Patricia Morrison

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

I never understood why Andrew even brought Patricia into the band.

Bad from a PR point of view since the goth chick look wasn't that marketable at that time, that's when guys were all into the Kelly Bundy look, mainstream wise that is. And Andrew obviously wanted the Sisters to be as big as possible, wouldn't have brought in Jim Steinman otherwise, I mean he was known for producing hits. Then on top of all that, he said he re-recorded over most of her stuff, so she obviously wasn't that great of a musician. I've heard bits and pieces of her stuff she's done outside of the Sisters, nothing special.

So in the end all he did was kick himself in the ass because she didn't work out for the band, so he re-recorded some of the material, then he boots her and goes to move on but stupid journalists had to go and interview her and she played the whole "Andrew is a bully and a big meanie and kicked me out onto the street" card, which wasn't good PR for the band. Then over the years she has ripped on the SIsters by saying the Damned is a better band, which is a joke since the Damned has always been a clearance bin band, and gone on about Andrew doing drugs.

Maybe if Andrews or that other guy do a sequel to their Sisters bio's, they'll go into detail on why Andrew made the mistake he did by bringing her into the fold, briefly.

Now a loss was Wayne, its a shame Andrew and Wayne couldn't keep things going, he's a talented musician, and even when he was trying to be like Bono eons ago, it wasn't a bad attempt. But U2, at least in the late 80's, made the m*****n sound like a second rate band. The modern day U2... totally bland as fck. But well, they got older and Bono lost the rage he had when it came to tackling the political themes he used to tackle, Maybe he switched to decaf...
Being645
Above the Chemist

For a starter, she was there, when Andrew needed her regards The Sisterhood which dear Wayne and Craig were promoting as The Sisters of Mercy's follow-up (sic). Also, don't know why, but I'm pretty sure, that the great bass line in Giving Ground was of her produce ... like quite some other bass parts in the Floodland album, which however got revised and reworked. So it says.
Also, without Patricia in all these interviews in the media, her appearance in all the Floodland videos and on occasions like TV performances or at the Montreaux Festival, there had clearly been a very important part missing as The Sisters did not tour with the Floodland album. Don't know how the album would have been promoted and how it would have sold without the videos and without Patricia ... maybe as widely and successfully as The m*****n's products at the time?
Not that I liked her (or The Damned), but fair enough ...
Last edited by Being645 on 11 May 2022, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Deviancy wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:46 ...the goth chick look wasn't that marketable at that time, that's when guys were all into the Kelly Bundy look, mainstream wise that is.
That's an... interesting take. Patsy was all over the UK music press as eye-candy while she was in the band.
Deviancy wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:46
...he said he re-recorded over most of her stuff, so she obviously wasn't that great of a musician..
We have done this to death and the consensus view is that Andrew isn't being exactly truthful with this. He chopped up her bass-lines into the individual notes and triggered those notes with the sequencer. By all accounts the final product was indistinguishable (to anyone other than Eldritch) from the basslines she'd recorded.
Deviancy wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:46 ... she played the whole "Andrew is a bully and a big meanie and kicked me out onto the street" card, which wasn't good PR for the band.
Blame him, he was the one who kicked her out and started badmouthing her left, right and centre. For instance by saying that she never played on the records...
Deviancy wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:46 Then over the years she has ripped on the SIsters by saying the Damned is a better band, which is a joke since the Damned has always been a clearance bin band, and gone on about Andrew doing drugs.
I don't think she said that. I think she has said that Vanian is a better man than Eldritch.

As for the drug habit, Eldritch circa 1990 was doing a heck of a lot of cocaine (look at some of the interview videos from the late 80s and early 90s; he's almost as bad as the time Bowie was on the Dick Cavett show) and if you're already a paranoid control freak, cocaine is not your friend.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 11 May 2022, 14:23 That's an... interesting take. Patsy was all over the UK music press as eye-candy while she was in the band.
Well, not in the US but the UK and the US were always two different worlds when it came to music at least, i mean 80's metal was popular everywhere but in the US it just dominated the music press, along with female pop singers like Paula Abdul. But I don't think grunge dominated EUrope like it did the US, just a different world I guess. Hell, I didn't even know who the Patrica was by name when I got into the SIsters since I got into them in between Floodland and Vision thing and she was already gone by Vision Thing.

