06 May - UEA - Norwich

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:your punctuation is still shocking wbb
I bloody know,I really should have took more notice at school.Still I'm sure you get the jist of what I'm on about.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
James Blast
Banned

The Sisters Live - Amarillo 2006
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
aims
Overbomber

Y'what, Blast? :lol:
adrenachrome
Road Kill

Great show, just a little quiet maybe!

Here is a few pictures from the night http://jbge.itgo.com/slide_show.html
The way is clear
The road is closed
The damage done
Donald
Road Kill

Nice pics!

Excellent show. I was expecting it to be quiet after London so the sound did not cause me a problem. I had a much better view too. They must have decided on the optimum set as that was identical to London. AE's voice is clearly shot though.

What mainly made it better than London was I didn't have some bloke standing in front of me who looked like his dog had just died constantly whining to his mate about how crap it all was.
Donald
Road Kill

Oh, I meant to say. I did miss the big white coat :D
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Great pix!
we've got beer and we've got fuel
SomeKindOfStranger

Well I thought it was a great gig!

After the varied reports that i have read from the tour so far (especially London) I must admit I was a little aprehensive - but once Crash and Burn was in full swing it was clear this wasnt one of 'those' gigs.

Yes there was smoke - but I remember the last gig at the forum on the smoke and mirrors tour was much worse so no complaints there!

I particularly liked the new edge given to some of the oldies - Dr Jeep in particular (but I think the time has come to lose Detonation Blvd...).

The crowd did seem a bit quiet though and apart from the diehards at the front (and 1 or 2 exceptions) not too keen to dance - or even nod heads & tap feet!.

I overheard many conversations complaining about playing too many songs that no-one knows. I know this argument has been seen many times before, so i wont stretch it out again here, but surely the whole point of band is to progress.
Whats going to happen if the Sisters ever do release a new album - will these people not buy it because its full of songs they dont know????

Tsk! Why cant people be somewhat more open minded - a band plays songs you dont know? Try LISTENING to them then and appreciate the chance to hear something new.

I also overheard a guy 'educating' his lady friend at the bar by telling her how the whole gig was pre-recorded and AE was just singing over the backing tapes. I think I'll stay well away from that one for now.....

Overall I thouroughly enjoyed the gig. Not so keen on the venue - for the capacity it has, once you were off of the main floor, you struggled to find a decent vantage point unless you stood right at the top of the stairs - not so much of a problem for me, but my 5ft wife had numerous problems!

Didnt meet an HLers (guess my photo put them off!) - but then without making any definite plans I guess thats no surprise (how I missed someone walking around in a HL shirt though, I'll never know!).
Ah well, theres always next time!
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Putting aside any sound problems at some of the gigs I feel that if you go to a Sisters show and can't enjoy being just feet away from Von while he's singing classic tracks like This Corrosion, Dominion, Temple Of Love etc etc then you can't really be much of a fan anyway?

Some people might moan at my last comment and I'm not a hardcore Sisters fan like most of you on here, I became a Sisters fan at pretty much the wrong time - 1992 so I'm still waiting for the thrill of going to a shop on release day and buying a brand new Sisters album. :urff:

Anyway......

How anyone can complain about the Norwich gig beggars belief, the sound was spot on, The Ivories rocked, there was the right amount of smoke, the set list was pretty good IMO - it was great to hear non-album tracks like Suzanne.
As for showmanship well Von is knocking on a bit now and nobody expected it to be like a Take That gig with lots of dancing - did they? :wink:
John
Road Kill

Hi all

I stumbled across this site looking for reviews of the UEA gig and thought I'd add my two cents.

Whilst I've got all the albums, I'm not that heavily into SoM; I hadn't seen them before and only went along because the gig was up the road from me.

I find some of the complaints on here baffling. As I say, I hadn't seen them, but had a fair idea of what to expect: A 'gang of merry metalheads' looming out of clouds of smoke playing fairly thrashy material. It seemed to me that was exactly what we got delivered in a very professional manner. I've got no idea what Moreau is going on about. The gig was anything but flat and to say that Eldritch knows little of stagecraft is plainly ridiculous; the others looked great as well. If you think you're going to get a Marilyn Manson style stageshow in a venue that size even at £20 a ticket, you're sadly deluded. Personally, I was surprised by how well the whole smoke and lights thing worked.

I only have two complaints:
1. Whilst the sound was generally very good, Eldritch was far too low during the first couple of numbers. The engineer sorted this out, but he should have done so already. When various members of the crew were testing the main mike before SoM came on, it was clearly inaudible at the desk (I was standing next to it).
2. I thought the audience was rather flat. I expected a sea of rabid fanatics hurling themselves all over the place, most people barely had the energy to tap their feet. Still, I danced all night and came out soaked, so it didn't really detract from my enjoyment.

Generally, I thought it was a bloody good gig which exceeded my expectations.

As a second opinion: I dragged my wife along kicking and screaming, but she was dancing by the second half of the set. Her verdict? "It was pretty good actually, but rather the same the whole way through".
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Thanks John, nice to read such comments from non-die hard fans! You're renewing my faith on mankind...
adrenachrome
Road Kill

Talking & listening to several people before the show started, I was surprised at the numbers of people expecting to hear a trip down memory lane of the old classics (Marian, Floorshow, FALAA, etc).

I think the Norwich audience may have been suffering from not hosting a SOM concert since 1984!

Living in Sheffield, I have been fortunate enough to see them nearly every year in Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester.

Tracks like Summer, Suzanne, Crash & Burn are now familar fair at the gigs.

It has been good this year to hear the re-workings of some tracks. I particualrly like the new feel to Lucretia and Top Nite Out is an absolute stormer!
The way is clear
The road is closed
The damage done
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Righty - I've put off asking this question as I didn't want to sound like a newbie but here goes anyway: :oops:

About three quarters of the way through the gig they played a song which I'm sure I recognised but after looking at the set list from other gigs I still haven't been able to track down what the song actually is. :|

Like I said it was about three quarters of the way into the show and the lyrics of the chorus sounded like "she will......." and then a lot of the crowd started raising their hands in the air everytime the "she will....." bit was sung.

I'm not even sure if "she will" are the right lyrics but that's what it sounded like to me. Come on then folks, put me out of my mysery. ;D
Andie
Overbomber

sounds like Anaconda :notworthy: IIRC
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Anaconda?
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Burn wrote:sounds like Anaconda :notworthy: IIRC
I played that and I'm pretty sure that wasn't it or do they perform a reworked version? I'll give it another listen.......
Andie
Overbomber

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
I played that and I'm pretty sure that wasn't it or do they perform a reworked version? I'll give it another listen.......
it's a lil reworked from the original single...as are most things now in the current set :notworthy:
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Burn wrote:
Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
it's a lil reworked from the original single...as are most things now in the current set :notworthy:
That must be why I wasn't too sure. Anaconda isn't one of my favourites from SGWBM which is why I'm not overly familiar with it.
Just listened to it again and yes I think it is the track I was looking for as everything else seems to be how I remember it from Saturday nights gig minus the "she will......." part of the chorus <-- that is really hard to describe in words but I'm sure you all know the part I mean. :lol:

I'll now have a scout around the forum to see if I can find a new live version or if anybody can point me in the right direction I'll be ever so grateful. 8)
SomeKindOfStranger

'twas definitley Anaconda - just reworked and rocked up. nice :D
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

SomeKindOfStranger wrote:'twas definitley Anaconda - just reworked and rocked up. nice :D
It certainly was a good track, one of my favourites of the evening in fact. 8)
SomeKindOfStranger

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
I'll now have a scout around the forum to see if I can find a new live version or if anybody can point me in the right direction I'll be ever so grateful. 8)
For a short time only, this is a fairly decent version:

CLICKY!

Should play if you left- click it, or right click and 'save target as' to download.
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

SomeKindOfStranger wrote:
Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
For a short time only, this is a fairly decent version:

CLICKY!

Should play if you left- click it, or right click and 'save target as' to download.
THAT'S THE BABY!!!!! Cheers for that. :notworthy:

This'll be on loop for a long time tonight. 8)
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Pics!

Also great to see Jo, Lee and Andie again :notworthy:
Andie
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Also great to see Jo, Lee and Andie again :notworthy:
good to see you too Libby :notworthy: :notworthy:

excellent pics...thanx
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Great pics, especially this one: :lol:

You captured me beautifully. :notworthy: ;D