"Playing God"

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
bushman*pm
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

*hides under his safety blanket, scared, clutching a spl!ff and Smirnoff*
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I feel a bit uneasy when I read things like that, yes it's great if we get cures for diseases and all that but hmmmmmmm I don't like it :urff:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

I don't think we're civilised enough to be attempting stuff like this. The world is too unequal regarding human rights, tolerance and understanding of other cultures etc etc. I think that we should be concentrating on these things rather than scientific experiments. We might have alot of highly developed technology, but we're not all reading from the same set of guidelines to life and thats what we should be trying to achieve. Then we can concentrate on scientific things. And until we stop using things for financial gain aswell.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
christophe
Overbomber

I see your point, but how are we going to learn? I'm afraid we are going to fall (deep) before we can pull ourselves (mankind) up on our feet again.
besides there isn't the technology yet to do the harm most people are afraid of when things as this are discussed.
Maybe this is the road to take for people to start asking the right questions, cultural differences are kind of meaningless when super advanced technologies as these become more available.
Another Shade of You.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

christophe wrote:I see your point, but how are we going to learn? I'm afraid we are going to fall (deep) before we can pull ourselves (mankind) up on our feet again.
besides there isn't the technology yet to do the harm most people are afraid of when things as this are discussed.
Maybe this is the road to take for people to start asking the right questions, cultural differences are kind of meaningless when super advanced technologies as these become more available.
People can learn by understanding how the world works and by not using advances in science and psychology to make money.

As long as people want to make money at other peoples expense then we will fall deeper and deeper as you say christophe.

As for cultural differences being meaningless - I'm talking about getting our priorities right. Ignorance and racism is still alive and well, as is controlling people. Scientific things like this should be on the back burner, well and truely.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Almiche V wrote:I don't think we're civilised enough to be attempting stuff like this. The world is too unequal regarding human rights, tolerance and understanding of other cultures etc etc. I think that we should be concentrating on these things rather than scientific experiments. We might have alot of highly developed technology, but we're not all reading from the same set of guidelines to life and thats what we should be trying to achieve. Then we can concentrate on scientific things. And until we stop using things for financial gain aswell.
We should.. etc. However, it doesn't work that way.
Those with an interest in those results will see to it that they'll get them.
Standing there saying "we shouldn't!" isn't going to stop them. At the worst, it'll stop responsible researchers and hand initiative over to unscrupulous ones, who then might use it against us (or sell it to someone who does). Which would be the least desirable outcome, I think.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

SINsister wrote:I hear that...I fantasize constantly about getting rid of my meat carcass and uploading my consciousness into the 'net... :von:
But Sinnie it's such an attractive meat carcass you have :lol: :innocent:

I can honestly say I dont think I've ever used that line before :lol:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:
SINsister wrote:I hear that...I fantasize constantly about getting rid of my meat carcass and uploading my consciousness into the 'net... :von:

It's obviously been a while since you've had to chat up a Glasga burd... :innocent: :lol:
анархия
DerekR
Doobie Brother

smiscandlon wrote:
DerekR wrote:

It's obviously been a while since you've had to chat up a Glasga burd... :innocent: :lol:
Aye true, and she was fi Cambuslang :eek:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

DerekR wrote:
:eek: Thanks (I think...)! :lol: :oops:

*Hides*
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

nowayjose wrote:
Almiche V wrote:I don't think we're civilised enough to be attempting stuff like this. The world is too unequal regarding human rights, tolerance and understanding of other cultures etc etc. I think that we should be concentrating on these things rather than scientific experiments. We might have alot of highly developed technology, but we're not all reading from the same set of guidelines to life and thats what we should be trying to achieve. Then we can concentrate on scientific things. And until we stop using things for financial gain aswell.
We should.. etc. However, it doesn't work that way.
Those with an interest in those results will see to it that they'll get them.
Standing there saying "we shouldn't!" isn't going to stop them. At the worst, it'll stop responsible researchers and hand initiative over to unscrupulous ones, who then might use it against us (or sell it to someone who does). Which would be the least desirable outcome, I think.
Am fully aware it doesn't work that way. Doesn't mean we have to put up with it. Unless we change then things will get alot worse before they get better. And one of the definitions of evil is a good man who does nothing.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't understand what people are frightened of. What's so ethically controversial about this? It's not like it's anything particularly new to create transgenic bacteria. (Hell, I've done it myself!)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote:It's not like it's anything particularly new to create transgenic bacteria. (Hell, I've done it myself!)
Yeah, but we never doubted you were a Supreme Being, Mark. It's a different set of rules for the rest of us :P :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
robertzombie
Overbomber

Teach us o' wise one! :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell