A brief history of goth at the Phono

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

A brief history of goth at the Phono
http://www.sheepish.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58

an interesting read :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Re-opened in 1996 after being shut for ten years? Surely it was still open after 86? And not as a a tropicana bar.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You're right Harry. If it wasn't open between 1990 and about 1994 then where the f*** did I spend all that time? I must have taken a lot more drugs than I thought. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dave R
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Was NOT shut for ten years at all!!

God, me and the lads from Wolves would travel up regular as clockwork every saturday all thru 89 - 91 either up to the phono in Leeds or Planet in L'pool, sometimes both the same day if we could keep our driver sober...

50p in and a washer for your troubles...hand it in at the bar for a warm bottle of pils...

Course, this was after the only decent venue in our neck of the woods shut down...the Barrel organ in Birmingham - was the only place to be seen/go/live during the early eighties...

Ah, memories....

And was Floorshow written bout the phono or the Warehouse...cos i'm sure that was where Almond DJ'd, have a dogy old video of a Soft Cell gig at the Warehouse, made it onto a Yorkshire TV Documentary.....
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC Body Electric is the Phono, Floorshow is the Warehouse. And I think you're right; I've seen that video too and it's definitely the Warehouse.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:IIRC Body Electric is the Phono, Floorshow is the Warehouse. And I think you're right; I've seen that video too and it's definitely the Warehouse.
aye, the one with a very young richard madley (sp?) (from "this morning" and "richard & judy") in a dinner jacket? talking about "new romantics"? :lol:
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

And the bit about 'The Mish in one corner and Eldritch in the other'. Surely Eldritch had buggered off to Hamburg by the time the Mutton would have been there? And where's 'there'? The Faversham? Perhaps. The Phono? Too small to contain that many egos, surely? The Warehouse? Last went there circa 1985 and Duran Duran seemed to be taking over.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

markfiend wrote:IIRC Body Electric is the Phono, Floorshow is the Warehouse.
That was always my impression too:

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2982
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thrash Harry wrote:
markfiend wrote:IIRC Body Electric is the Phono, Floorshow is the Warehouse.
That was always my impression too:

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2982
OK, yeah, it looks like you and I read the "bathroom walls" bit the same way. It just seemed blatantly obvious the first time I went in there.

The Hussey and Eldo both used to be spottable in the Fav from time to time even quite recently; (I dunno, they both may still go occasionally? I've not been to the Fav for a while) but I'd agree that it's unlikely that you'd see either in the Phono. Especially now :lol: If you're 20 you're too old to get in these days (other than the sad old goff night they do on Sundays).
—Bertrand Russell
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

As a wise man once said:
The Net is allergic to truth and reason.
;)
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Don't know whether this was cause or effect, but the guy who managed the Faversham around 83/ 84 also used to DJ at the Phono, which was owned by a pair of Noel Edmonds lookalike twins. There were also a couple of guys who really pushed Alice and Floorshow at the Leeds University Union Thursday night shindig, or Cattle Market, as it was affectionately known (probably located where the Wendy House is now). In fact one of them was the guy who ran against Andy Kershaw for Ents Secretary, primarily on the basis that he would invite the Sisters to play at the Refectory, as Kershaw had refused to do cos he didn't like them. The guy got in and lo and behold the Sisters return to Leeds University in May 1984.