The Great Heartland Biscuit Thread™

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I don't buy biscuits now the bin lids have gone off to Uni but if I did have to choose, it would be short bread
and I would not dunk.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

SmileySister wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 00:09 I don't buy biscuits now the bin lids have gone off to Uni but if I did have to choose, it would be short bread
and I would not dunk.
I never doubted you Laura. a Queen amongst women. :kiss: :von: :notworthy:
:bat:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

Afflikönig
Amphetamine Filth

SmileySister wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 00:09 I don't buy biscuits now the bin lids have gone off to Uni but if I did have to choose, it would be short bread
and I would not dunk.
Good choice 😋😋😋
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

But shortbread (and fruit and shortbread are 2 separate entities and should remain so) dunked is a delight to the senses
SmileySister

Chocolate chips in shortbread are a good thing.

I think you like shortbread because there are Scottie dogs on the tins EmmaPeelWannaBe :)
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Even better Smiley, sometimes the tins are shaped like scottie dogs and filled with scottie dog shaped shortbread

But yes on chocolate chips and also stem ginger
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I fear a schism brewing. There are biscuits (cf The Noble Bourbon), there are cakes, and there are breads. I am prepared to stretch a point and allow Jaffa Cakes to be dunked since they resemble biscuits, but I'm afraid that otherwise cakes and breads are right out when it comes to dunking. Don't be dunking shortbread, Soreen malt loaves, or Tate & Lyle ginger loaves in your tea-time beverage. No good can come of this.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

On the tea front, I can confirm that the Yorkshire biscuit and toast/jam teas are Very Nice.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
abridged
Slight Overbomber

emilystrange wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 21:29 On the tea front, I can confirm that the Yorkshire biscuit and toast/jam teas are Very Nice.
What is a Yorkshire biccie? And it might be a bit heretical, but what is so good about Yorkshire Tea?!!!
The Chancer Corporation
abridged
Slight Overbomber

and I would not dunk.
I should think not! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

abridged wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 12:00 And it might be a bit heretical, but what is so good about Yorkshire Tea?!!!
WHAT??? Yorkshire Tea is the only tea I'll drink! :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Is Yorkshire Tea like: "you were lucky, our dad used to put razor blades in our tea"?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Biscuit and Toast and Jam are the tea flavours...
abridged
Slight Overbomber

emilystrange wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 22:19 Biscuit and Toast and Jam are the tea flavours...
:eek: Good grief. I blame the hipsters! Do hipsters exist in Yorkshire? :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid

abridged wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:45
emilystrange wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 22:19 Biscuit and Toast and Jam are the tea flavours...
:eek: Good grief. I blame the hipsters! Do hipsters exist in Yorkshire? :wink:
i dunno Greg but i do know they dont/cant/never have grown tea there... 'appen. :roll: :twisted:

eastmidswhizzkid

fig rolls are like the RLYL of biscuits and so underrated

emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i love them!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have recently rediscovered the mighty Penguin. OK they seem a little smaller than when we were kids (although that might be the Wagon Wheel effect - they seem smaller because we were used to holding them in tiny children's hands) and the variety of coloured wrappers has gone (they're all red; no blue or yellow) but by the Biscuit Gods are they good :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 10:55 I have recently rediscovered the mighty Penguin. OK they seem a little smaller than when we were kids (although that might be the Wagon Wheel effect - they seem smaller because we were used to holding them in tiny children's hands) and the variety of coloured wrappers has gone (they're all red; no blue or yellow) but by the Biscuit Gods are they good :lol:
Do they still have a joke on the wrapper?
Or am I thinking of something else entirely?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 11:56
markfiend wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 10:55 I have recently rediscovered the mighty Penguin. OK they seem a little smaller than when we were kids (although that might be the Wagon Wheel effect - they seem smaller because we were used to holding them in tiny children's hands) and the variety of coloured wrappers has gone (they're all red; no blue or yellow) but by the Biscuit Gods are they good :lol:
They still have the joke! :-) They are definitely smaller though. As are most wafers (as they were called in Derry). Does anyone remember YoYos though? Quality biccies or maybe they were bars. But can you have a round bar? ;-)
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid

abridged wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 12:24
They still have the joke! :-) They are definitely smaller though. As are most wafers (as they were called in Derry). Does anyone remember YoYos though? Quality biccies or maybe they were bars. But can you have a round bar? ;-)
i remember Yo-yos. like Viscounts but not mint.

abridged
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 13:09

Ah they were mint but a bit more chocolatey! :-)
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid

abridged wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 13:27
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 13:09

Ah they were mint but a bit more chocolatey! :-)
Yo-yo's were mint too? i remembered them as being orangey. maybe they came in different flavours. or more likely the 1970's are only accessible through a fog of -many fog constituents actually :lol:

OLDFART

I remember club biscuits from when I was a kid , hated the orange one's .