the oldest Sisters flyer that I´ve seen so far

Do you do a TSOM-related website? Do you know any cool TSOM websites? Sites listed here may be about anything to do with The Sisters: lyrics, tours, photos, biographies, interviews, etc. Post your URLs along with a short description of the website here.

Note: Please post links about trading Sisters memorabilia or your personal collection in the Trading section.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

5th february 1982

Being645
Above the Chemist

:eek: ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

cool ... ;D ... and already integrated into the SistersWiki ... ;D ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I wonder if Andrew looked at the flyer and complained "but we're not a goth band!" :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:I wonder if Andrew looked at the flyer and complained "but we're not a goth band!" :innocent:
I wonder. In those days, the word "goth" (if it existed at all) and pictures of skeletons, didn't have the connotations that emerged with time... :wink: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Great find :notworthy: .
How did TSOM get so many gigs at York Uni colleges in the early days ? Was this through the Tony K/Red Rhino connection, or did one of the band have a mate who was responsible for booking the bands there ?
Poisonheart
Road Kill

Sorry to perform necrophilia on an old thread, but I can categorically state that back then no one called it Goth. It was Alternative usually. The lines were quite blurred between Punk and Alternative in those days around Wakefield and Leeds. The term Indie was of course something completely different to today too.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The Doors were described as "gothic rock" as early as 1967. It was being used to describe a genre of music (rather than just individual bands) by late 1979. A review from October of that year already spoke of it as being " a somewhat overworked definition of the genre".

http://www.scathe.demon.co.uk/name.htm
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Poisonheart
Road Kill

As the article states, Goth wasn't used to describe these bands until about 83 onwards..before that it was always Alternative or Positive Punk. Certainly in our neck of the woods anyhow.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Poisonheart wrote:As the article states, Goth wasn't used to describe these bands until about 83 onwards..before that it was always Alternative or Positive Punk. Certainly in our neck of the woods anyhow.
It says it wasn't used to describe the movement or followers until 1983. It was used to describe Joy Division and the Banshees in 1979 and the whole genre by October that year. May not have become common usage in your neck of the woods until later.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
mh
Above the Chemist

It's a subtle but significant difference between "gothic" (small "g") vs "Goth" (big "G") I thinks.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Hmm, not sure I really buy that, although I see what you're saying. "Gothic" was used as a description, then after a while "goth" (or "Goth" - I'm not sure there's any significant difference) became used as a label. But one's just a shortened version of the other. What stands out for me is that by October 1979 the term "gothic" was so closely associated with the entire genre that it could be considered overused.
deadagain
Banned

To add to this discussion, I understood that UK Decay described themselves as 'gothic punk' in an early interview.
Is this the place I used to know as Fatherland?