Going back to Andrew Vs. Patricia, which I haven't heard him mention in eons, I do think he wanted to boink her and that played a role in things, and I think he did boink her and got bored... She always came off like a bitter ex who got used... and he always came off like a guy who was like, "for fcks sake, just go away you stupid @#$". I mean Axl has fired tons of musicians, none of them have ever been like, "the new singer I work with is a real man".

Just a theory...

Nothing more than a theory...

And I just pulled her up on Wiki and it says this..

"She left the band in 1990, claiming money that was owed by Eldritch was not paid"

So was she booted or did she quit? To be fair, Wiki is referring to an interview that's on vamp.org, so not exactly 100% credible since that's an old net goth site.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Well, in the Heartland Forum's very own SistersWiki, there's not much about her
apart from links leading to discussions, like this one ... :) ...

But then, there's not much about any other former band member, either,
particularly not about those who had left the band before the SistersWiki started, i.e. 2004-2005.

Obviously, it's not been soo very important ... maybe we should write a few lines more in all fairness ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

A few years ago she did a really lovely thing and auctioned her sisters payoff for charity. Each item came with a personalised letter.

I thought her action very kind. Now she's mainly a fiesta driving mom.
Goths have feelings too
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dear god in heaven it's no wonder Von keeps schtum is it, some of the wild and hysterical conclusions people draw from any utterance. Some of these threads have started to plum The Sun-esque journalistic depths.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Planet Dave wrote: 11 May 2022, 22:19 Dear god in heaven it's no wonder Von keeps schtum is it, some of the wild and hysterical conclusions people draw from any utterance. Some of these threads have started to plum The Sun-esque journalistic depths.
Absolutely, therefore some clear and facts-based information might eventually get this to something like normal ... as far as I understand relations between Von and Morrison normalised already in ... the last century ...

ALSO, the current events are soo much more interesting and exciting ... ;D ;D ;D ....
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 11 May 2022, 22:19 Dear god in heaven it's no wonder Von keeps schtum is it, some of the wild and hysterical conclusions people draw from any utterance. Some of these threads have started to plum The Sun-esque journalistic depths.
Pfft, I'm going by basic pysch 101, the stuff the two of them put out there after the split did fit the profile of a bad romantic relationship rather than just an employer firing an employee.

But notice how I said psych 101, I only took the course for two semesters then switched to computer science, far more entertaining.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think they definitely "boinked" as you so delightfully put it. Isn't "After Hours" supposedly Andrew's paean to her?

From my memory of the time, the music press over here (NME, Melody Maker, Sounds) treated 80s US hair metal as the complete joke that it was. Mainstream music (like Paula Abdul) was just flat-out ignored. Even things like Smash Hits had posters of The Sisters, The m*****n and the Nephs back in the day :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:37 I think they definitely "boinked" as you so delightfully put it. Isn't "After Hours" supposedly Andrew's paean to her?
I'd have to dig up old interviews and the comments they made about one another, but there were obvious signs within the responses they gave interviewers that showed there was something sexual and/or romantic going on between the two. I'd say its nobodies business if they just said to the press, "we parted ways, it wasn't working out". But one or both turned into more of a dramatic affair in interviews, so they opened the door to the public chiming in.
markfiend wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:37 From my memory of the time, the music press over here (NME, Melody Maker, Sounds) treated 80s US hair metal as the complete joke that it was.
THe UK press was more diverse and didn't cater to one genre despite a genres dominance, which was refreshing. So while Leppard or the Crue would do very well in the UK, the press still would cover bands that didn't do as well like the Cure, which was cool. I wish it was like that in the US at that time, but it wasn't, was just all about 80's metal or pop crap. Take your pick.. Circus or Tiger beat..

These days it wouldn't matter, there really aren't many magazines still being printed in the US, the gossip rags and once in awhile there's some movie franchise special, oh and Guns And Ammo is still rather popular.

I remember book stores... like Borders... aww... those were the days.
Last edited by Deviancy on 12 May 2022, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
paint it black

markfiend wrote: 12 May 2022, 09:37 I think they definitely "boinked" as you so delightfully put it. Isn't "After Hours" supposedly Andrew's paean to her?

From my memory of the time, the music press over here (NME, Melody Maker, Sounds) treated 80s US hair metal as the complete joke that it was. Mainstream music (like Paula Abdul) was just flat-out ignored. Even things like Smash Hits had posters of The Sisters, The m*****n and the Nephs back in the day :lol:
Smash Hits even had a Sisters badge lol
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

Being645 wrote: 11 May 2022, 19:30 Well, in the Heartland Forum's very own SistersWiki, there's not much about her
apart from links leading to discussions, like this one ... :) ...
I've fully revised the page now, think it's ok this way ... :) ...
Dan
Overbomber

Ahh, I finally found something I'd been looking for for ages!

So... when she performed under her own name (eventually releasing "Reflect On This" in 1994), she started performing with that band in 1992, playing their first gigs in October. But before this she was listed as appearing at Leeds Duchess Of York on 3rd Aug 1992. I went along to the gig but it was cancelled. The interesting bit is the band was listed as "Sister Gun", using parts of the names of two bands she'd previously been in. Obviously had this gig taken place someone might not have been too happy (and might have had to hastily put out an album using the name!).

But I hadn't saved the flyer so had no evidence...

But I just found it...

3rd Aug 1992: Sister Gun with Patricia Morrison.

Last edited by Dan on 15 May 2022, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote: 14 May 2022, 16:37 But I hadn't saved the flyer so had no evidence...

But I just found it...
It's funny you'd post that today since the Meteors should be going on stage soon at the Cruel World Festival today.

I've been looking for some 90's "goth" comic strips that some guy used to do. They usually featured Morrissey, Fat Bob, and Siouxsie and he'd go the satire route with how they'd interact with one another. However, in one strip, he introduced the three to Sean from London After Midnight, and that's the one I'm looking for. I'm sure its archived somewhere, if I can only remember the name of the strip. I found Writhe and Shine the other day, swore those comic strips would have been long gone but nope.
Being645
Above the Chemist

...wow, what a cool find ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Very, very, very far away I think I heard of that band, but I wasn't aware Patricia Morrision was part of it, though somehow I suspected so ...

Oh look, Gangwar played there just a week before ... the 90s were still a wonderful time ... (more or less depending where you were and how)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

If we're chalking up vague synchronicities i played the drums in 2 bands with ex-meteors bassist 'the spectre' aka nev hunt but funnily enough i never played drums for The Sisters.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Dan wrote: 14 May 2022, 16:37 Ahh, I finally found something I'd been looking for for ages!

So... when she performed under her own name (eventually releasing "Reflect On This" in 1994), she started performing with that band in 1992, playing their first gigs in October. But before this she was listed as appearing at Leeds Duchess Of York on 3rd Aug 1992. I went along to the gig but it was cancelled. The interesting bit is the band was listed as "Sister Gun", using parts of the names of two bands she'd previously been in. Obviously had this gig taken place someone might not have been too happy (and might have had to hastily put out an album using the name!).

But I hadn't saved the flyer so had no evidence...

But I just found it...

3rd Aug 1994: Sister Gun with Patricia Morrison.

Superb flyer :notworthy: ahh The Duchess :D :notworthy: some lively nights had in there in student days and beyond, PJ Harvey and Ian McNabb being two of them, but many many more featuring A N Other Godawful Metal/Alt/Rock/Glam band or etc. Top top venue :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
czuczu
Overbomber

A House were still going in 94! I quite liked them a few years earlier, decent first album.

I saw her at the Castle in Brentwood that summer, 15th June is my best guess but no flyer to confirm it :(
Dan
Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 16 May 2022, 00:04 A House were still going in 94!
The flyer is 1992. I originally put 1994 by mistake but edited my post, but it's still in the quoted post.
czuczu
Overbomber

Dan wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:30
czuczu wrote: 16 May 2022, 00:04 A House were still going in 94!
The flyer is 1992. I originally put 1994 by mistake but edited my post, but it's still in the quoted post.
😄 That makes much more sense, think I saw them in support slots a couple of times that summer - one hit indie wonders who missed every scene going and then quietly disappeared.
The Patricia gig I saw was in the backroom of a pub and I think we were the only ones in the audience, about 10 of us so barely outnumbered those on stage...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

I hadnt seen this before just now soin case any others havent...
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
czuczu
Overbomber

Nice, got to be early-mid '88 based on the Prince ref ;)
paint it black

I had that photo on my school exercise book back when you were supposed to use wallpaper. Still have it in my box of life. Also got a spare of that Melody Maker somewhere
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity