Nine while Nine demo!?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

see mr marx's post here

i asked him to clarify his comment about a demo of "9 while 9" that he made on the above-mentioned thread... i thought his reply was worth a thread of its own as it might start a little discussion :o

it appears there is another FALAA-era demo track that has yet to see the light of day entitled 'Child Of Light' ;)
I wasn't been deliberately provocative - I have often wondered how the 'Red Skies' song leaked out on bootleg and naturally assumed if it was doing the rounds then the Nine while Nine version recorded at the same time was out there too.

It had the working title 'Child Of Light' and contained a line which mentions 'the children of the dust..' When we were deciding on a title for FALAA I pitched that one in even though it didn't seem likely the lyric would surface on the finished version. Quite reasonably the Von pointed out that we were over egging the 'something of something' being called the Sisters of Mercy after all.

I think I mentioned nabbing some of the words for a later Ghost dance song (A Deeper Blue) on the www.ghostdance.co.uk recording diaries.
lordy :eek: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Lowrider
Road Kill

well, I've never heard that, sorry to be unhelpful -- but I was amused to see that even fellow band members called AE 'The Von'. :lol:
And something tells me that when nothing is left on this planet except nuclear waste
and cockroaches - there'll still be Lemmy -- AE
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:see mr marx's post here

i asked him to clarify his comment about a demo of "9 while 9" that he made on the above-mentioned thread... i thought his reply was worth a thread of its own as it might start a little discussion :o

it appears there is another FALAA-era demo track that has yet to see the light of day entitled 'Child Of Light' ;)
I wasn't been deliberately provocative - I have often wondered how the 'Red Skies' song leaked out on bootleg and naturally assumed if it was doing the rounds then the Nine while Nine version recorded at the same time was out there too.

It had the working title 'Child Of Light' and contained a line which mentions 'the children of the dust..' When we were deciding on a title for FALAA I pitched that one in even though it didn't seem likely the lyric would surface on the finished version. Quite reasonably the Von pointed out that we were over egging the 'something of something' being called the Sisters of Mercy after all.

I think I mentioned nabbing some of the words for a later Ghost dance song (A Deeper Blue) on the www.ghostdance.co.uk recording diaries.
lordy :eek: 8)

...and what are our possibilities to listen to this song please,
what do we have to do?
i just feel ready to do almost(!!) anything..... haloooooooo.....
hallucienate
Overbomber

sunset yellow wrote:...and what are our possibilities to listen to this song please,
what do we have to do?
i just feel ready to do almost(!!) anything..... haloooooooo.....
yes, don't make me start waving around this Red Star Upgrade thingy :innocent:
Petseri
Overbomber

Is it time to dust off Robin's email address and drop him a note to see if he can offer any insight?

Martin
Dan
Overbomber

Robin won't have it or he'd have mentioned it along with all the other rare stuff you weren't allowed to have.

Dammit Quiffy, you should have told Mr Marx that "Yes, we do have a copy but the quality is a bit poor and can I have a nice new copy please Mr Marx Sir." :lol: :D :lol: :D :eek: :lol: :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dan wrote:Robin won't have it or he'd have mentioned it along with all the other rare stuff you weren't allowed to have.

Dammit Quiffy, you should have told Mr Marx that "Yes, we do have a copy but the quality is a bit poor and can I have a nice new copy please Mr Marx Sir." :lol: :D :lol: :D :eek: :lol: :D
daaargh! you're right... i wasn't quick thinking enough :( :lol:
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Wow, this is quite exciting, isn't it? I wouldn't know whether Gary would have a copy himself, whether he keeps this kind of memorabilia at all. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't, not least since if it was well known some nutter might pop over his fence with a balaclava and a jiffy bag one night. In a way it's nice to know that there's stuff out there we may never get our hands on. Not to say that I wouldn't love to hear the James Ray version of This Corrosion etc, but still, we don't want to explode all the mysteries at once, do we?

Sounds like a nice chap, this Mr Marx. Next time you see him, you can tell him from me that I always MUCH preferred side two of FALAA.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Surely everyone prefers side two :?

dear lord, i hope there are no "Side oners" (as I like to call them) out there, unhealthy little beasts. ;D
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
hallucienate
Overbomber

RobF wrote:Surely everyone prefers side two :?

dear lord, i hope there are no "Side oners" (as I like to call them) out there, unhealthy little beasts. ;D
:notworthy: :notworthy:
good to see you again

dedicated side twoer myself :D
aaron_quinton
Banned

hallucienate wrote:

:notworthy: :notworthy:
good to see you again

dedicated side twoer myself :D
well, dedicated new albumer here...
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I've definitely heard rumours of side one-ers. Apparently you can tell them by their smell...or was it that they floated? I can't quite remember...
Chris

James Blast
Banned

My initiation to FALAA land was getting it from my friend at the local library who worked in the music section, she used to let me see what had been bought but not catalogued and if there was anything I fancied I was free to take it, tape it and return it ASAP. FALAA fell into that category, so I nipped up the road, taped it onto a TDK C-90 and returned it all inside an hour. It has always sounded like one side of a tape to me.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:My initiation to FALAA land was getting it from my friend at the local library who worked in the music section, she used to let me see what had been bought but not catalogued and if there was anything I fancied I was free to take it, tape it and return it ASAP. FALAA fell into that category, so I nipped up the road, taped it onto a TDK C-90 and returned it all inside an hour. It has always sounded like one side of a tape to me.
but did you not find that the tape missed the last few seconds of SKOS as its just a tad too long? mine always did (oddly enough i got that from the local library's music dept too!) :o :lol:
Dan
Overbomber

Mine fit on one side of a tape with just seconds to spare.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think i must have had a longer starting-gap at the start of side 1 and the start of side 2.. :lol:

incidentally, when you play vinyl can you sometimes here a "ghost" version of the track itself? its very quiet and starts milliseconds before the real one?!? its noticable on my FALAA album because of the piano chord at the start of black planet...

i have a few other albums that do that too :o :?: :urff:
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:incidentally, when you play vinyl can you sometimes here a "ghost" version of the track itself? its very quiet and starts milliseconds before the real one?!? its noticable on my FALAA album because of the piano chord at the start of black planet...
I've noticed that effect on tape, because it's recorded magnetically and it bleeds through from one wind of tape to the next, but I've not noticed it on vinyl.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
James Blast wrote:My initiation to FALAA land was getting it from my friend at the local library who worked in the music section, she used to let me see what had been bought but not catalogued and if there was anything I fancied I was free to take it, tape it and return it ASAP. FALAA fell into that category, so I nipped up the road, taped it onto a TDK C-90 and returned it all inside an hour. It has always sounded like one side of a tape to me.
but did you not find that the tape missed the last few seconds of SKOS as its just a tad too long? mine always did (oddly enough i got that from the local library's music dept too!) :o :lol:
funny, I was gonna mention that too, but I don't wanna be known as a trainspotter :innocent: :innocent:

When I retaped the album on the same tape I managed to fit the ending in. :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

hallucienate wrote:When I retaped the album on the same tape I managed to fit the ending in. :roll:
Strangely enough I had the same thing. It must be because the tape stretches slightly over time.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Amphetamine Logic? One of their best.

But otherwise, yeah, fair point.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

On weird tape-effects...in my taping days, once or twice I had the unnerving phenomenon where for a few seconds what's on side two can be heard 'underneath' what's on side one. It''s very odd, although I believe that this kind of overdubbing later caught on with popular beat combos such as the Babes of Sugar. Or something.
Chris

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

on further investigation, my vinyl copy of the cure's "disintegration" album does that too - you can hear the intro to the first track begin "in the background" a split second before it really starts...

odd :urff:

i seem to recall this happening on my old deck too, so its not just my turntable being wierd :roll:
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
hallucienate wrote:When I retaped the album on the same tape I managed to fit the ending in. :roll:
Strangely enough I had the same thing. It must be because the tape stretches slightly over time.
Sure does... luckily I came across a Professional Walkman recently and its got tape pitch on it! Means I can speed up or slow down depending on what state the tapes in..

(My old tape deck when I first got into the SIsters was playing too fast... my horror on getting a CD player, when I realised what Speed Lucretia actually plays at!!

Soon got used to it though!!)
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:on further investigation, my vinyl copy of the cure's "disintegration" album does that too - you can hear the intro to the first track begin "in the background" a split second before it really starts...

odd :urff:

i seem to recall this happening on my old deck too, so its not just my turntable being wierd :roll:
It could be magnetic bleed-through on the master tape! :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

MrChris wrote:On weird tape-effects...in my taping days, once or twice I had the unnerving phenomenon where for a few seconds what's on side two can be heard 'underneath' what's on side one.
And as it would be playing backwards I'd always assumed it was the band trying to entice me into satanic worship and suchlike.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.