Media player songs out of tune?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DOZMEISTER
Road Kill

Started playing bass again during lockdown and been putting few cover videos on YouTube ( Dozmeister if you interested). Thing is when I play along to some songs off windows media files I seem slightly out of tune (which I am not) yet if I play the same song on YouTube it's fine! Any ideas why?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Maybe you have an effect or EQ going on in your WM player. I'm not really familiar with WMP, or do you use another program to play your files?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
FMAMMY
Road Kill

Hi, it sounds like a problem with the drivers for the audio interface/soundcard. I have a Tascam us-1641 interface and if I work in my DAW and then closes the DAW and listens to wav-files the mediaplayer plays the file just a little slower and the song gets out of tune. I solve this by restarting the interface. In my case I think it's a driver/win10-issue.

Try to find the latest interfacedrivers for your OS. otherwise restart/unplug-plug interface might "fix" the problem
DOZMEISTER
Road Kill

FMAMMY Yes it seems that some of the files I have on media player are slightly faster than they should be, not noticeable unless I play along to them! I don't know where I got the files from the original CD rips or vinyl using a cd recorder pre computer days. No problem now as I will just source songs at the correct speed.