Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I got bored of the minimalist window managers and moved back to the shiny, fully featured KDE

Still can't work out how to get .xinitrc to run under it though :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

...sort of geeking...
Anyone get stuck reading Apple's Ts & Cs? Fear not.
Someone's made them into a graphic novel
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

CG: trying out different knots for tying shoelaces.

The standard shoelace knot is a doubly-slipped reef knot (or Shoelace knot) but I've been trying what is effectively an overhand loop but treating the two working ends as one line.

It's much quicker to tie than the standard, seems less prone to working loose, and is as easy to untie (just pull on the working ends simultaneously).
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

So how to you make sure that the knot is tight? I can't see how you would easily tighten an overhand loop.

My go-to is a shoelace knot and then tie the loops in a single overhand. Doesn't work loose, adds a bit of time to the undo and I wouldn't do it on thin (dress) laces, but on hiking/work boots it's great.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Swinnow
Overbomber

Ain't seen a laced-up dress for a couple of years now, but the thought made me smile lol
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh looking at it again, it's not an overhand loop at all. I'm getting bogged down in various wikipedia knot pages now :lol:

Edit: It's like this but with one of the loops actually being the two loose ends of the laces.

Edit again no it's not. Leave it with me.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Slip knot on the bight?
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:Oh looking at it again, it's not an overhand loop at all. I'm getting bogged down in various wikipedia knot pages now :lol:

Edit: It's like this but with one of the loops actually being the two loose ends of the laces.

Edit again no it's not. Leave it with me.
*send new keyboard to.....*
:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Slip knot on the bight?
Slip knot? :eek:
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:Ain't seen a laced-up dress for a couple of years now, but the thought made me smile lol
Yeah, you definitely want to use a standard shoelace knot for those, or you'll never get her out of it! :lol:
Hank Moody
Swinnow
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:Yeah, you definitely want to use a standard shoelace knot for those, or you'll never get her out of it! :lol:
Casting my memory back the issue became getting her in it rather than out of it :wink:
The then Ms Swinnow changed her taste in clothing lol
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Grrr. Some cnut has found an SQL injection attack vuln on one of our websites. Still, 90 minutes between discovery and code patch isn't bad.
—Bertrand Russell
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Geeky I suppose.
Live view of Starman (or The Stig in space).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKA ... tUNslZht-6.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Code: Select all

perl -pi -e 's/[^[:ascii:]]//g' $file
—Bertrand Russell
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

???? No lo se.

Just a brief note : the above shoelace geekiness deserves to be framed! :notworthy:
Very funny dead-serious - gotta love it.
Immodium for the people
EvilBastard
Overbomber

My lovely shiny new employer (no, really - lovely. Been here a month waiting for the other shoe to drop, hasn't yet, maybe it won't - stress levels through the floor, happiness through the roof, blood pressure at its lowest since I was maybe 4 years old) is looking to build out a knowledge base to make information/intel shareable across the business and its clients.

Requirements:
Needs to be something that can be both internal & client-facing, maybe having a switch that you can toggle to decide which audience(s) you want to be able to see the content.
Should have a content-rating system - "Did you like this article?" - so we can track engagement and increase quality.
Should have a means by which users can be led down a path - "Now that you've read this article, maybe you'd be interested in this video/article/info."
Should be trackable - how many people looked at/clicked on this article in the past n months?
Ideally should be linkable to another page - marketing is keen on having knowledge base content accessible on various pages on the company website.

Right now we're using Atlassian's JIRA and Confluence applications - Atlassian has something called Service Desk but it doesn't have a customer-facing knowledge base, so it's not an ideal solution. ZenDesk is pretty, but it's a Bugatti Veyron where we need a good reliable station wagon.

Does anyone have experience with online knowledge bases from an implementation perspective?
Hank Moody
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

EvilBastard wrote:Right now we're using Atlassian's JIRA and Confluence applications
I would have thought that Confluence can fit all of those requirements (with the odd plugin or two).
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Designing and building Google Actions for their smart speakers
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Swinnow
Overbomber

Was listening to TalkRadio during one of those 'can't get to sleep nights' when I heard of a right on alternative to google for your browser searches.

Will give it a go for at least a few weeks at home and in work. Also trying less coffee :lol:

https://info.ecosia.org/what
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Swinnow wrote:Was listening to TalkRadio during one of those 'can't get to sleep nights' when I heard of a right on alternative to google for your browser searches.

Will give it a go for at least a few weeks at home and in work. Also trying less coffee :lol:

https://info.ecosia.org/what
I use duckduckgo sometimes: https://duckduckgo.com/

I have also been geeking more shoelace knots :lol: https://www.animatedknots.com/shoesurgeons/index.php
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i love my rocketbook everlast notebook.
have outgeeked our school geeks. briefly, for a tiny shining moment
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Pista
Cureboi

This pretty awesome background removal tool

Gives you a pretty darn good transparent .png that you can overlay onto anything you want to. 8)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:This pretty awesome background removal tool

Gives you a pretty darn good transparent .png that you can overlay onto anything you want to. 8)
oooh yes, that is pretty cool! :D

runs off to find images to play with.
Swinnow
Overbomber

....the mind boggles.... :innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

We got a new SAN in work and I'm like a pig in sh!t. :)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.