May 2 - London Astoria

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

John, the smoke wasn't the issue in Leeds. As you well know, I couldn't care less how little I can see, smoke is good, dry ice is our friend, the prob on Wednesday was definitely the volume, and the apparent correlation between low volume and inaudible vocals.

Now I've seen this lot many times (WAY less than many, but hey), I know how they sound when they sound exceptional, I know how they sound when they sound average, unfortunately I also now know how they sound when they sound s**t.

The general Sisteryness otherwise was all there, smoke, lights, boingy pit. No problem.

This is really bugging me. Were they really as flat as they seemed? Must've been, the state I was in I'd've been dancing to the rugby league results on tv, let alone the Sisters. But it was bad. Trust me.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

Ja, ja Ravey and sound was my next point. How can they go from Paris (big venue) sounding so perfect to sounding so shit? Do they suit the big venues or is Andy's voice just fucked? Ten gigs every two years ... or 50 in two months? And Ben and Chris have to dumb down the volume because what Andy says, Andy gets. :roll:

PS: Loved the my mate Ethan comment on the Leeds thread. :kiss:
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
ruffers
Overbomber

Johnny M wrote:.... is Andy's voice just fucked? ... or 50 in two months?
Effect.........cause.

Simple as that I think, unfortunately.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Jebus.. just read the fricking Grauniad review...

"Tonight's ultra-rare show has dragged the bat people from their belfries "

I take great offence at that.. bat person? Pfft..!!

Looks like some hack still thinks the Sisters are the same band they were in 1983.. and as for having more songs like Alice.. wtf??

What about the two albums since?!?! (OK, I am one of those types that probably prefers the albums in the order of VT, Floodland then FALAA... so I'm biased..)

Gah! Where did I leave that stake.. someone deserves an impaling for this... :lol:
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
canon docre
Overbomber

during change over after The Ivories my friend sighed: "Gee, we're waiting for so long already and they didnt even mount the drum kit yet."

well you cant always choose your company. :innocent:

To her defense I must add, that she's much more handy in everything The Cure concerned. She even spotted Simon Gallup in the Astoria After Show crowd.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:
jande wrote:I see that a dvd of this gig has just been listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-SISTERS-OF-ME ... dZViewItem
Has anybody bought one of these DVD's yet? I'd be quite interested in getting one even though I went to the Norwich gig and not the London one......

Just wondering if it was filmed on a crappy phone or something. :|

edit: OK I've bitten the bullet and purchased one. I'll let you know whether it's any good when it arrives. 8)

Looking at the sellers other items, they seem to have an excellent track record in smuggling the camera into various London gigs.
Give me one good reason
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Yeah I was looking at his other stuff and from the pictures it looks like pretty good quality which makes me wonder if it's an inside job but who knows? :wink:

The DVD should be here in a couple of days so we'll know soon enough. 8)
Rise&Reverberate
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I finally got an email reply from the seller about the audio quality on the DVD and they said that it was very good so I guess you can always rip some mp3's from it :) I'm just waiting on a copy of the Placebo gig to arrive from the same seller.
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Rise&Reverberate wrote:I finally got an email reply from the seller about the audio quality on the DVD and they said that it was very good so I guess you can always rip some mp3's from it :)
I'm sure the DVD will be doing the rounds on here soon one way or another. :wink: :innocent:
ruffers
Overbomber

Rise&Reverberate wrote:I finally got an email reply from the seller about the audio quality on the DVD and they said that it was very good so I guess you can always rip some mp3's from it :) I'm just waiting on a copy of the Placebo gig to arrive from the same seller.
A very good reproduction of an inaudible gig then :lol:
Andie
Overbomber

ruffers wrote:
Rise&Reverberate wrote:I finally got an email reply from the seller about the audio quality on the DVD and they said that it was very good so I guess you can always rip some mp3's from it :) I'm just waiting on a copy of the Placebo gig to arrive from the same seller.
A very good reproduction of an inaudible gig then :lol:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

turn it up!
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
MAtT
Road Kill

Neither myself or my girlfriend had seen the Sisters live since Wembley 1990, so we were both really looking forward to this one, and were hugely disappointed.

We were standing about halfway back at ground level, centre stage. The dry ice was thick as expected, but I certainly didn't really care about that - I came to hear them, not admire Andrew's fur coat.

But the sound was awful. I go to quite a lot of gigs, but I've not heard sound as bad as that anywhere bar amateur nights in pubs... and even then only once or twice.

To me it sounded like they simply didn't have the ability - with the equipment they had - to fill the place with sound. A smaller venue maybe, but not the high-topped Astoria. Additionally the levels were messed up. I can accept that Von keeps the vocals ridiculously low these days, but when on a song like Suzanne - where in parts there's basically just the drum machine, a bassline, and a lead guitar part - you can't hear the lead guitar, then you know something is seriously f***d somewhere.

Anyway, as you all know, the crowd started chanting and gesticulating for the levels to be upped, and for a while things seemed to improve - around the time of Dominion I'd just call it a bit poor, rather than awful.... you still shouldn't be able to hear the crowd singing above the band playing in a venue that size.

So as I was saying, for a short period the sound was higher in volume, but by the time Romeo Down was played, it sounded to me like the bass speaker, or something driving it had simply blown... I have experience with bass speakers going, and that dreadful flapping noise sounded just like it.

Shortly after we both left, and didn't bother going to the Nottingham gig we had tickets for - because being so far away it simply wasn't worth the risk.

I'm not usually a moaner, and I don't hold grudges - I still love the Sisters and they'll always be one of my favourite bands of all time... but I have to be honest and tell it like it was!

Matt
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

aye, i must admit i thought pretty much the same from the astoria :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I wasn't in the best spot to judge in the Astoria (up at the edge of the balcony over the right, peaking over shoulders (but closer to the bar)) but the sound was lousy most of the show. The Doktor blew everything away one minute, then you couldn't hear Ben at all for some bits, Eldritch was very, very low as in inaudible, then my personal favorite, Chris' booming vocals blowing nearly everything else away, especially during Temple of Love.

What can you do? Good to be there, but the following few shows were much better, I think. Amazing smoke in London, though...when we walked in, it was wafting around the bar and near the restrooms.

More to write...trying to face the fact that I'm back at work...a bit warped from travel...and wanting to not be here...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

There's no ambiguity in the consensus : the Astoria was s**t comapred to what The Sisters as a whole, and this lineup are capable of. Rock City and the ABC were miles better.
ruffers
Overbomber

Some recognition of this wouldn't go amiss, even if we don't get the Barcelona style replay.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote:Some recognition of this wouldn't go amiss, even if we don't get the Barcelona style replay.
When I spoke to Ben and Chris after Notts they both agreed that the Astoria gig was the weakest of the UK dates up to that point.
The Scene won't save you...
canon docre
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:
ruffers wrote:Some recognition of this wouldn't go amiss, even if we don't get the Barcelona style replay.
When I spoke to Ben and Chris after Notts they both agreed that the Astoria gig was the weakest of the UK dates up to that point.
well then thank you so much guys.... :|
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
ruffers
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:
Scardwel wrote:
well then thank you so much guys.... :|
That does indeed make it all OK then.... :roll:
richmagpies
Road Kill

Amazing who you can bump into on the way to work...morning (again) Ruffers! :eek: ..at least you weren't causing a fire hazard this time! :lol:
Mickpit
Road Kill

Scardwel wrote:
"up to that point"??????????? Expecting a few more bad un's boys?
I'm not young enough to know everything
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

C'mon it ain't their fault! :roll:
Ben and Chris are what's holding this band together at the moment IMHO. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have bothered going to see this line-up again after Vegas.
London was crap for alot of reasons, but the band weren't to blame IMHO.
The Scene won't save you...
pikkrong
Overbomber

Some bad pics (my Manchester ones are a bit better, you know where to find them from):

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/ ... ia%202006/
do i drive
or am i driven
Gimme_The_Ring
Amphetamine Filth

Gimme_The_Ring wrote:Yeah I was looking at his other stuff and from the pictures it looks like pretty good quality which makes me wonder if it's an inside job but who knows? :wink:

The DVD should be here in a couple of days so we'll know soon enough. 8)
Got my DVD today and just watched the first few minutes - can't watch it all yet as I'm busy painting the fence in my back garden.

Anyway.....

So far so good, really good picture so it wasn't done on some cheapo camera and the sound is very good too. Obviously you can't see an awful lot due to the smoke but the camera seems to be mounted on a tripod just right of the centre - all close ups are done just by zooming in & out but at least the picture isn't bouncing around all over the place. There's no menu screen, you insert the disc and it starts about 30 seconds before the guys walk on stage.
Mickpit
Road Kill

Sh*t....I'm going to Brusells on the next tour. All reviews / sound levels were top-nothch and by all accounts the last time they played there it was one of the best too. + FALAA + BURN

Ghostrider's posted the set list (with times!)

intro 0.00
crash and burn 1.12
ribbons 5.28
will i dream 8.40
Flood I 12.34
Burn 17.15
Suzanne 19.16
Giving Ground 23.38
("stop doing that, it's really anoying") (TGGI?)
Summer 27.56
Dominion 31.20
Slept 37.09
Still 40.35
Alice 43.15
Anaconda 46.41
Neverland 49.31
I was Wrong 53.05
FALAA 55.53

59.42 < Break > 62.39

Something Fast 62.39
Lucreatia 65.26