Hot Chocolate

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ruffers
Overbomber

So we all know them from Emma, but had a listen to a Spotify playlist of their other stuff the other day and they're really interesting. Then I found this Guardian article which dug deeper - https://www.theguardian.com/music/music ... ange-group there's a lot of dark stuff in there.

Just posted as an fyi.

And also because when i lived in Penge the bloke who did Errol Brown on Stars in Thier Eyes was karaoking in a pub near the station and I made him sing Emma, which confused the locals.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Swinnow
Overbomber

Can we expect Errol Brown themed attire next time around?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Swinnow wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 23:25 Can we expect Errol Brown themed attire next time around?
a nice kipper-collared polyester dick* with this suit would do it even.

* dick as in "dickie dirt = shirt" - cockney rhyming slang. i know, stupid isnt it? :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Talking of rhyming slang I only very recently discovered that "raspberry" was from "raspberry tart = fart".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nomad
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 10:12 Talking of rhyming slang I only very recently discovered that "raspberry" was from "raspberry tart = fart".
Encroable! My youngest only today asked me why blowing a raspberry was described as such and now I have the answer! Thank you!
Swinnow
Overbomber

As a devout northerner you can stick all that cockernee cultural imperialism up where the sun don't go. It's bad enough hearing fellow northerners saying 'banter' every five minutes. I blame Eastenders, bring back Brookside NOW.

/rant mode
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There's a lot of rhyming slang entered more general English: "Ruby" - "Ruby Murray, curry", "Butchers" - "butcher's hook, look", "Barnet" - "Barnet fair - hair" and perhaps most notoriously "Berk" - "Berkeley hunt"

I also hate the word "banter".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 10:26 I also hate the word "banter".
I don't actually hate the word, it's more a case of using it appropriately. To me it's fine hearing someone from the south-east of England using it in their context but it's well weird hearing a Scot or a Geordie saying it. I love the differences as you move around. I think it's great that a 'vanilla' in Leeds is a 'custard slice' in Liverpool. Having said that though I still worry about Yorkshire people not realising they have had all the currents stolen out of their teacakes.
eastmidswhizzkid

along with pearly kings and queens, west ham united and ghost-written gentlemen gangster's "auto"-biographies i f**king despise all things cockney. but most of all i hate their ridiculous rhyming s**t. it's not even any good. it's like Edward Leer in a sheepskin drinking babycham mixed with Watney's Red Barrel and faking a stroke. berkley hunts to a man. :twisted:

however i do like Leith-style Irvin Welshb rhyming slang . and the scouse one "Gary Abblet = tablet, as in Ecstasy " is very good.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Swinnow wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 10:56 I still worry about Yorkshire people not realising they have had all the currents stolen out of their teacakes.
:lol: that one's not just Yorkshire though, my mum has always called the plain, currantless kind of bread roll a teacake and she's from Greater Manchester.
Wikipedia wrote:In East Lancashire, the former West Riding of Yorkshire, Cumbria and elsewhere in the North like the town of Barnsley, a teacake is a round bread roll which is cut in half to make sandwiches. They do not usually contain any sort of dried fruit.
(Source)
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

And of course in Scotland this is a teacake.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 12:17 And of course in Scotland this is a teacake.
mmmm tunnock's.... :notworthy: but not deep-fried.

Swinnow
Overbomber

Yorkshire and Lancashire agreeing on something! Well I'll be damned :lol:

btw - The Wirral was in Cheshire when I was born, consequently I have no dog in that fight and no understanding of cricket either.
ruffers
Overbomber

I don't mind a bit of NOrthern rhyming eg, that lot's bobbins.
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

As we used to say dan at upton park

YOR GOIN OME IN A FACKIN AMBALANCE
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
ruffers
Overbomber

And at the rave - You're going home in a floating ambience.................