2005/08/08, Lokeren, Belgium

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the August 2005 European tour.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

not sure if it was planned that way.... . seems like the emma lyrics mystiriously disappeared - we had that with drums already... ;-)

thx a lot anyway - great to hear it - emma will always stay an incredible sisters-anthem for me
love is just a shot away
wiscel
Road Kill

Hope Von reads this forum and changes the lyrics back to the original lyrics before M'era Luna (yeah, right)
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

No, he'd better not, we want to get what he made of those lyrics :lol:

Oh, and there was a review in my fave newspaper today (well they said it was weak, so not so fave anymore :roll: ), I'll get you a translation posted soon!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mrgreen
Road Kill

OK, I've decided to weed the recording. It will be available in a few days.

As for uploading it: I do have the necessary disk space but my provider severely limits my upload (capacity and traffic) so that is not really an option. Maybe if I can find a solution I might upload it anyway. I'll keep in touch !
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Glad to hear you made that decision mrgreen :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
jenzi-benzi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mrgreen wrote:OK, I've decided to weed the recording. It will be available in a few days.

As for uploading it: I do have the necessary disk space but my provider severely limits my upload (capacity and traffic) so that is not really an option. Maybe if I can find a solution I might upload it anyway. I'll keep in touch !
weed a few cds via mail, to those that upload somewhere else.. :innocent:
mrgreen
Road Kill

jenzi-benzi wrote:weed a few cds via mail, to those that upload somewhere else.. :innocent:
Yep, that's what I was thinking :wink:
So, the people that I will send the cd to will have to promise me that they will upload the files 8)
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mrgreen wrote:
jenzi-benzi wrote:weed a few cds via mail, to those that upload somewhere else.. :innocent:
Yep, that's what I was thinking :wink:
So, the people that I will send the cd to will have to promise me that they will upload the files 8)
read my pm i just send u... :wink:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Allright, the newspaper review I promised to post... The guy really found them s**t, but it seems he'd come over his own words, must admit some passages are quite funny :lol: :roll:
De Morgen, Bart Steenhout, 10-08-2005 - Obviousman translation wrote:Lokerse Feesten – Sisters of Mercy kill own myth - * (=weak)

Alice in Thunderland

Little groups are so prone on rolling in their own myth as The Sisters Of Mercy. The flag bearers of post punk didn’t publish a new record the last fifteen years, didn’t want to talk with to press and only performed by high exception. Even there Andrew Eldritch and his constantly changing group liked to hide behind a thick cloud of mist so couldn’t even see more than some thin silhouettes on first row.
Despite business going this bizarre way the Sisters have remained enormously popular and they even still get in touch with a new generation of fans. Mondaynight they had come from all corners of Europe the see the legend alive, but they might’ve had quite a shock when Eldritch came on stage from between the spitting smoke machines. His well known raven hair had (probably had to, Eldritch is 46 already) made way for a bald skull. As compensation he cultivated a goatee that had precisely been soaked in black dye. And above that the Sister still wore his traditional sunglasses. Which is slightly idiotic, around midnight.
Count a black biker jacket with that which made him broader than he actually was, and he looked more like a leather queer that had a couple of carriers with Judas Priest behind his back. Only the uncomfortably deep graveyard voice had remained though it broke several times, so it looked like the tortured singer was impersonating a hurt animal stuck in a rusty clamp.
Musically everything, literally everything, had stuck to the old. The songs of the Sisters mirrored, when first published, perfectly the spirit of the time. The cold rhythms came out of the drum computer, the guitars sounded hypnotic and transparent and the keyboards gave it all something majestic. Two decennia later ‘First and Last and Always’, ‘On a Wire’ and ‘Flood’ were no more than echoes from a long lost past, they came with the bombast of thunder strikes out of the speakers. Even ‘Alice’, once the anthem of a whole generation of new wavers, degraded on the spot to something you could call –just spit out the dirty taste- goth-metal.
Just now and then the atmosphere of the bigger days shimmered through. ‘Dominion’ as well as ‘Vision Thing’ that was saved for the encores showed themselves healthy, and recalled us why exactly we loved this group so much as a teenager. These moments however were to scarce to make the balance tip into the right direction. It was nice to hear Eldritch took the dust of his ‘Temple of Love’, but the building he presented in Lokeren was windy and about to collapse. So, after a while you were waiting for someone that would save Eldritch from the complete defeat by hiding it all underneath a soundproof blanket. Alas: No mercy for the Sisters Of Mercy.
You know if a Top Ranked rock band would've done something like he described, they'd say the band had reinvented itself etc... Journalism nonsense...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Peter KJ
Amphetamine Filth

About Emma: I was really surprised to hear that encore in Lokeren. I expected the Emma-lyrics but I like this version. Hope to hear it again in Hildesheim.

I've found another newspaper review. You can find the scan and some pictures I made on
http://www.lanky.be/lokeren.htm
In this newspaper the photo of the Sisters fans is bigger then the photos of Von ;-)

Peter
aims
Overbomber

Don't suppose you know which song they were playing in the last picture?

It's interesting to see Adam just singing and not playing his guitar :|
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

well...if you listen to songs as "on A wire", that journalist must have been listening to another group that we did... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

he should have listened to some recent boots, that way he could have agreed that this show was one of the best ever!!
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Peter KJ
Amphetamine Filth

Don't suppose you know which song they were playing in the last picture?

It's interesting to see Adam just singing and not playing his guitar
It was Flood 2. It really suprised me. Von and Adam stood there so close to each other just like two good friends having a great time together.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ghostrider wrote:well...if you listen to songs as "on A wire", that journalist must have been listening to another group that we did... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

he should have listened to some recent boots, that way he could have agreed that this show was one of the best ever!!
:lol:

It was indeed no typo of me :wink:

At least the reporter of the other newspaper copied the names of the songs off my setlist :innocent:

Still, I'm affraid not much reporters do comparing... Today they gave another group three stars because they did more or less exactly what the sisters did, of course in their style with their songs, but still :roll:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
christophe
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Today they gave another group three stars because they did more or less exactly what the sisters did, of course in their style with their songs, but still :roll:
what band do you mean?
the Cure? becaus they where magnificent!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Nah, -censored crappy local band- :lol:
Last edited by Obviousman on 11 Aug 2005, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
christophe
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:If you delete that picture, thank you :urff:

You see, there was a reason why I did not post the group name :wink:
Deal :wink:
Last edited by christophe on 11 Aug 2005, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

If you delete that picture, thank you :urff:

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

More pictures:

The rest were all fecked up due to the ever-present dry ice :urff:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
randdebiel²

Obviousman wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:about that special thing.....has anyone used as much as I did? is it normal that my heart is still pounding? it's the only thing unusual that went through my body yesterday, so....
I was wondering if he put a speed derivate in it :lol:
I haven't slept all night because of it....ah well, it was worth it :D
Well, I don't have any problems because of it and I had quite a big sip of it, so I'm affraid that'll be you :lol:

But it did taste good, didn't it :wink:
ah thx, it will be the 3 duvels and the joint then :lol:

I found a computer :party:
no cd-writer on it though :(
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
randdebiel²

mrgreen wrote:
Dan wrote:Thanks for the video christophe. Now, can anyone upload an mp3 of the full song. :D
Emma, Lokeren, Aug 8 2005
I can't seem to be able to download it :eek: no dominion either btw :(
mrgreen
Road Kill

randdebiel² wrote:
mrgreen wrote:
Dan wrote:Thanks for the video christophe. Now, can anyone upload an mp3 of the full song. :D
Emma, Lokeren, Aug 8 2005
I removed 'em. They are now available on the ftp site of jenzi-benzi.

The full recording will be available there as well.
randdebiel²

mrgreen wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:
I removed 'em. They are now available on the ftp site of jenzi-benzi.

The full recording will be available there as well.
thx :notworthy:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Obviousman wrote:If you delete that picture, thank you :urff:

Aw, come on.. you know us dodgy darklings might like them. :lol:
aims
Overbomber

I think that's what he was afraid of ;)