James Ray

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

JAMES RAY wrote:Really? Is that what it takes.
a vision and a strong theme, a lot of film samples, a lot of whisky and one or two synths...

its a beautiful thing :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

nice avatar - hope you understand it's origin
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

JAMES RAY wrote:nice avatar - hope you understand it's origin
in all fairness no, well not above and beyond its usage on your artwork anyway...

care to elaborate? 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
taylor
Slight Overbomber

just downloaded some tracks from JR site :notworthy:
but seems that come from vinyl :eek:
somebody noticed this too :?:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

A band I know recorded some songs in the same studio that James Ray was in at the time.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a band who i'd never heard of -and had definitely never clapped eyes on me before- asked me to join them while i was stood talking to ed rhombus at the same bar as....JAMES RAY!! :roll: :roll: (who incidentally isn't a wanker at all IMHO).
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Silver_Owl
The Don

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:a band who i'd never heard of -and had definitely never clapped eyes on me before- asked me to join them while i was stood talking to ed rhombus at the same bar as....JAMES RAY!! :roll: :roll: (who incidentally isn't a wanker at all IMHO).
He's a great bloke and he looks like me (apparently). :D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:a band who i'd never heard of -and had definitely never clapped eyes on me before- asked me to join them while i was stood talking to ed rhombus at the same bar as....JAMES RAY!! :roll: :roll: (who incidentally isn't a wanker at all IMHO).
Did you say yes?
eastmidswhizzkid

in a word, no.
when someone who has never heard you sing aks you to join their band because you fit their "look" (even though their "look" seems to be nothing like your own) it immediately sounds dodgy, doesn't it?
i let him give me a cd to listen to 'cause he said they were industrial-y sounding blah, blah; but when i listened to the cd it was far too cheery and lightweight for me.

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Out of curiosity, what was the band called?
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:JAMES RAY!! :roll: :roll: (who incidentally isn't a wanker at all IMHO).
Yes he's a lovely man - I must remember that first impressions don't always count
eastmidswhizzkid

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:JAMES RAY!! :roll: :roll: (who incidentally isn't a wanker at all IMHO).
Yes he's a lovely man - I must remember that first impressions don't always count
true enough, but he has borne out my first impressions of him. consider:

he gives away entire back catalogue for free download on t'internet -an artist who is genuinely more interested in making his music available for the sake of it reaching a wider audience than financial gain. and he was quite happy for me to run off copies for those unable to download it all (ie planet dave).

he comes on here -a site dedicated to a band he has been part of, a site populated by obsessive fans of said band- in his real name; not only puts up with the probably highly mundane questions we throw at him, but actually answers them (sort of! :innocent: ) without condescension or conceit.

he also refused to be rattled by some arse-candle trying to hold him to ransom over his own master-tapes - then offers them up to however for whatever purpose as long as the profit goes to amnesty.

and although 4080peru turned out not to be as popular as his older stuff with a lot of people at bloktober he didn't get all primadonna about it. he was quite happy to sign stuff for everyone and chat at the bar -and come back on here as a Heartlander afterwards.
for fuck's sake -the fact that he was prepared to do the gig in the first place show's he's a sound bloke.

Silver_Owl
The Don

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:
true enough, but he has borne out my first impressions of him. consider:

he gives away entire back catalogue for free download on t'internet -an artist who is genuinely more interested in making his music available for the sake of it reaching a wider audience than financial gain. and he was quite happy for me to run off copies for those unable to download it all (ie planet dave).

he comes on here -a site dedicated to a band he has been part of, a site populated by obsessive fans of said band- in his real name; not only puts up with the probably highly mundane questions we throw at him, but actually answers them (sort of! :innocent: ) without condescension or conceit.

he also refused to be rattled by some arse-candle trying to hold him to ransom over his own master-tapes - then offers them up to however for whatever purpose as long as the profit goes to amnesty.

and although 4080peru turned out not to be as popular as his older stuff with a lot of people at bloktober he didn't get all primadonna about it. he was quite happy to sign stuff for everyone and chat at the bar -and come back on here as a Heartlander afterwards.
for fuck's sake -the fact that he was prepared to do the gig in the first place show's he's a sound bloke.
Well said that man. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I'll buy you a drink, Lee. :notworthy:
eastmidswhizzkid

Dark wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the band called?
cybercide

Dark
Underneath the Rock

Hmm.. they covered Alice at their first gig. While I don't like that particular song, good taste on their part. :)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Well said indeed Lee :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Who said obsessional fans can't be rational :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Various reminiscences split out to here
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
25men
Road Kill

taylor
Slight Overbomber

in which songs he sing ?
radiojamaica
Overbomber

25men wrote:He's here
We knew that already, man :lol:
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

radiojamaica wrote:
25men wrote:He's here
We knew that already, man :lol:
Reminder... :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Catomeat
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:
allfear wrote:that was the 2nd manc gig in 1996, Ketimine did a demo called who are the bastards in black or summit didnt they?

Matt
that sounds about right for them... they always had a bizarre sense of humour, and an intense love of football :lol:

they were all mad man city fans, and i believe they changed their musical style dramatically a couple of years later and ended up a big-beat dance combo a la "bentleys rhythm ace", and have had one of their tracks played at maine road at half-time :lol:
I think dramatically changing our musical style is overstating the case, but yeah, we did seem to go big beat, then I went breakbeat, but you can't beat a chorus pedal, eh Sisters/Neff/Violets/etc? Heaven forbid we should move on!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Granted, it may not be the same James Ray, but... :lol:

Inquiries into 'sweatbox' deaths
The BBC wrote:Yavapai County Sheriff Steve Waugh said on Saturday that inquiries were centred on self-help expert James Ray as police looked at possible criminal negligence.

Waugh denied that Ray had asked for a number of other charges of criminal negligence and crimes against music to be taken into account, stemming from his involvement in a short-lived and ill-fated mid-80s venture involving "Tele-Tubby" Trisha.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
ww23
Road Kill

There are some CD re-issues coming, they look good in my opinion!

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopdisplay ... ames%20Ray