"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Petseri wrote:
Motz wrote:Hence "similar" ;)

However, it seems about as legal as "The Singer's Turn" (which Quiffy was fine with) so I don't envisage it bringing more legal bugbears with it than that, provided that it's not distributed on hard media / for profit.
In case anyone needs a link to this reference, just go to this thread. Too bad it never got completed. :(

As for legality, recording should not be a problem. You do not need permission to record a cover, although asking does not hurt. Selling it could be touchy because of the matter of royalties.
Just had a proper look at this thread for the first time as it seems to have been resurrected and didn't wade through it all, so apologies if someone has already covered this.

Not trying to dissuade anyone, as I've done covers myself and as long as no money's being made I think it's a nice idea. Might even have a bash at one myself if it gathers momentum again and I ever get organised. BUT, purely as a point of information, it's worth pointing out that actually you do need permission to record a cover - or any version - of a song, as the writer owns all rights to it. There are specific copyright clauses dealing with recording rights and if anyone did decide to get legal (which doesn't seem to have happened so far), you'd be in breach of them. I suppose it's roughly on a par with bootlegging, so if everyone's fine with it and no money's changing hands then things should be okay, but everyone should know where they stand.

Hope that clarifies things a little.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

That's why this should be done to promote The Sisters and we should distribute these songs for FREE. Hopefully my recordings I uploaded will not be sold, unless it's Adam Pearson or Andrew Eldritch themselves who want to sell them. Which is very unlikely. Has anyone listened to them? I'd like some feedback.
"... because we're that kind of people."
mh
Above the Chemist

Just listening now. I like the funky bassline through Crash & Burn - that was unexpected, and it works quite well with it.

I don't like the song Will I Dream, so I'm better off keeping stumm on that one.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
FMAMMY
Road Kill

which songs are left to be recorded right now?
eotunun
Overbomber

@ Prescott: Wow! Sir, that's good work!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
There is shadow under this red rock
Brad

Glad everyone has generally enjoyed my labour on Crash & Burn and Will I Dream (Yes, those are my instrumentals that seem to be making the rounds on the karoake scene:)

Certainly appreciate anyone adding vocals to them since that is certainly not my forte.
Prescott

@Methedrome:Thank you for the files of the instrumentals, I did mention if you read that I used someone else's music and merely added vocals, but the only name I saw attached to the files was that of jcrapture. Hopefully no offense taken.

@eotunun: if you mean the vocals I added thank you!

Still waiting for the War On Drugs music to come my way.
Brad

No offense taken.

Glad people are still working on this project.

And I know the irony is not lost on everyone that we have all become "Eldritch" in our work ethic on getting this thing done!
James Blast
Banned

or just lazy bastards
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Prescott

speaking of, how about war on drugs?
Brad

On behalf of myself, I would vote lazy bastard :)
Hapcibeno
Road Kill

Can anybody reshare Suzanne and Come Together please?
I had a hard drive crash and lost them... :evil:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Has this curled up and died?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
mcalldp
Road Kill

I hope this hasn't died. It seems we have enough done to at least make a "Version I" of this if someone can just get the artwork done and let's host it somewhere that we can order the CD from. I'm a little worried that my version of Summer has been well outdone by others and would like to have my voice on lend to anyone that's making a strong musical section and needs a bit of singing, just message me.
Prescott

Well it seems that it has, once again thanks to Methedrome for recording the music I used to sing the vocals over for Crash and Burn and Will I Dream? Go ahead and use that too if you are going to compile it into something.

Obviously it's the only copy of studio produced 'new' Sisters material that will ever see the light of day. Coz he just don't give a s**t, does he?
robertzombie
Overbomber

If anyone needs a Von impersonator I'm happy to mumble over any instrumentals :lol:
mcalldp
Road Kill

Same, happy to help on vocals. Can't we take what we've got, call it volume one- get the artwork done and throw this first version up for download?? I'm worried that Von may get one out before us at this rate!

Then we can start workin on volume 2 with additional and improved recordings etc...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hmmm, where are we up to with all this?

is there a decent collection of stuff compiled yet?

i've stumbled across a piece of kit called opentape, not unlike the rather groovy http://muxtape.com/ (rip!) that allows you to put all your mp3s in one place and then listen to them streamed over the web dead easily :)

if we've got something approaching a decent set of songs i would be happy to collate them and make them available via a heartland url in combination with the opentape software.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

I'll check the Blast Archiveâ„¢, I know I had them all stashed in one place at one time but, I had a bit of a 'binge and purge' of recent so it may take some time to round them all up.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

IIRC, Sir IZbert of FGGonia mastered the available songs, just don't remember if he did all of them. In order to keep myself occupied, I could supply a newly mixed and mastered version of my cover choon, either with or without the 'Neverland' prelude...
James Blast
Banned

with Never Land (ARF!ragment) enhancement, pls :D
Last edited by James Blast on 28 Aug 2008, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

Seconded!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Thes still reside in the IZ archive:

Heartland By TheGoodSon.mp3
Lefty_-_Slept.mp3
MCAllisterSummer.mp3
Slept - Lefty Drake and The Mellow Side Winos.wav
Slept - NoneSuch.mp3
Still_rough_demo.mp3 (by??)
Still_rough_demo.wma (by??)
Summer-ormdfmrush.wav
Tbilisi-89_-_Summer(ormdfmrush).mp3
The Mumbles - Come Together (mp3).mp3
The Mumbles - Come Together (wav).wav
Will_I_Dream_-_Brad_Salyn.mp3
Crash And Burn (Mumbles do).mp3
Crash And Burn (Syberberg do).wav
Snubnose (Mish do).wav
Summer (Ahrayeph do).wav

Similarly named files with different extension (MP3 and WAV) are just files I used for mastering versus web outing ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
robertzombie
Overbomber

I didn't realise you'd mastered our Come Together! Can I hear it? :lol:
James Blast
Banned

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:These still reside in the IZ archive...
I shall leave it in the capable hands of our man 'Marooned with Sam Devos'

see what I did there? :lol:
~ Peter Steele