Washington - 9:30 - 7th March

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
sistinas
Road Kill

got a chance last night to scan the (partial) set list I got after the show

czuczu
Overbomber

sistinas wrote:got a chance last night to scan the (partial) set list I got after the show
Are they gettting bigger every tour?
They'll be in braille soon :innocent:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

czuczu wrote:
sistinas wrote:got a chance last night to scan the (partial) set list I got after the show
Are they gettting bigger every tour?
They'll be in braille soon :innocent:
Next tour there'll be an extra crew-member holding up lyric sheets (one line at a time) at the back of the venue, that way :von: will be able to just karaoke along ;D (think Krusty :lol:)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Francis
Overbomber

The Drowning Season wrote:Andrew said something at the end but I didn't catch it (did anyone else?).
It sounded like "Vote yourselves thicker" to me but don't quote me on it. Some kind of message to the White House? He said it again last night at Philly, so maybe not.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
OptimusGeorge
Road Kill

Francis wrote:
The Drowning Season wrote:Andrew said something at the end but I didn't catch it (did anyone else?).
It sounded like "Vote yourselves thicker" to me but don't quote me on it. Some kind of message to the White House? He said it again last night at Philly, so maybe not.
He really doesn't like the way the US government is running. It could easily have been a shot at DC... that is where we were... I think I saw Cheney in the back wearing goth attire and running around with a shot gun.
davedecay
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

OptimusGeorge wrote:He really doesn't like the way the US government is running.
well that makes several million of us, plus another. :!:
Francis
Overbomber

Moved from General Chat at mod's request:

Washington DC: My hotel was on E street and the gig was on V. The map at reception only went as far as L. "Most people don't want to go to V" said the school-mam who checked me in. The room had very prominent security warnings regarding not leaving valuables when you go out and locking doors when you're in. I curbed my gastric rumblings with a steak and took a taxi to V. There were ashtrays on the bar, Stella in the icebox and AndrewS and Eva in Johnny Giles' spot. Although the venue was pretty empty, it seemed to have all the makings. 9while9 (sorry, didn't get your real name) introduced himself as the Warlocks took the stage. Yep, still sound like Interpol. Withdraw to the bar and check out the eye-candy in the crowd. The balcony looked like a good view, but I got the impression it required special tickets. Great show. Lively crowd, plenty of smoke, bright lights and clear sound. Mr Eldritch has certainly chosen his guitarists well and their vocals compliment his to good effect. Enough room to groove at the fuelling up point and no complaints. My two day walking tour of the Big Apple took it's toll during the speeded-up version of Anaconda they play these days. Something Fast! Wooah! Yes, I got my lighter out. :worship: Lucretia, Top Nite Out, Temple of Love and Vision Thing. What a way to go. Blisters on my blisters and bells in my ears. Got a couple of bottles before the bar closed down and hung around for AndrewS and Eva. Unfortunately, some wanker had used the pit as a urinal so they made a swift exit home. As I necked Stella, wondering what to do next, I got talking to a guy from the military medic corps home on leave from South Korea. Apparently the US still have a heavy military presence there. More than Afghanistan but less than Iraq I think he said. Anyways, he was looking for his wife and we found her in the bar downstairs smoking a cigar and looking stunning in her Cabaret attire. The ATM was conveniently placed so I got the drinks in. I'd had a belly full of beer so Black Russians were in order. As we chatted at the foot of the stairs I noticed Chris and Ben come in. I pounced and asked them what they wanted to drink. Fortunately Chris recognised me from the bar in New York and they both accepted. Kahlua is definitely superior to Tia Maria btw. Ben's name escaped me as I passed him his drink. Way too pretty for his own good. And so innocent with it. That boy's gonna get himself in trouble. Turns out Chris is from Hull, like Mr Marx, though he wasn't aware of the connection. As many others have no doubt discovered, he's a very friendly bloke. No side on him, as they say. Very glad to have the opportunity to play for the Sisters and just about getting used to having someone to carry his guitars for him. And he'd love to record a Sisters album but knows it's not his call. Clearly enjoying the tour, meeting the fans and making the most of the opportunity. Way too cool for school. Oh yes, he prefers White Russians to Black ones, should you every get the chance to stand him a round. Somehow ended up being the last one out of there and made the dumb-ass decision to walk off the booze. Not one of my best ideas. Seems I was lucky to get out alive.
James Blast
Banned

that last line will be taken to a PM, Mr. B...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

Francis wrote:Somehow ended up being the last one out of there and made the dumb-ass decision to walk off the booze. Not one of my best ideas. Seems I was lucky to get out alive.
:eek: DC's the murder capital of the US of A :eek:

I'm impressed! :D :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
GMC
Road Kill

Well, I sent something to Andrius Sytas but here's a rundown of what I've thought of about the show.

First off: It was my first TSOM show, the band has been first on my CD tray since 1993 when a guy named Chris Azure put on Floodland at my place (Flood II was what got me). I went with my wife and a friend and sometime DJ/tech guy, and we were in the VIP section (which at the 9:30 club is on the second level, front and center). Next time I'd get in the crowd I think, Andy and Chris seemed to be having a good time with the folks in front.

Setlist was heavy on reliability - they wanted to get the "right" songs in for the US audience, which was OK by me since, for the most part, this means they play the stronger songs.

Opening Act was the Warlocks... not bad... but so far from compelling that the Sisters had them beat just walking onstage...

Now, I knew that the bass would be taped, but some of the guitars were too. Now, before I get flamed, Andrew WAS singing. Chris and Ben -were- playing. In fact, they were brilliant, especially given that they're both in their first year. Still, it's a bit depressing that the little guitar trill in Susanne and the main riff to Temple were handed to the good Doktor. Have the live guys play the interesting stuff dammit!

The Concert: Damn good. Andrew was in good form, although he and Chris were way down in the mix (you couldn't hear Chris' acoustic on Flood II at all, and Andrew was totally unheard when he actually said "In the Giving Ground"). The Floodland-era songs were highlights - Dominion, Giving Ground, Lucretia.

I still don't know how Doctor Jeep and Detonation Blvd got into the live act. By Sisters standards, these songs are filler, always have been, always will be. Now I know that the Sisters really don't do filler, and these songs are stronger than a lot of acts' best numbers, but still... replacing one of these with Under the Gun and the other with I Was Wrong (or a new song!) would have been, well, a good idea. At least they're a medley now...

Ribbons, Alice, and Dominion were straight up vicious fun. I didn't realize the long intro to Temple was Top Nite Out, but I would have preferred...you know...the other half of Temple...

Lost track of the setlist - I figured out (now that I know the song I didn't recognize was Crash and Burn) what songs were played but the order is kind of fuzzy.

Neat show. Wish I had gotten tickets for Philly too. I was sort of afraid that a bald, old looking Andrew Eldritch would show up and disappoint, but the show was tight and had power.

Incidentally, my friend (who knows about these things) said the light show was the tightest he had ever seen. Kudos to the replacement for Nigel.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

GMC wrote:the main riff to Temple were handed to the good Doktor. Have the live guys play the interesting stuff dammit!
First, thanks a lot for an interesting review!
It's strange that many songs are being played better on this tour (I just say LUCRETIA), but that Temple is a big exception...I don't know why it sounds so powerless now, maybe because of what you mention.
GMC wrote: Neat show. Wish I had gotten tickets for Philly too. I was sort of afraid that a bald, old looking Andrew Eldritch would show up and disappoint, but the show was tight and had power.
Wish I had gotten tickets for DC, just for the band outfit ;-)
Well at least we got a cut-off Burn in Philly!
GMC wrote: Incidentally, my friend (who knows about these things) said the light show was the tightest he had ever seen. Kudos to the replacement for Nigel.
:eek: Nigel is replaced??? When did this happen?? The lightshow looks so amazing I was sure he was there with them :?

And while we're on the topic of the Sisters crew - who is that bald guy selling T-shirts? Is he video-taping all the shows as well? That was a very friendly man indeed! Can't remember seeing him at the merch on previous tours :?:
GMC
Road Kill

I remember it being said that Nigel had left (or at least wasn't on one of the recent tours). I assumed he was gone for good until I saw the light show (which was bloody impressive; the "Daylight coming in" effect on the chorus of Dominion...Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick!), which was so good it had to be him, but...

To be honest, Temple wasn't very good. Again - that's "wasn't very good" for -Temple of Love- possibly Von's best song (IMO it's between that and Ribbons, folks!), but still - it should also be noted that at the DC gig Ben came in a bar late doubling the Doktor in the second verse (wink). Wasn't a big deal but it's another shot to the DAT story, since you could -hear- his guitar join the good Dr.

I didn't catch what Andrew said at the end either, although I'm relatively certain that the word "f**k" was involved.

I didn't say much about the new songs. Susanne is probably the strongest, unless there were nuances to Summer that didn't come across. The latter seemed a bit workmanlike rather than inspired. Berlin was cute, but has what I call the "Detonation Boulevard" problem. Yeah, it's decent - but anyone could have written that song - it's not Ribbons, Giving Ground, or something that HAS to be AE. I spent all of Crash and Burn trying to figure out what song it was. It was decent but I don't really have much to say about it - was too confused.

Did I mention that they need to choose the backing vocals a bit better? Chris and Ben sound okay, but they detract from the ambience on Temple and Alice, because those songs are so heavily "about" AE's voice. On the other hand, they're fine on "When You Don't See Me". Chris, by the way, sounded pretty good, and his ability to play a ridiculously low slung guitar while jumping up and down and spinning around... that isn't as easy as it looks folks...
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

9while9 (sorry, didn't get your real name) introduced himself as the Warlocks took the stage. Yep, still sound like Interpol.

It was very nice to meet you Francis, you seem like a right fine sort.
Loved the show!
It was only my 2nd SOM concert.

I do wish I could have hung out until Ben & Chris came
out but I needed to get back home having to work the next day,
(The boss is a slave drving Bastard!). Oh yeah, I am the boss I shouldn't talk about myself that way. Anyway Mr. Francis maybe we will see each other next year if Von's good enough to bring the train
through this way again.

Stay away from wondering DC alone.

Rick
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Francis
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:I'm impressed!
Don't be. I was scared sh!tless. Fortunately Washington's finest turned up before I was completely fleeced. And the moral of the story is: Don't try walking from V to E at 3am in DC.
GrooveKitten
Road Kill

Glad you braved the city streets for the show, Francis! I left right after it ended, was approached for money by 3 dudes not even a block from teh club, and practically ran to the metro station! But a little danger and intrigue made the night that much more interesting!
Francis
Overbomber

GMC wrote:Chris, by the way, sounded pretty good, and his ability to play a ridiculously low slung guitar while jumping up and down and spinning around... that isn't as easy as it looks folks...
Oh yes! That man's a star! :lol: :notworthy:

And definitely the best of my 4 gigs from New York to Toronto. Excellent venue. Sound, smoke and lights spot on. Lively crowd and top bar staff. I wanna do it again! :D
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

Francis wrote:And definitely the best of my 4 gigs from New York to Toronto. Excellent venue. Sound, smoke and lights spot on. Lively crowd and top bar staff.
And Montreal? You were there too?
Francis
Overbomber

Martin wrote:And Montreal? You were there too?
Unfortunately not. Had to fly back to the UK on the Saturday in time for work on the Monday.
TheBoyNextDoor

I don't know if this have been posted before.. here you go anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ovodlY ... of%20Mercy

"Arghhh! Too much lights for my gothy eyes! It burns, it burns!" - Ah.. that explains all the smoke then.
James Blast
Banned

Cheers! TBND :notworthy:
it is appalling quality tho' :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
TheBoyNextDoor

James Blast wrote:Cheers! TBND :notworthy:
it is appalling quality tho' :cry:
Yeah I know, the sounds suck big time. I was impressed by the lightshow though - and the absence of smoke. :eek: :D