Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

So, my last three biographies and autobiography of musicians, no one of which were nice at all, well maybe Pops had more positive attitude (according to this book) yet still mistresses and all was part of his life even when he was married, but Lou seems to be the most hideous person in history of modern music, completely horrible as a person; I have to read another biography of him.

And now, with 18-20 years delay, finally I started this:
After Some (very) unhelpful remarks from the author I hope it's the last version of this book.
iesus
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:
And now, with 18-20 years delay, finally I started this:
After Some (very) unhelpful remarks from the author I hope it's the last version of this book.
One of my most beloved readings i had ever! :D
Hope you will enjoy this as i did :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I couldn't last long reading just one book, so this is my bedtime story:
Pista
Cureboi

Just reading instructions on assembling a bed frame. *gulp* :eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Bartek wrote:By I. Kea?
Almost. This one's by J. Ysk
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Similarly short and straightforward?
Pista
Cureboi

Just read a short script written by my brother about revenge poisoning Paul Hollywood
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Pista wrote:Just reading instructions on assembling a bed frame. *gulp* :eek:
step 1: lay mattress on floor.
done. :twisted: :bat:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a prezzie from my dear friend Aimee. great read. lots of pics for the blind. :P
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

On my reading list: Deborah Harry memoir
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Swinnow
Overbomber

The Poly Styrene book has solved a prezzy for an old mate from Bradford who walked the earth with me and Ju in the 80s Mish and NMA days. Good times Gaz la
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Was:
Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain

Is:
The Inner Citadel: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
by Pierre Hadot

and
Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach, by
James Kurose and Ross Keith
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Was:
The Unadulterated Cat by Tery Pratchett.
There's a lot so damn funny and acurate remarks about cats. Very pleasnt night story.

Now: Idoru by W. Gibson.

And: CCNA Routing and Switching Complete Study Guide by T. Lammle (which i got fr fraction of price as it was bought via Humble Bundle).

And:
as I am (still) trying to incorporate stoic philisophy:
The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living by R. Holiday and S. Hanselman
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:Was:
The Unadulterated Cat by Tery Pratchett.
There's a lot so damn funny and acurate remarks about cats. Very pleasnt night story.
I had a copy of this, signed by The Man Himself with a dedication that read, "You know that cat people wash in their own spit, right?"

My copy vanished around the same time a girlfriend decided that she no longer wanted anything to do with me. But you'd be a fool and a communist to suggest that the two things were related.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

EvilBastard wrote:...signed by The Man Himself with a dedication that read, "You know that cat people wash in their own spit, right?"...
Comedy dedications were a bit of a speciality of sir Pterry.

One of my copies of Good Omens is signed by both authors:

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Because I'm avid fan of Jezza's Epoche Top Gear, my wife on behalf of my Schwiegermutter bought for me: If You’d Just Let Me Finish (World According to Clarkson).
Relaying on what I read here and there (also on the Guardian Wink ), knowing some of his train of thought, I believed that it's gonna be my views vs his (read as: It's gonna be struggle to read whole book); I believed that he was pro-Brexit, that he was pen pal of Nigel or at least BoJo - he clearly wrote twice: he wants to Remain, he doesn't like both mention strange men.
I enjoyed reading most of his columns, I like his style, even when I disagree with some of his believe. It was a nice book for x-mass break.
Big Si
School Bully

At 904 pages, it's going to take some time....

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
sultan2075
Overbomber

I'm only two chapters in, but he's not pulling any punches here. Probably not making any friends either.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:Image

I'm only two chapters in, but he's not pulling any punches here. Probably not making any friends either.
I’m about halfway through now. This is positively brutal, but I can’t put it down.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:

I’m about halfway through now. This is positively brutal, but I can’t put it down.
And I finished it yesterday. Highly recommended, but you've got to have a pretty strong stomach for some of it.
--
Big Si
School Bully

sultan2075 wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:

And I finished it yesterday. Highly recommended, but you've got to have a pretty strong stomach for some of it.
Just about to start on mine :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
sultan2075
Overbomber

I hope you enjoy it! If I hadn’t been grading papers at the same time I probably would have finished it in under 24 hours. It’s very good, and while the “villain� of the narrative is no surprise, the “hero� of the story is a surprise.
--
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Coltrane on Coltrane (Musicians in Their Own Words) by C. DeVito.
Reading this has leaded to point where I feel that it's about time to know sometinh about theory of music. Baisicaly, listning jazz did this, but this book is another step.

Next in line are:
Factfulness by H. Roslin and A. Rosling Rönnlund.
Thinking, Fast and Slow, Farrar, Straus and Giroux by. D. Kahneman.
and Polish book on statistics and how to read it and see manipulations.

And I haven't finished Gibson's short stories; I stopped in the middle. Not because it's bad or something is wrong, I just lost interest in reading novels, even though there are some fine books that I should/ought to know.