Brussels, April 22nd

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Yeah, great gig :D :notworthy:

We arrived just in time to shake a few hands, get a beer and find a nice spot in front of the pretty boy, mista christo. Some very good dub on the soundsystem 8) and then the Sisters intro took over...

twas the same setlist as yesterday in bielefeld, without the beauty of I was wrong :( but another shiny pearl replaced it in fine style!
The Floodland era songs really got the place fired up, while the unreleased stuff sounded very familiar and were well received too (no surprise when you're right in front of course ). Very good sound, truckloads of smoke and sharp as a razorblade! And then it's done.

Yep, it was short, but no surprise :wink:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Loved it big time :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

frederik wrote: During “Dominion�, there was a technical problem and :von: stopped singing for a moment during the first part.
seems just like in Bielefeld the night before...
the longer the tour the more technical problems ? :roll:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
randdebiel²

doc P wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:great gig, too short :)
and that is supposed to mean? :innocent:
1.15 hours, and no burn, I was on the 4th row (saw christophe, was there with my wife and two friends, which is why we left immediately, sorry for that)

but: Von's singing has never been better (even though there was practically no shouting, which is kind of a let down, since he used to shout a lot)
the guitars were stonking, much better than anything I heard the last 5 years or so....and I attended LOTS of sisters gigs in that period (although not following tours like some people here do.....)

the audience was very enthusiastic, a bit too enthousiastic actually, some of the people were really shouting too loud and out of tune, the pit was a bit too heavy (even worse than ternat which was the hardest show I attended until tonight),...

all by all a great performance and we had lots of fun....
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
paul
Overbomber

Nice to see some of you again!!! Excellent gig, happy crowd!

cheers,
Paul and Donna
Badlander
Overbomber

Thank you all for the quick & nice reviews. :notworthy: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
TheBoyNextDoor

Was the setlist the same as in Copenhagen?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Just had finished a nice review as my browser crashed, second try then :roll:

Anyway, lovely gig, lovely people and more of that :D :notworthy:

Was right in front of Von, first row, but as the crowd nearly smashed my pelvis to the security bar I gave away my spot after some songs :lol:

Ben and Chris were really up to it, doing a great job, especially Chris toying about with the audience. Great :notworthy: Quite some smoke by the way, hardly saw Chris, just saw Von, haven't seen much of Ben :lol: :notworthy:

Von's singing is really great indeed. Love the controlled use of his voice much better than the yelps he used to do, but that's been discussed before :wink: High notes are taken over by the audience anyway :lol: There was some feedback (that's how you call it right?) indeed which gave quite some squeaks, so the audience had to take over a whole part during Dominion while he was cursing :lol:

Kudos to Speedy Dave. 150th gig, wow, top guy :notworthy: Hope you enjoyed the cake :D

Pics will follow later on, made about thirty. At a certain moment my phone was airborne though, so next time I'd better watch out a bit more, was lucky to catch it :eek: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
13Vision13
Road Kill

Ah yes ...

the day after ...

This reminds me, in a very convincing way, that I'm not 16 anymore :wink:
Yours truly fought his way through the crowd to arrive at the third row right in the centre. I then engaged in a 'defensive pogo' only to protect my wife who got there three songs earlier :notworthy:
As you can imagine my kidneys are no longer in their usual place :eek:
Anyhoo ... I really enjoyed this one: last gig I attended was at the M'era Luna fest back in 2002.
Some might complain that they should have played longer. Yeah maybe. If so, their was a fair chance I would not have survived (not 16 anymore remember).

We left Brussels for our hometown ... on to next party :twisted:

The Duvel was tasty as ever and every 10 minutes I had a happy new beer 8)

Now if you'll excuse me ... If have to find my kidneys now, thank you ...

Greetz to y'all,
Fille (aka Vision)
--- Nunc est bibendum ---
christophe
Overbomber

Brussels went crazy!

The crowd was fantastic, singing along from the first minute until way after the band had left the stage. :lol:
I had stood somewhere between Von and Chris, I didn’t see Ben until he appeared in front of me during Top Nite out because of all the smoke.
Its always nice to find a my heartland t-shirt in the mids of all the chaos of the mush pit, nice to meet you 13vision13 I was glad I didn’t stand where you stood. (I’m not 16 either :wink: )
I had to let everything sink for a night to set it strait but this was the best time I have seen them so far.
Obviously a big :notworthy: to everyone who was there!
fddkbe
Road Kill

The gig was packed, so we were standing near the back (with a cold beer). Sisters started arround 9, the sound seamed to be too low as where we stood you could just talk to eachother with Eldritch on the background. Total time, inclusive 'encores' around only 1hr and 20 minites. Crowd was 'really' singing along with Alice, Dominion, This Corrosion, TOL and Anaconda. It's a pity that the setlist was set up in a way that when the audience got really into it Romeo Down or Slept was played and the whole room cooled down. If my beer loaded memory serves me well, no songs from FLAA, unfortunately no 'I was wrong' ... Overall the gig can be labelled as 'nice' but if I have to look at it from a 'non-die-hard-Sisters-adept' you must admit it was missing that cutting edge, that little bit 'More'.
randdebiel²

fddkbe wrote:The gig was packed, so we were standing near the back (with a cold beer). Sisters started arround 9, the sound seamed to be too low as where we stood you could just talk to eachother with Eldritch on the background. Total time, inclusive 'encores' around only 1hr and 20 minites. Crowd was 'really' singing along with Alice, Dominion, This Corrosion, TOL and Anaconda. It's a pity that the setlist was set up in a way that when the audience got really into it Romeo Down or Slept was played and the whole room cooled down. If my beer loaded memory serves me well, no songs from FLAA, unfortunately no 'I was wrong' ... Overall the gig can be labelled as 'nice' but if I have to look at it from a 'non-die-hard-Sisters-adept' you must admit it was missing that cutting edge, that little bit 'More'.
ah, but if you had been standing where we were you would have been thankful for those romeo down and slept moments ;D those were the only times e could breathe :lol:

btw some of the really hard singing people were beyond irritating, really making the point of showing they knew the unrealeased songs by heart by singing everything out of tune, and not at right times....what made it even more patheric is that when slept was played they kept quiet obviously because the little fuckers didn't know the song :innocent:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

randdebiel² wrote:btw some of the really hard singing people were beyond irritating, really making the point of showing they knew the unrealeased songs by heart by singing everything out of tune, and not at right times....what made it even more patheric is that when slept was played they kept quiet obviously because the little fuckers didn't know the song :innocent:
Indeed :lol: Ah, well, I didn't care, was a fine masquerade for my terrible singing along :innocent:

Did anyone else notice :von: laughed out loud for a moment during Lucretia 'Lucretia my -haha- reflection' :lol:

Another remark: Don't know in which song it was, but in one of the new songs I must admit the guitarists lacked the real hard sound Adam had. About the only moment I really was thinking 'hmm', but then it still was great ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
randdebiel²

Obviousman wrote:
Indeed :lol: Ah, well, I didn't care, was a fine masquerade for my terrible singing along :innocent:

Did anyone else notice :von: laughed out loud for a moment during Lucretia 'Lucretia my -haha- reflection' :lol:

Another remark: Don't know in which song it was, but in one of the new songs I must admit the guitarists lacked the real hard sound Adam had. About the only moment I really was thinking 'hmm', but then it still was great ;D
yes, that was during romeo down I think...
but still, I think this pair is by far better than any adam configuration....

what I was shocked by was that :von: seemed to have quit smoking? which actually was a big help, because I quit myself at the start of the year, and I thought I could never stand a whole sisters gig without a cigarette....I never ever wanted one. during the gig thanks to him :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

randdebiel² wrote:what I was shocked by was that :von: seemed to have quit smoking? which actually was a big help, because I quit myself at the start of the year, and I thought I could never stand a whole sisters gig without a cigarette....I never ever wanted one. during the gig thanks to him :notworthy:
Thank the smoke machines, because he has been smoking, not too much in sight of the audience(/security!) though as AB seems to be completely smoke-free. Several times between songs/at the beginning of songs he turned his back on the audience, and those were the times he was having a smoke, though after a while he did smoke on stage :lol:

Another remark: He wore a new jacket :D A white leather motor jacket, not bad!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

randdebiel² wrote:btw some of the really hard singing people were beyond irritating, really making the point of showing they knew the unrealeased songs by heart
i've read this before but it's hard to imagine happening :/ Where i was everyone was screaming their lungs out (though not out of tune or incorrectly, people seemed to know when to sing) and it's simply not reasonable to assume anyone would've been paying attention to anyone else's singing, so trying to impress those around would've been impossible. Of course i don't know what went on a few rows back, but still...i just can't imagine people going to gigs to show off :) Wasting the moment, i'd say.. plenty of times to impress the girls later if need be.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
randdebiel²

itnAklipse wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:btw some of the really hard singing people were beyond irritating, really making the point of showing they knew the unrealeased songs by heart
i've read this before but it's hard to imagine happening :/ Where i was everyone was screaming their lungs out (though not out of tune or incorrectly, people seemed to know when to sing) and it's simply not reasonable to assume anyone would've been paying attention to anyone else's singing, so trying to impress those around would've been impossible. Of course i don't know what went on a few rows back, but still...i just can't imagine people going to gigs to show off :) Wasting the moment, i'd say.. plenty of times to impress the girls later if need be.
some people were actually turning their back to the stage for most of the gig...says enough no?
I indeed wonder why some of these people go to gigs anyway...you can do those things on a party too, no? don't need to annoy everyone else at a gig...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

randdebiel² wrote:some people were actually turning their back to the stage for most of the gig...says enough no?
:eek: :lol: Ok.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

fddkbe wrote:The gig was packed, so we were standing near the back (with a cold beer). Sisters started arround 9, the sound seamed to be too low as where we stood you could just talk to eachother with Eldritch on the background. Total time, inclusive 'encores' around only 1hr and 20 minites. Crowd was 'really' singing along with Alice, Dominion, This Corrosion, TOL and Anaconda. It's a pity that the setlist was set up in a way that when the audience got really into it Romeo Down or Slept was played and the whole room cooled down. If my beer loaded memory serves me well, no songs from FLAA, unfortunately no 'I was wrong' ... Overall the gig can be labelled as 'nice' but if I have to look at it from a 'non-die-hard-Sisters-adept' you must admit it was missing that cutting edge, that little bit 'More'.
My thoughts exactly... :?

I founf the gig a bit too tame for a 25th Birthday, and for me, it clearly showed Andrew isn't made for these big tours anymore. I think he immediately fell asleep in the backstage afterwards.

The whole time he was mumbling, only one or two screams during Alice. Also, the reason why the screaming was so loud, was, because the sound volume was low, as FDDKBE said. And the rest of the gig was a bit better, but not loud. Of course, the songs were not played with fury and fire, either. This Corrosion was even calmer than the Lambchop version, and Alice sounded like I put on the Under The Gun CD single.
Von's voice better without the screaming? Maybe. But also less interesting. It shows then that listening to him for an hour and 20 minutes reveals he's mumbling to himself on stage all the time :( And NO 'BURN'! One of the song I was waiting for! :evil:

Guitarists did their best, especially Chris Catalyst jumping up and down. I even thought I saw Ben Cristo for a second, but am not so sure ;) Anyway, they failed to save the gig all by themselves, IMO...

So, it was not a bad gig, but certainly not a good one. Lokerse Feesten was a lot better IMO. I have a certain feeling I only like the Sissies on Open Air do's... :|

Pity... But I bought the ugly tee anyway ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Oh, and can someone give the playlist again? I lost mine in my oh-so-modern cellphone, probably in a beer-laden moment at the afterparty ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
dave-kompas
Road Kill

Setlist? Here you are:

Crash and burn
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep / Detonation boulevard
When you don't see me
Flood 1
We are the same Susanne
Giving ground
Summer
Dominion / Mother Russia
Slept
Alice
Anaconda
Romeo down
Neverland
This corrosion
Something fast
Lucretia, my reflection
Top nite out
Temple of love

An mp3 version of Temple of love can be found on my site www.sacrilege.be

Enjoy!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Thanks dave :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
christophe
Overbomber

thanks dave-kompas :notworthy:
robertzombie
Overbomber

:D :notworthy: nice one
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Couple of piccies ;D

Speedy Dave's 150th gig-cake

:von: in his new jacket

<edit - had posted more, but those were bigger than these for some reason or another>

More here
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr