipse wrote:If Sisters didn't exist, would you not have anything to talk about?
:lol: I perhaps should have said "it might be nice to have something new about the Sisters to talk about..."
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

itnAklipse wrote:Why should he edit or create webpages just so that you can talk about it on the forums and come up with more stupid s**t to say about him? (i'm using 'you' in plural here, not referring to anyone, like eotunun, in particular - i'm sure the people included in this particular 'anyone' can imagine it themselves)
i'm not sure that i ever talk shit about eldritch -though it's undeniable that i talk an awful lot of shit in general (if you were just exposed to the message in its unadulterated form you would probably have to lie down and drink ginseng-and-mogadon infusions until you were sure that your head wasn't going to explode and make a mess of your mums carpet)- but i have a childish need to be part of the group of people you are being disparaging about dei. hmmm....this should do:

"andrew eldritch came round the other day to borrow a cup of sugar. being naturally distrustful of short people, i insisted he give me something by way of security. desperate for a couple of spoonsful to sprinkle on his weetabix he had no choice but to give me the master copies of the new album (which he had handily just hummed into his dictaphone) which, (providing the safe return of said sugar) could ready for release next whenever." ;D
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i'm not being disparaging about any group of people, i always disparage either some or all of the individuals that make up a certain group.
People who have a need of belonging to a group to an extent that they will take part in stupidities and take a defensive stand against any criticism directed at either the group's collective behaviour or the behaviour of certain individuals in the group, are pretty....pretty....pretty....very....sad.

mf: Yeah :) i'm glad it's so.
mh
Above the Chemist

We're not really that far removed from our tribal ancestors as some might like to think, and the fact that there are substantial parts of the world's population who are biologically the same species but still live that way is all the proof anyone should need. So yeah, wanting to be part of a group, indulge in stupidities, and all the rest is a natural and normal part of human behaviour.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Sure, but not partaken by the more sensitive/thoughtful.

i'm not denying nature at all, nor saying there's anything wrong with instincts, i'm just saying that we have the ability to overcome instinctive behaviour when it's purposeful to do so.
An example: 'i feel hungry -> i go eat' can be overcome by a simple thought process in between the sensation and the reaction. So similarly, 'someone says something bad about my friend -> go bash the offending party in the head' can be overcome by looking at what exactly happened. Other animals are not as blindly instinctive either as people would like to think.

But i am by no means advocating that instincts or any sort of natural behaviour should be subdued. Just that thinking, analysing and sensing are just as natural, normal and healthy.

It's true that the level of self-awareness varies greatly between people. Not inherently, i hope, but because of psychological factors and the choises one makes due to them. At any rate, i'm the kind who wants to think that everyone is capable of anything.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

itnAklipse wrote:i'm not being disparaging about any group of people, i always disparage either some or all of the individuals that make up a certain group.
People who have a need of belonging to a group to an extent that they will take part in stupidities and take a defensive stand against any criticism directed at either the group's collective behaviour or the behaviour of certain individuals in the group, are pretty....pretty....pretty....very....sad..
or they may just be taking the piss...(and, it''s fair to say, hardly subtlely.) :wink:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Well, we both know what the internet is allergic to :lol: i see now that though i had a particular tone of voice in mind when i typed my answer perchance that didn't come out in the written word that well, either... :P

But you see? i didn't get angry at you talking s**t about Eldritch :D
Dark
Underneath the Rock

itnAklipse wrote:(i'm using 'you' in plural here, not referring to anyone, like eotunun, in particular - i'm sure the people included in this particular 'anyone' can imagine it themselves)
You do realise that the whole "I'm using the impersonal version of "you"" statement can be completely avoided by using the pronoun "one", which is how it should be? :roll:
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

imo.. one can all talk s**t about :von: as much as you like, but with conversations like the above i think it's him having a good laugh at it..
just can't believe that one would take such discussions trough such lenghts and thoughts and start analizing the individual vs group behaviour..

true, we'd all have a stroke if that album page changed one day.. and it's always much more fun and exciting if something new happens on the sisters front instead of having to milk the same stories every other day.. just look at the joy and hope the recent "good things" brought us all..

personally i love it when :von: gives a big "f**k you" in the face of all who doubt him or start losing faith in him and his Sisters.. and i'm amongst those who still believe and hope for "that new album".. whenever that might be..

the only sad ppl are those who take it all just a little too serious..

btw: the will and need to belong to a group is part of what makes us human, which doesn't mean you can't be an individual inside the group.. and you always are part of a group, being at work, family, friends.. all groups..
if you say you rather be a lonely individual, you're the sad one and deserve to die alone.. ;)
at the end of the day, even our fearless leader :von: has the urge to be part of a group..

goodnight and thank you
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
James Blast
Banned

well said that man :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ghostrider wrote: btw: the will and need to belong to a group is part of what makes us human
Disgusting, isn't it? That's the weak spot of humanity and will be its downfall.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Ghostrider wrote:just can't believe that one would take such discussions trough such lenghts and thoughts and start analizing the individual vs group behaviour..
Just realize that you and i have nothing in common and look at the world very differently. If i take things too seriously according to your standards, that is my right and i hardly care if Von would laugh at it or not (it would actually be best to leave Von out of this, i have no idea why you're concerned about what he'd think of the discussion - if he laughed at the discussion at my face, i'd ask him about it, otherwise it hardly matters).
We have entirely different standards, you and i, but the sad thing is that it seems to me you have no standards and you don't think about things too much.
Intellectual masturbation is actually fun to me and if i seem to take things too seriously for your taste, i might be laughing my head off, figurativelly, myself. Fact is, i like thinking, and expressing myself.

And i disagree that belonging to a group is part of what makes us human, it's meaningless crap like that that's part of what's wrong with humanity. But i never denied that belonging to a group is natural, which you of course are too daft to realize.

Here's what i think: i could think YOU take things way too seriously, because there's absolutely no reason for you to start criticising the discussion. Except i know that's not quite true. i think your brain isn't used to thinking and thus when faced with a real discussion a safety valve goes off and you resort to an idiotic maneuver to shake it off (and i'm not saying that as an insult, it's just typical example of compensation).

i btw also have a very different idea of what is the famous so-called 'heartland effect' than most here. This is a very very good example of it in action in my eyes. i know exactly what this forum is about, why it exists and why people like you say the things you do supported by a chorus of tortoises. Because of that, i hardly should be replying to this but some impressoinable innocent soul might be reading this, so i take the trouble to, anyway.

Dark: Seems i learn something new every day :lol: Thanks.

EDIT: i like this piece of lyrics from Gn'R, it got to me even back in high school, which is a considerable time ago:
"when i look around
everybody always brings me down
well is it them or me
well i just can't see
but there ain't no peace to found"
James Blast
Banned

well done, that's humourless angst and a wonderful example of doggerel to boot
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele