Gig safety

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

So when will you feel comfortable going to gigs again? Must admit I think going to anything this side of Christmas is a mistake and that (sadly) includes the pub where social distancing is difficult or impossible. How do you social distance in a gig? :eek:
The Chancer Corporation
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Immediately. There's terrible risk every time you step foot out the front door, can't let it stop you stepping your feet out the front door :)

As for maintaining social distancing at gigs, ridiculous notion, sounds like the equivalent of watching football played in an empty stadium. Pointless, essentially.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:Immediately. There's terrible risk every time you step foot out the front door, can't let it stop you stepping your feet out the front door :)

As for maintaining social distancing at gigs, ridiculous notion, sounds like the equivalent of watching football played in an empty stadium. Pointless, essentially.
Perhaps they'll bring back pyramids, stood on someone's shoulders - i reckon that just about qualifies enough for social distancing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Charlie wrote:Perhaps they'll bring back pyramids, stood on someone's shoulders - i reckon that just about qualifies enough for social distancing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Having seen the security swoop into action in Manchester last month the second Erudite clambered up on someones shoulders, this would be quite some U-turn on their behalf.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: .......sounds like the equivalent of watching football played in an empty stadium. Pointless, essentially.......
I'd suggest, selfishly, that there is a point if the correct, and Mighty, Red team wins the league, at long last.

:notworthy:

Btw, RIP Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry and Michael Robinson.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Swinnow wrote:
Planet Dave wrote: .......sounds like the equivalent of watching football played in an empty stadium. Pointless, essentially.......
I'd suggest, selfishly, that there is a point if the correct, and Mighty, Red team wins the league, at long last.

Btw, RIP Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry and Michael Robinson.
Michael Robinson as in the guy who played for you and City? Blimey. RIP gentlemen.

Stadiums - yep I can see your point of view, you'll have seen enough after one match of that though, it's horrible, watching that United europa match put me off football, and we won 5-0 or summat :eek: ;D if The Sisters (and every other band) started playing gigs in empty rooms that we all watch on monitors at home, that'd be just as horrible.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Yeah that Michael Robinson bro, that one is a bit too close to the bone as the age group is far too close. And I saw a fair few Tranmere games on Friday nights back in the 70's so I experienced football with virtually no crowds, not something I recommend either.

Turning to the serious, I can't really see any indoor gigs in the UK or any sporting events with spectators before Christmas at the earliest, I'd guess most of Europe will be the same.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
iesus
Overbomber

When we have 0 daily covid deaths for 15 days in row. From the 16th i start go to gigs ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote:So when will you feel comfortable going to gigs again? Must admit I think going to anything this side of Christmas is a mistake and that (sadly) includes the pub where social distancing is difficult or impossible. How do you social distance in a gig? :eek:

In an ideal world i.e. one in which the UK wasn't being governed by a pack of pathological liars who will say/do anything to maintain their popularity with the masses I'd say at the point at which they tell us it's safe to reopen bars and restaurants. In a more nuanced reality, I'll combine any relaxation of the lockdown with my own judgement based on the current daily rate of new infections and whether or not they have successfully implemented mass testing and contact tracing. Part of it will also be based on geography - rural Scotland is very different from London, or even Glasgow or Edinburgh in terms of population density and people travelling to and fro.
While a number of gigs I had booked have been moved to Spring next year, I have a couple rescheduled from May to September. At the time this decision was made in March it looked quite reasonable. Not so much, now. :?
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

i really don't want to go to any gigs this year. I can wait. I will turn bat s**t crazy but I can wait
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

There's a logic to having pro sports continue behind closed doors - watching it on TV isn't as good, particularly with no crowd, but it's better than no sport at all. It's pointless at lower levels, where clubs rely on the money from paying punters.

Ironically, the levels where you could manage social distancing fairly easily around a football field - the kind of places I tend to blog about - also suffer. When you need people to come into the bar and have a pint to ensure you can pay the match officials, you're a bit screwed if you can't open your bar because 75 people can't safely congregate there at half time.

As for gigs, I don't see any merit in staging a socially distanced concert. I can listen to recordings of the music and the outcome is not uncertain in the same way as a sporting event (same applies to theatre, stand-up etc). The whole point of the gig is the communal, social aspect.

When will I next go to one? Well, my 3yo is booked to see Zog at the local theatre in September (rescheduled from April). If that goes ahead, I imagine that will be my next public engagement.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

the way i see it is this: dont snog strangers , dont nick drinks, dont share fags and spliffs and most importantly dont spit in each others mouths. luckily my spring sisters extravaganza wasnt ruined by the carnivorous walrus (goo-goo-ga-choob) and thats something. however i am missing lots of gigs all over ...not to mention (but i'm going to anyway lol) my 50th birthday is coming up soon; where hopefully many of my HL brothers and sisters will do me the hoonour of attending the first gig by my band The Glad Peas. thats gonna be on a big New Age Travellers site with techno soundsystems and live bands for 3 days so if its just me in my misfits bandana i will be truly FUCKED OFF.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:the way i see it is this: dont snog strangers , dont nick drinks, dont share fags and spliffs and most importantly dont spit in each others mouths. luckily my spring sisters extravaganza wasnt ruined by the carnivorous walrus (goo-goo-ga-choob) and thats something. however i am missing lots of gigs all over ...not to mention (but i'm going to anyway lol) my 50th birthday is coming up soon; where hopefully many of my HL brothers and sisters will do me the hoonour of attending the first gig by my band The Glad Peas. thats gonna be on a big New Age Travellers site with techno soundsystems and live bands for 3 days so if its just me in my misfits bandana i will be truly FUCKED OFF.
Is that September? If everything is still in the mire simply rename it from festival / Lee's 50th to a herd immunity research unit, and I'll see you there Sir :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:the way i see it is this: dont snog strangers , dont nick drinks, dont share fags and spliffs and most importantly dont spit in each others mouths. luckily my spring sisters extravaganza wasnt ruined by the carnivorous walrus (goo-goo-ga-choob) and thats something. however i am missing lots of gigs all over ...not to mention (but i'm going to anyway lol) my 50th birthday is coming up soon; where hopefully many of my HL brothers and sisters will do me the hoonour of attending the first gig by my band The Glad Peas. thats gonna be on a big New Age Travellers site with techno soundsystems and live bands for 3 days so if its just me in my misfits bandana i will be truly FUCKED OFF.
Is that September? If everything is still in the mire simply rename it from festival / Lee's 50th to a herd immunity research unit, and I'll see you there Sir :lol:
sure is bro. 22nd is actual day so 18/19/20 weekend.

zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Doesn't look viable though does it, really?

Can't see any Gigs happening this year. Can't see anyone going to the Cinema, Theatre, Pub, Club, Bar, Festival or f**king Gig or Party or whatever for a while.

Could be worse though.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
eastmidswhizzkid

new age travellers live in social groups of 50+ peoople anyway. those 50+ getting f**ked o9ff their heads and listening to music isn't even breaking lockdown. so yeah, looks highly likely. :twisted:
and travellers sites are no-go areas for the pigs too so f**k it. :von:

Being645
Above the Chemist

Somehow "the world" looks fed-up with lockdowns, so maybe things will change sooner to the better than one might expect right now ... :wink: ...

Given some careful meaures, I wouldn't hesitate to attend any gigs as soon as it is allowed again.
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

well

got thickets for sisters in maastricht and a'pen in septembe, front22 10 oct in leuven and sinnersday on 31st of october in st truiden (all Belgium)

and planning to hit Italy in August or early September
MUSICA È
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

well

got thickets for sisters in maastricht and a'pen in septembe, front22 10 oct in leuven and sinnersday on 31st of october in st truiden (all Belgium)

and planning to hit Italy in August or early September
:bat: :bat: :bat: :bat:
MUSICA È
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Had a bit chat with the guy who runs one of our local small venues. He's pretty pessimistic about being able to operate with any kind of social distancing. Probably the most downbeat of the people I've spoken to about their businesses in the current circumstances. But there's a bonus Banshees reference for them as like that sort of thing, and a link to a ukulele cover of 'Life of Mars'

https://vocal.media/beat/durham-s-beautiful-launderette
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
eastmidswhizzkid

prolly the mish or NMA @rock city. :von:

andymackem
Slight Overbomber

And, continuing the theme, I did an interview with a guy who runs a DIY label in Newcastle. He's optimistic about how things are going for the label but concerned that likely restrictions on how venues can operate might effectively mean the end for his band. If you're not interested in that, it's worth checking out the link to the Salisman & His Blessed Eunuchs track that he's putting out at the end of July - thoroughly enjoyed a listen to that the other day.

https://bit.ly/3eUHUuE
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

As I see it here in Belgium, festivals, small gigs, FORGET it this year.

2021 is the best most can and will do :|

Our 'big' goth-new wave fest Simmer's Day on Nov 1st is cancelled, smaller gig I wanted to do in St.Niklaas with the American black rockers MIDNIGHT -- cancelled.

Especially when it involves American bands, either venues-bookers don't want them, or the musicians-bands don't want to come over out of self-protection.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

One thing I've heard is that the live music industry as a whole in the UK is asking the government for £50 million.

For comparison Wetherspoons has received £48.3 million
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell