NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
iesus
Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 21 May 2022, 11:24
iesus wrote:
FinnMacCool wrote: 21 May 2022, 09:46 recording albums is part of a band's job
It seems that it's not. At least not the main task for a band.
If you look back, there's a lovely AE quote from around the time of the Sisterhood split and settlement, and I'm paraphrasing, "Real bands work in studios"
that was back in 85-86 era, i am not quite sure if he said so, b) even he said so that doesn't make him right, c) not sure if in 2022 someone asks him he will agree with that or not.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
czuczu
Overbomber

He def said it. Of course he wouldn't agree now but he did say it.

I don't think I've ever seen an interviewer ask him if he's happy for all this unrecorded stuff, almost half of his output now, to just get lost to time because he won't record it. He's rarely challenged about it properly and let off the hook with half-arsed soundbites.
mh
Above the Chemist

Definitely remember that he said it, it was something along the line of "real bands release records" and was during the Sisterhood fued.

It's important to take it in that context. It's not necessarily his actual opinion, more of a jab at Wayne and Craig, and anyway subsequent events have shown that Von is perfectly happy for his real band to not release records.

I'm not saying I agree, I'm not saying he's right, I'm just saying that is how it is, and it's his prerogative.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
czuczu
Overbomber

Shame tho, innit. I miss the high standards going with being a difficult sod. We never hear "there's a wrong way and a right way and the hard way is the right away" stuff any more either..
iesus
Overbomber

true dat @mh :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 21 May 2022, 12:31 I don't think I've ever seen an interviewer ask him if he's happy for all this unrecorded stuff, almost half of his output now, to just get lost to time because he won't record it. He's rarely challenged about it properly and let off the hook with half-arsed soundbites.
I have also thought about this when reading interviews, but then, pre-2019 there was never that much material (that we know of) to record. Well, now there is.
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:46 Having finally had a chance to give them a proper listen, a lot of these new songs sound like sketches rather than fully developed.
While some of the new songs definitely do sound a little unfinished (Better Reptile in particular), I'm not sure I agree — the great majority of Sisters songs have always been very simple in terms of structure; Lucretia My Reflection, Neverland, Train, Alice, Marianne... the list goes on.

I don't see simplicity as a problem, but the impression is different when you have a polished, multi-layered and more nuanced studio version to compare with. Now all we have are live renditions, and that makes the simplicity stand out more.

I do think most of the new songs are fantastic though, real earworms almost all of them.

They would make a great series of three-song 12" singles. Less drama, lower profile and less expectations than an album. We just need to get the bastard to do it. Profit is guaranteed with the hardcore fan base buying up any ltd edition he puts out, even as subscriptions = prepaid production. Rejuvenation of the fan base as well. All he needs to do is commit to spend a month or two recording them, final production, graphics, promotion, etc.

Ye Gods I hope he'll do it.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Yggdrasil wrote: 23 May 2022, 02:54
czuczu wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:46 Having finally had a chance to give them a proper listen, a lot of these new songs sound like sketches rather than fully developed.
While some of the new songs definitely do sound a little unfinished (Better Reptile in particular), I'm not sure I agree — the great majority of Sisters songs have always been very simple in terms of structure; Lucretia My Reflection, Neverland, Train, Alice, Marianne... the list goes on.

I don't see simplicity as a problem, but the impression is different when you have a polished, multi-layered and more nuanced studio version to compare with. Now all we have are live renditions, and that makes the simplicity stand out more.

I do think most of the new songs are fantastic though, real earworms almost all of them.

They would make a great series of three-song 12" singles. Less drama, lower profile and less expectations than an album. We just need to get the bastard to do it. Profit is guaranteed with the hardcore fan base buying up any ltd edition he puts out, even as subscriptions = prepaid production. Rejuvenation of the fan base as well. All he needs to do is commit to spend a month or two recording them, final production, graphics, promotion, etc.

I very certainly agree.

So, you stubborn rut - REVIVE Merciful Release! ;D ;D :kiss: :von:
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

iesus wrote: 21 May 2022, 10:49
FinnMacCool wrote: 21 May 2022, 09:46 recording albums is part of a band's job
It seems that it's not. At least not the main task for a band.
There's room for a lot of debate here :)
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

Icon wrote: 23 May 2022, 08:35
Yggdrasil wrote: 23 May 2022, 02:54

I very certainly agree.

So, you stubborn rut - REVIVE Merciful Release! ;D ;D :kiss: :von:
Hard agreement from me too :bat:
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Is there an argument in favour of some kind of Misery/Stephen King type approach to this problem? A van, some chloroform, a cabin in the woods somewhere equipped with a recording studio and hey presto, bobs your uncle.

Yes, you'd go to jail, but at least you'd have some decent tunes to pass the time with.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:01 Is there an argument in favour of some kind of Misery/Stephen King type approach to this problem?
:lol: :notworthy:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Icon wrote: 23 May 2022, 08:35 - REVIVE Merciful Release! ;D ;D :kiss: :von:
Oh well, that would be a dream come true ... * sigh ...
mh
Above the Chemist

Todashi wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:01 Is there an argument in favour of some kind of Misery/Stephen King type approach to this problem? A van, some chloroform, a cabin in the woods somewhere equipped with a recording studio and hey presto, bobs your uncle.

Yes, you'd go to jail, but at least you'd have some decent tunes to pass the time with.
On the other hand you'd have to put up with just yourself and Von living together in a cabin for an extended period of time, which, unsubstantiated rumour has it, is an interesting experience.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

mh wrote: 23 May 2022, 15:50
Todashi wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:01 Is there an argument in favour of some kind of Misery/Stephen King type approach to this problem? A van, some chloroform, a cabin in the woods somewhere equipped with a recording studio and hey presto, bobs your uncle.

On the other hand you'd have to put up with just yourself and Von living together in a cabin for an extended period of time, which, unsubstantiated rumour has it, is an interesting experience.
Just keep around some smokes, some hentai dvds, some computer games and it'll be fine. :lol: :lol:
:von: Check out my Comic series: https://unhingedcomic.com/ :von:
mh
Above the Chemist

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 23 May 2022, 16:26
mh wrote: 23 May 2022, 15:50

Just keep around some smokes, some hentai dvds, some computer games and it'll be fine. :lol: :lol:
But then no work would be done.

Nope, I fear that whichever way you slice it, we're going to lose this one.
czuczu
Overbomber

Source the words/lyrics from existing audio interviews, cut and paste before transposing it all into A Major?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oops I've missed a whole page of comments on this thread but it still stands...

Again, he doesn't want to crowdfund a Sisters record. The reason he's stated for wanting a major deal is the promotional budget and experience. He wants a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.

* Temple Of Love 1992 had a full-page advert on the back cover of 2000AD Prog 780 for instance. Not that the ol' Tooth is doing anywhere near the sales as it was even in 1992, never mind the 80s, but that's a separate issue.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48 ... the promotional budget ... a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.
Also in music industry news this week: https://variety.com/2022/music/news/hal ... 235274753/

Can you imagine the conversation

$BigLabel A&R guy: We are very happy to have signed Sisters Of Mercy!
AE: It's The Sisters Of Mercy.
A&R: Now let's discuss promoting your new single, She's The Monster.
AE: A Monster, but yes. Ok. Here's my approved list of industry media outlets in which I want advertising. And here's my priority list of playlists and other locations for you to arrange airplay. I will be available for a dozen or so telephone press interviews and two TV or streamed appearances, subject to me vetting the press involved first.
A&R: I am sorry but we can't release your single until you create a viral moment about it on Tiktok!
AE: ... what?
A&R: I know you're a bit old and bald for TikTok, so maybe get one of those muscular young guitarists in foreground. Anyway, that's all for now. Call me when you have say half a million views and we'll talk again!
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
czuczu
Overbomber

Will he still get the big cardboard window display in Our Price & Woolworths though?
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

alanm wrote: 25 May 2022, 13:57
markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48 ... the promotional budget ... a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.
Also in music industry news this week: https://variety.com/2022/music/news/hal ... 235274753/

AE: A Monster, but yes. Ok. Here's my approved list of industry media outlets in which I want advertising. And here's my priority list of playlists and other locations for you to arrange airplay. I will be available for a dozen or so telephone press interviews and two TV or streamed appearances, subject to me vetting the press involved first.
A&R: I am sorry but we can't release your single until you create a viral moment about it on Tiktok!
A&R: I know you're a bit old and bald for TikTok, so maybe get one of those muscular young guitarists in foreground. Anyway, that's all for now. Call me when you have say half a million views and we'll talk again!
:lol:
iesus
Overbomber

FinnMacCool wrote: 25 May 2022, 17:12

:lol:
That's brilliant pic for Monty Python sketch :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
rivum
Road Kill

it sounds funny, but that's exactly what happened to an artist called Halsey recently....
https://variety.com/2022/music/news/hal ... 235274753/
iesus
Overbomber

rivum wrote: 25 May 2022, 21:48
it sounds funny, but that's exactly what happened to an artist called Halsey recently....
https://variety.com/2022/music/news/hal ... 235274753/
wtf! :eek: :eek: :eek:
i dont even know her name and she has 632,414,211 viewsPremiered Oct 29, 2018 :roll: :lol: :lol:

:bat: :bat: ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
FinnMacCool
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:48 Oops I've missed a whole page of comments on this thread but it still stands...

Again, he doesn't want to crowdfund a Sisters record. The reason he's stated for wanting a major deal is the promotional budget and experience. He wants a label that will do things like put adverts in the press*, push any singles so they get on radio playlists, push for TV appearances, etc. The fact is though that the majors don't do any of that stuff with anyone other than the major chart stars any more.

* Temple Of Love 1992 had a full-page advert on the back cover of 2000AD Prog 780 for instance. Not that the ol' Tooth is doing anywhere near the sales as it was even in 1992, never mind the 80s, but that's a separate issue.
In other words, it's still 1996 in Von's world