Band t shirt etiquette?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Apparently you can't wear a band t shirt unless you've heard 10 of their songs

If this is true, what is the threshold for hoodies, tote bags, bucket hats, mugs, tea towels...etc.?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

At school we always judge it by albums, you could wear a band shirt if you owned at least one album. But then I am old as dirt and was silly as a child and you couldn't get motorhead shirts in C and A...
Nonesuch
Road Kill

With my old group of friends, we had an unwritten rule that you couldn't wear a tour t-shirt if you hadn't actually seen the band on that tour.

I've almost always stuck to that rule. Until I got my Black October shirt.
Pista
Cureboi

Nonesuch wrote: ↑19 Aug 2021, 14:22 With my old group of friends, we had an unwritten rule that you couldn't wear a tour t-shirt if you hadn't actually seen the band on that tour.

I've almost always stuck to that rule. Until I got my Black October shirt.
I have swapped European leg shirts (where I've been to shows) with US leg shirts (where I haven't been to shows) from the same tour/ band before.
Is that cheating?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I always thought you could wear anything you liked as long as it helped get you a shag! Back in the day of course.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Average of 17 t-shirts. I have two wardrobes full πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Goths have feelings too
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i've definitely got more than 17 for just one band!
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Pista
Cureboi

I posted this story on Fark yesterday & it sort of exploded. Got ever so scratchy at times too.
I did like the Sigur Ros comment though
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paint it black

Now that's somewhere I never want to go again 😱

It's a trolls training camp
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

paint it black wrote: ↑20 Aug 2021, 14:48 Now that's somewhere I never want to go again 😱

It's a trolls training camp
:lol:
Some threads get a bit like that. But most of them are fairly safe.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote: ↑19 Aug 2021, 09:01 Apparently you can't wear a band t shirt unless you've heard 10 of their songs
Isn't Von on record as saying he made Sisters t shirts before they even recorded a song?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

Sounds like the sort of thing he'd do
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

I think i've read it in interviews that there were tees sold before they played a single concert.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Dan
Overbomber

Pista wrote: ↑20 Aug 2021, 12:55 I posted this story on Fark yesterday & it sort of exploded. Got ever so scratchy at times too.
I did like the Sigur Ros comment though
Now that's a site I've not thought about for over a decade. I had no idea it was even still going! :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

the only rule i have is that the band on the shirt mustnt be politically wrong. or dreadful musically (although i would wear a cradle of plagiarism shirt if it was a jesus is a c**t one) ..i have got loads of cool(ish) thrash/death/whatever-the-c**t-label metal shirts which ive been given and cant wear cuz the bands are so lame..i WILL wear my carcass amd napalm death shirts but not my celtic frost shirt for example GODFLESH yes....cannibal corpse no.. i wont wear the levellers long-sleeved now either . or my PIL shirt. to be honest its best to just have 30+ sisters shirts and an endles supply of motorhead-england tees with a few gaga and a couple of NMA.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

iesus wrote: ↑20 Aug 2021, 18:40 I think i've read it in interviews that there were tees sold before they played a single concert.
VON wrote: We made t-shirts before we made records, before we even did a gig. I thought t-shirts were the key to this, and I have not been proven wrong (laughs).
ive got 14 or 15 TSOM shirts & 3 hoodies in the current rotation. dog knows how many dead/well-forked ones...and a few that are now cushion covers.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

I've always found it unique that a typical UK Sisters audience has a very high percentage of people wearing Sisters shirts and few other band's attire seen. Only NMA seem to approach this level of evangelism amongst the fanbase. At most other gigs you see a spectrum of shirts on display.

I do hold with the rule that you don't wear shirts for tours you did not see.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote: ↑20 Aug 2021, 07:49 Average of 17 t-shirts. I have two wardrobes full πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Are they all orange?
Swinnow
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: ↑20 Aug 2021, 07:49 Average of 17 t-shirts. I have two wardrobes full πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
My t-shirts live in a chest of drawers, though my wardrobe does contain a lovely orange Liverpool away shirt from a couple of seasons back that my son keeps trying to borrow/steal.
paint it black

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 19:25
Are they all orange?
Nah! Most are Ecru
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

Swinnow wrote: ↑25 Aug 2021, 15:25
My t-shirts live in a chest of drawers, though my wardrobe does contain a lovely orange Liverpool away shirt from a couple of seasons back that my son keeps trying to borrow/steal.
He has a spot of cleaning to do?.Scouse shirts make excellent dusters and also good for drying paint brushes
Goths have feelings too
Swinnow
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: ↑25 Aug 2021, 18:07 He has a spot of cleaning to do?.Scouse shirts make excellent dusters and also good for drying paint brushes
Heavens, that was nearly as amusing as the kit combination worn by United at Southampton last weekend, but nowhere near as original. :lol:

Mind you, United do have a knack for dodgy kits there.

My fave band t-shirt remains the tie dye Mish effort from the late Children era, when I still had hair. Scarily not black and all the better for it.
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote: ↑24 Aug 2021, 19:25
Are they all orange?
:lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wear what the f*ck you like. Gatekeeping elitists can do one. Don't be one of those arseholes who chases young women down the street shouting "NAME THREE OF THEIR SONGS THEN!"
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
β€”Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote: ↑02 Sep 2021, 11:26 Wear what the f*ck you like. Gatekeeping elitists can do one. Don't be one of those arseholes who chases young women down the street shouting "NAME THREE OF THEIR SONGS THEN!"
Go on lad, get 'em telt! :lol: :notworthy:

Plus, if you let the arseholes chase women down the street shouting 'name three of their songs then!' then at least everyone on that street knows exactly who the arseholes are, win-win :wink:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.