Doctor Who

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

So the new monsters are called Dregs.

They are really phoning this in now
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Pista wrote:So the new monsters are called Dregs.

like a Dr. Egg! (i said egg!)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Pista wrote:So the new monsters are called Dregs.

like a Dr. Egg! (i said egg!)
Dr Egg would have been a better name for a villain really :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Ironically, this final season of Jodie's Doctor has probably been the best.
None of the social justice warrior stuff getting in the way & good to see the weeping angels back.
I liked her incarnation but, oh boy, the storylines have been utter shiate.
Let's hope Davies coming back can make this show a bit more ...well.. Doctor Who really
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ruffers
Overbomber

True, the story being spread over a few episodes (like it used to be!) works much better with the extra space although there's still a few to many things bing chucked in for my liking. Last week's may as well have been an audiobook for all the spoken exopsition.

Still not totally convinced by JW as the Doctor either but all in all really enjoying this series.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Dan
Overbomber

Last weeks episode was rubbish. This weeks was better. The whole thing though is coming off as bad fanfiction. Chibnall is not a good writer.
eastmidswhizzkid

i really like Jodie as the doctor but the writing is appalling. at least Bradley f**king Walsh has gone and taken his any-charcter-as-long-as-its-Bradley-Walsh with him

DaveGeister
Road Kill

I could never get into the reboot, I didn't like the pacing the Buffy-inspired 'snappy dialogue' or the comic relief tone, none of it sat well for me. Personally, this show died when Peter Davison regenerated into Colin Baker in 1985 and never recovered, and of course me being me: I preferred Blakes Seven anyway.
...A Kino Runner for the DDR
GC
Slight Overbomber

DaveGeister wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 09:39 I could never get into the reboot, I didn't like the pacing the Buffy-inspired 'snappy dialogue' or the comic relief tone, none of it sat well for me. Personally, this show died when Peter Davison regenerated into Colin Baker in 1985 and never recovered, and of course me being me: I preferred Blakes Seven anyway.
Tom Baker was perfect. lost myself completely in that Doctor. When the bloke from my second favourite series, All Creatures Great and Small, took over it kind of lost its "realism"....
Bucket
Road Kill

Davis will be an improvement (lowest of bars) but for me it peaked with the writing of Moffat. Every River Song episode is gold.
It's been a criminal waste of Jodie's brilliant character.
Hi all, btw.
All my words are secondhand and useless in the face of this.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @Bucket & welcome to Heartland :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bucket
Road Kill

Hi Pista, thanks.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Welcome Bucket, good thread to join on (nice tattoo as well)!

Moffatt slowly collapsed for me like a tired old chair, I drifted away towards the end of Matt Smith's run and was all over the spot with Capaldi. I've enjoyed most of Jodie's run, but the opposite seems to have occurred where Chibnall ended up like someone trying to change the bedding and thrashing themselves into a confusing twist.

Davies could be a steady hand at the tiller, bring it back to an ideal medium with the next Doctor. But he could go grasping for whatever he thinks the Holy Grail of Doctor Who is as well - not too much lore, not too much comedy, not too much "battling aliens in London" or whatever the ideal formula is, and instead missing it all. Oh well.
Bucket
Road Kill

Hi TimSinister, imho the mistake they made with Moffet was giving him the reins. Phenomenal writer, (Ponds, Weeping Angels, River Song) but his self indulgent "rock 'n' roll Doctor" was terrible.
Capaldi was fantastic (Facehugger/ Santa special) but wasted with that rubbish. Same with Jodie. She's really brought something to the role. In spite of the stories.
Ta about the tat, btw.
eastmidswhizzkid

heres a Hola to you Bucket (dear Liza)! so Fix it... :von:

Bucket
Road Kill

Huh. Chibnall has come good, now it's too late. I enjoyed that. Mrs was a bit "GROUNDHOG DAY!" But if anyone's entitled to play with that premise it's a Timelord.
Pista
Cureboi

Bucket wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 09:05 Huh. Chibnall has come good, now it's too late. I enjoyed that. Mrs was a bit "GROUNDHOG DAY!" But if anyone's entitled to play with that premise it's a Timelord.
I thought it was great & I adore Aisling Bea.
Some of the dialogue was great too.
"Where are we?"
"Manchester."
"Uh. Of all the places."

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Controversial but Paddington in a bin was more scary than the Daleks were last night.
Pista
Cureboi

Pat wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 14:56 Controversial but Paddington in a bin was more scary than the Daleks were last night.
In all honesty, have the Daleks ever been scary to anyone outside of Doctor Who shows?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bucket
Road Kill

I liked the Daleks' Gatling gun laser thingy upgrade.
Pista
Cureboi

Bucket wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 18:56 I liked the Daleks' Gatling gun laser thingy upgrade.
It's a bit better than the old egg whisk thing they used to wield
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

Pista wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 17:48
Pat wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 14:56 Controversial but Paddington in a bin was more scary than the Daleks were last night.
In all honesty, have the Daleks ever been scary to anyone outside of Doctor Who shows?
i read a lot of Doctor Who paperbacks as a kid and nearly all the Dalek ones were written by Terry Nation, their creator, so i always got the concept of their potential. i remember explaining this in detail to my brother Davey (he's 10 years my junior) when the series rebooted in 2005 hoping that CGI would back me up; but apart from the "LEVITATE" way of showing they weren't ground-bound pepperpots on wheels, once again the writers let me/them down.
to answer Steve's question, the Nazis would have won the second world war if it wasnt for stupid mistakes by Hitler. likewise if a TARDIS' built-in emergency repair-mode can defeat Davros' Supreme Creations then they may as well be buggered by a flight of stairs.

Bucket
Road Kill

If we're talking frightening concepts, I think the scariest Doctor Who monster was Tom Bakers first story (I think). It was a bit of rustling plastic being dragged across the floor. But it was supposed to be a space slug that was eating people alive while they were frozen in suspended animation.
The thought of being conscious but paralysed while being slowly eaten terrified me so much I was banned from watching the show.
Bucket
Road Kill

Bit embarrassing as I was 30 at the time. (Not really.)
GC
Slight Overbomber