Wasteland and floodland

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
a_kino_runner_for_the_DDR
Road Kill

Hi! I m a new member and I would like to ask if anyone knows that: was Andrew influenced by Thomas Eliot 's 'Wasteland' during the making of the floodland (I mean the concept, in an interview Andrew said that the album is about the prostitution of Europe by America or smthing like that)? .Eliot s theme is the cultural wasteland that Europe is becoming.

Thx. Sorry for my bad english, I hope u understand the question
Petseri
Overbomber

Here is one thread which started to address that: http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7410
Last edited by Petseri on 24 Jan 2007, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
a_kino_runner_for_the_DDR
Road Kill

Thx mate but no answer found there...

I believe that andrew was influenced by Elliot (and by radiant activity of course) when he wrote the lyrics of wasteland but it can t be proved...

1959 is indeed a good interpretation site...

There s a close relationship in the way that Andrew writes and Eliot wrote (for example the line 'where strange men rent strange flowers' is excellent, it could be part of the masterpiece of the 20th century)and of course the way Cohen wrote. Go figure...