incoming!!! sisters lyrics suck...

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
hippie-bullsh-t-hater
Road Kill

like "ribbons" for instance seems to me as a senseless lyrics ( there are simply a few sentences by chance connected)
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

@ H.B.H

Don't get me wrong...:roll: :roll: :roll:
However, I seem to think that the phrase "simply a few sentences by chance connected" could probably summarise much of rawk'n'roll/pop music since time imemmorial...And, in a way, wot's wrong wiv dat?????
:???: :???: :???:
Does one always have to listen closely to the lyrics in EVERY song EVER before giving a song the thumbs up..?

I have to say...Vision Thing (and bl**dy 'ribbons' in particular is no fave of mine) is lite on lyrics in some ways, but it still has some decent choonz...

Thus begins (perhaps once again) the Words-v-Music-Debate...And it's a good 'un..!
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :von: :von: :von: :von: :von:

PS: this is p'raps a chance for everyone to air their favourite sh*t lyrics, sisters or otherwise???? i seem t'think there's at least a couple out there...

I'll get me three-nil-victory-against-the-Danes-hoo-bl**dy-raaah coat... :wink:
Amused to death...
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Ill hold my hands up and say that the lyrics have never been an important part of me loving the Sisters music.

Those who are better read than myself and more in tune with Eldo may well be right when they sing his praises and fair play to him but when i hear Temple of love or Ribbons or First and Last, it aint the lyrics that make m want to jump around and expresss my rhythmic joy.

I guess hes talented to have the ability to create both music and lyrics that are very good !

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Clearly a petulant attempt to stir up some controversy. But I'm gonna take the bait anyway. I'm feeling kinda mean today.
Eldritch rarely employs linear narrative in his lyrics. Generally, the lyrics provoke feelings and images - a certain resonance in the psyche. I could go on but in this case AE is far better qualified to administer a right good verbal kicking.
The following is an excerpt from an interview conducted by Alexa Williamson in May '97. You might also want to check out the excellent "1959 and All That website".

Also, you’ve been quoted as saying in a February 1996 interview with the Dutch publication Hardrock and Heavy Metal Magazine (I read an English translation of this), "the young people of today just don’t have the ability to review a text with any level of intelligence", hence they don’t understand the "the ironic subtone" or "images and symbols" in your lyrics? Do you still find this?

"It varies from place to place, culture to culture, and generation to generation. I don't remember whether the Dutch interview was referring particularly to Britain, America, heavy metal fans in Holland or the child prostitutes of Bombay. Overall, things certainly seem harder than they were twenty years ago, when Dylan, Cohen and the rest could unselfconsciously refer to things which are no longer familiar to people, thereby speaking a language with a larger vocabulary, without the need to spell everything out.

David Bowie was telling me recently how great Damien Hirst is, and how Damien was very excited when told about the minotaur myth. I was shocked that Damien didn't already know it. Sorry David, but how can Hirst be such a great artist if he lacks a basic knowledge of history/myth/symbolism, if he lacks the vocabulary, the ability to insert visual shorthand like a hypertext link? And how much less rich an experience is it for the viewer who lacks the ability to recognise and follow such links?

Postmodernism surely requires an even greater grasp of symbolism, as it's increasingly an art of gesture alone. If Damien's at all clever, it's because he's recognised that modern art has disappeared up its own backside, and drawn the only logical conclusion about his place in the scheme of things. There's a boy that's going places, even if he smells funny.

Anyway, back to business... Leonard Cohen tells me he would no longer bother to write a song about Isaac, because people wouldn't know what he was on about. That doesn't only diminish the vocabulary of songs, it has wider implications. If the reference points for our whole belief system are forgotten, we find it that much harder to understand a shared belief system, or even to disagree coherently with a shared belief system. We end up in a vicious circle of incoherent, half-baked individual utlitarianism where nobody has any belief system at all and we lose the ability to communicate with each other. I think that's one reason why football is so popular again - it's a game which the citizen can focus on, where the rules are defined. Unlike his life. The citizen is becoming a pawn in a game where nobody knows the rules, where everybody consequently doubts that there are rules at all, and where the vocabulary has been diminished to such an extent that nobody is even sure what the game is all about. Hence the concomitant rise of fads like astrology, spiritualism, and generic "I want to believe"-ism. I'm a humanist. I believe people should be able to sort themselves out, as does the Judeo-Christian tradition, obviously, but for rather different reasons. Even for Western-European humanists, it's helpful to know about Isaac and Abraham for any discussion of belief/hope/obligation, especially if we wish to join a discussion which has been developed over two thousand years. It's a bit tedious to have to start the discussion from scratch every time by mulling over yesterday's soap-opera with the few people who actually watched it.

Certain extraneous developments have helped in ways one might not expect. Let's get back to hypertext for a moment. Remember that the Web is basically "text for people who can't read" (Trenchant Remark, © A. Eldritch), but it's merely hypertext coupled with the physical hypertext of the Net's hardware. Now that hypertext is widely familiar, it's easier to explain how allusion works to people who would otherwise be completely flummoxed by the very concept. That's why I just tried to.

It's nevertheless hard to talk to Thatcher's Children. Apart from anything else, they have no concept of right and wrong beyond an apathetic and half-baked utilitarianism. I was recently asked if we are "relevant to them". Probably not. Proust is probably not "relevant to them". He's clever and funny and useful, but they haven't got the faintest idea what he's on about. I've been described (by myself, of course) as "Kierkegaard meets Elvis". They may have heard of Elvis, but he didn't wear adidas, and they probably think that Kierkegaard is about as much use as a dead Danish philosopher. Which he is. Is he relevant to them? I think so. Would they agree? I doubt it.

The problem is, the things that decide their lives are not "relevant to them". The nuances of emotional politics are not "relevant to them". They have lost touch with the fabric of their lives and they don't even know how to have a good time without falling victim to the corporate fashion fascists and the evil social engineers of Thatcherite Britain.

That makes the Sisters more necessary, but it does make things difficult. It means our tunes have to be that much better than everybody else's ...but of course they are."
:von: :von: :von: :von: :von: :von:

You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh yes,
I remember that interview ... think I've even got it somewhere ...
hard to believe where we are now ...
maybe somewhat lost under "the sidewalks and trees" ...
Debi

i remember that one too. and he's right. just look at lyrics nowadays. christ - take pink as an example.

need i say more.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Debi wrote:i remember that one too. and he's right. just look at lyrics nowadays. christ - take pink as an example.

need i say more.
I do like lyrics nowadays ... but what about lyrics for tomorrow ...
(I have no doubt, Arms is cool ...)

In my perception, Pink has been a real great machine from the beginning.
They make good fun and do a good job there, I think (I'm not exactly deep into it, though.
It touches me, but in a very different way, not so :oops: - :eek: - :oops: - :D ).

And she couldn't do what others ought to, because
- I hate to say this :urff: but I think it is the bitter truth in our
post-submarine-post-spaceship world - she's a woman ... rock as she will.

I can only pray, you get me right. :oops:
I'm not talking about women's rights or men's rights.
I'm talking about (means of) communication.

:innocent:
Debi

oh theres no doubt that pink has her place - and very popular she is too.

its just "in my view" very throwawayable music.

it doesn't "touch" you

nor make you really think about the meaning

but hey, what do i know!?

as long as you listen to what makes you happy and you get something out of it whether thats just the tune or something more like emotion or personal meaning for you then it works : )
Being645
Above the Chemist

Absolutely 8)
Memphis Rich

Did someone drop a bomb? Incoming!
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh, if you go for a walk you might find a few craters ... :wink: ...
Memphis Rich

And that's just in the complexion
Words are just turds
In sewers of sound
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

For a very long time the official Sisters homepage said:

"Elvis and Kierkegaard" after the bit about "97 million words..."

I think Elvis represents the music and the pomp and act. Kierkegaard represents the lyrics. If you understand how K wrote his books you'll understand how Andy writes his lyrics. Maybe. ;)
"... because we're that kind of people."