war on drugs

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

well, maybe some nice english bloke could confirm that:
war on drugs can mean both 'war aginst drugs' and 'war while using drugs' - right?
thx
love is just a shot away
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

yes...thats my impression of it
Petseri
Overbomber

That is my take as well. Neither of the replies to your post have been by "English blokes" yet, so you may want to wait for confirmation. :P

Martin
James Blast
Banned

Not English, Scottish but in Mr. E's sphere of thought I always read it as "let's, sit down, do some, turn on CNN or whatever, and view the war (in the east) whilst out of our gourds".
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

all the above interpretations sound perfectly valid to me 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well, the American Air Force regularly do "the war on drugs": Clicky Linky Thing.

It's the usual :von: thing of multiple layers of meaning in the lyrics.

PS Perhaps this should move to lyrics? QB?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

good point. its turning into a discussion of the song and its lyrics :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Black Horizon wrote:It obviously means 'War while using drugs'. Eldritch is a Speed freak and a Cocaine freak and the lyrics are reffering to taking drugs if you read them properly. http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/lyrics/warond.htm
Has Von made references to coke? Speed we all know. Also, care to offer up an interpretation? It's a neat little song, two verses nearly identical.

'Head on down the delta' - reference to Kurtz?

'Head on back to Kirkstall' (Yorkshire) - personalizing the whole thing, trip, experience, the war done while on drugs

What about seven shades of shiva? Or I am come?

Wah-hoo!
hallucienate
Overbomber

Electrochrome wrote:
Black Horizon wrote:It obviously means 'War while using drugs'. Eldritch is a Speed freak and a Cocaine freak and the lyrics are reffering to taking drugs if you read them properly. http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/lyrics/warond.htm
Has Von made references to coke? Speed we all know.
That also crossed my mind... :?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Black Horizon wrote:During the 'Floodland' era, all he lived on was Cocaine and Coffee. That's the reason why Patsy was in The Sisters, to be his baby sitter. I mean you all know she never even played on 'Floodland'.
anybody confirm the coke and coffee bit? I agree about Patsy not playing on the album though.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Last edited by paint it black on 20 Apr 2004, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Goths have feelings too
paint it black

hallucienate wrote:
Black Horizon wrote:During the 'Floodland' era, all he lived on was Cocaine and Coffee. That's the reason why Patsy was in The Sisters, to be his baby sitter. I mean you all know she never even played on 'Floodland'.
anybody confirm the coke and coffee bit? I agree about Patsy not playing on the album though.
didn't he only do coke once? or am i dreaming?

crystal meth was the drug of choice :wink:
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

don't need the smell of incense, in the morning haze

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

'Head on down the delta'

Mekong delta - big drug supplier
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

btw - shiva as far as i know, relates to blow, which makes more sense

Goths have feelings too
christophe
Overbomber

@ paint it black
:notworthy: :notworthy: you are the best. :wink:
I want to know where the wah-hoo stands for. :?:
Another Shade of You.
Silver_Owl
The Don

He's obviously paying homage to the greatest war film of all time; Apocolypse Now!.
Its all there in the words baby.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

"Some day, this war's gonna end..."

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

Hopper/Eldritch - all the same to me.

That's dialectic physics man!
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

He's out there man....
~ Peter Steele
Electrochrome

He said he cut out the drinking completely to get business done and that he had to get healthy and fit, which I assumed meaned cutting out or cutting down on speed. Wouldn't have figured him to be a cokehead, but who knows.

As for Patsy, yeah, she was the babysitter alright. Never played on the album, and basically kept Eldo in line to some degree I guess. When Floodland was a success, she got axed none too diplomatically, but such is the cost of a quality piece of art!
Electrochrome

Steve303 wrote:He's obviously paying homage to the greatest war film of all time; Apocolypse Now!.
Its all there in the words baby.
Confirming suspicions, yep. Trees turning orange in the haze - napalm. Seven shades of shiva - shiva is a Hindu deity of sorts worshipped as the destroyer of worlds. And also one who can restore worlds, something to that effect if I remember.

It's the old Kurtz / Eldritch model, as he referred to in an interview long, long ago (Mr Kurtz, he dead.)

A very appropriate song to introduce back in 1997, when the whole East West thing was finally over, and Kurtz was set to return. Well, he's been back, on stage at least. Too bad Kurtz can't get a record deal...
Electrochrome

Sorry--meant 'turn orange in the rays'. :wink:
paint it black

you don't think it might we a dodgy druggy taking a stance against Jack Straw's (need to check that ) policy on drugs. Copying the Nixon model :?

The war on drugs would then be the fight back against the war on drugs, by being on drugs, if you see what i mean?

the seven shades could be many things, but certainally, they stand alone as enhanced perception from being high - and hence rising :roll:

the trip to the delta might be akin to popping to the chemist :wink:

blow is called shaiva because the hindi present to their god. something like that, but it's late, i'm tired and i need to sleep :eek:

the A.N reference are all too obvious, for it to really be a homage. IMHO
Goths have feelings too