John Perry - Vision Thing

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Listed on the VT credits 'John Perry - Special guest guitars'. I know JP is probably a commonish english name but is this the John Perry from The Only Ones fame, ie Peter Perret, 'Another Girl, Another Planet' etc. Anyone the wiser? :?
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Loki

Thanx Hal. That's the man. Here he is in his former glory.

http://www.sierrabravo.co.uk/perrett/too.htm

And I have my 15 seconds of fame having had a footie kickabout with him and the rest of the band in a car park outside some dingy club in Holland in 1979. 8)
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

I wish I had a rock star story.

the closest I have managed so far is the time I thought I saw Morrissey in a club, then found out later that it wasn't him.
Gazza for England manager
Loki

Black Shuck wrote:I wish I had a rock star story.

the closest I have managed so far is the time I thought I saw Morrissey in a club, then found out later that it wasn't him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I was just fortunate that I lived in Germany 77-79 close to the dutch border. Bear in mind, that for most punk/new wave bands coming over to europe, it was their first tour (maybe even their first time abroad?) and despite maybe a couple of years success in the UK, they were still unknown on the mainland. Tours tended to comprise a battered white van and cheap B&B's, so when they turned up at dingy venue for a soundcheck, prior to the evenings gig, and found a bunch of Brits there, they were more than happy to chat, let you hang around, play footie, get drunk and get in for nothing. With some bigger names, at bigger venues, we just jumped the stage door queue by saying 'Hi, we're Brits. Can we meet the band' as the bouncers tended to be their own crew and glad to meet Brits abroad. 8)

First time I tried to jump a queue in the UK, I nearly got my head kicked in. :|
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I once saw someone I thought was Cliff Richard's brother, but then I found out he didn't have one. And it turned out to be a woman, anyway (I'd just had an eye operation). But I was convinced at the time.

How weird is that!!??!!

(All apologies to Mark and Lard).
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Loki

MrChris wrote:I once saw someone I thought was Cliff Richard's brother, but then I found out he didn't have one. And it turned out to be a woman, anyway (I'd just had an eye operation). But I was convinced at the time.

How weird is that!!??!!

:eek: :lol: :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:I once saw someone I thought was Cliff Richard's brother, but then I found out he didn't have one. And it turned out to be a woman, anyway (I'd just had an eye operation). But I was convinced at the time.

How weird is that!!??!!

was it christa ackroyd, from itv's calendar? she looks like (sir) cliff's brother! :D :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Loki

FINALLY, postie delivered my John Peel, The Only Ones sessions this morning and groovy, groovy it is. Sleeve notes ...

'When somebody who'd never heard The Only Ones wanted to know what we sounded like, I'd always play them the Peel sessions in preference to the studio albums. They're rougher but there's more feel 'cos the songs were more or less recorded live. You'd do four songs in an eight hour session then mix the same evening on an 8-track desk that looked like it had been there since Reith; the faders worked back to front so if you leaned on one by mistake the surge didn't blow up the transmitter. There were no effects beyond reverb and some compression, but you could do whatever you wanted; nobody was at all put out when I wanted to record the sound of my Strat being thrown around the room for the end of Oh No, they just went out and sent up the appropriate mics. The great thing about recording under those conditions and at that speed is that it shows whether the songs stand up by themselves'

John Perry talking to Dave Cavenagh, Sounds, 1989

And stand up they do. I'd forgotten what a distinctive guitarist he is and so I shall revisit VT at the weekend. I have a sneaking feeling all the chugga-chagga will be messrs B&B and the real geetar, Mr Perry. Possibly playing the 'difficult' bits that Von wrote.

Anyone who can squeezes a 90 second guitar solo into a 3 minute pop song gets my vote. And obviously Mr E's. :von:
Last edited by Loki on 06 Nov 2003, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

cool!

"There were no effects beyond reverb and some compression, but you could do whatever you wanted; nobody was at all put out when I wanted to record the sound of my Strat being thrown around the room for the end of Oh No, they just went out and sent up the appropriate mics. The great thing about recording under those conditions and at that speed is that it shows whether the songs stand up by themselves'"

lars - are you reading this? :von: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?