Extreme Lyrics Fishing

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20549
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

:cry:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

I see your holiday hasn't done you any good
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
paul
Overbomber
Posts: 3207
Joined: 02 Apr 2002, 01:00

Tidal, please stop with this lyrics fishing thing... You're killing the mysticism of the songs! :?

Paul
User avatar
frederik
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 454
Joined: 18 Mar 2006, 14:37
Location: above the dentist

Tidal, you should think seriously about getting laid...
Dark
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 6606
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 21:26
Location: On the edge of the mind.
Contact:

paul wrote:Tidal, please stop with this lyrics fishing thing... You're killing the mysticism of the songs! :?

Paul
He is? Well then, I'm converted. Tidal, keep dissecting these songs.

The sooner I can start enjoying them again for just being good songs without being forced to remember that there "has to be" some deeper meaning (about which I really couldn't care less) within, the better.
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20549
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

Dark wrote:The sooner I can start enjoying them again for just being good songs without being forced to remember that there "has to be" some deeper meaning (about which I really couldn't care less) within, the better.
TBH I largely think that's the best attitude to have. 8)
advanced, forthright, signifficant
Dark
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 6606
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 21:26
Location: On the edge of the mind.
Contact:

Well, that's the main reason I stopped enjoying TSOM. Eldritch's attitude aside, it's the assurance that there has to be something more to the songs and that there's something wrong with me for either not seeing it or not caring. :|
User avatar
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 442
Joined: 06 Mar 2007, 11:50
Location: The Hollow Land

:?: I don't understand what you guys are :cry: / :? / :evil: / :| about.
If it's the quality of my "fish" of Slept then there's little to say but that Andy's voice quility on both versions I heard was extremely bad, near unhearable- so that's not something you can blame on me- I had to guess most of the words...
If it's the content of my interpretation- well, sorry if you're offended, but it's not me that's singing it, it's our man :von:!

If it's that mysticism- well, I'm not DOING anything to the song- I'm just trying to reveal the true text that is connected to the song, the true lyrics- that should only allow more wondering about what Andy could mean... Why would anyone want to hear a song and keep on wondering "what the hell is he singing, these lyrics sites are all shít so I can't find out!"?

About getting laid; everyone has his hobbies and interests. I got mine. This.

I'm doing nothing to the meaning of the lyrics! I'm only trying to show you all what the lyrics really are!


But, off to the present; I put my hands on Come Together, and had a good fish. Thanks to Robertzombie and his Mumbles I got a push in the back with the lyrics. I have to say Come Together was very, very much easier than Slept. Although still a little difficult, but not that much of a challenge. I only doubt if I have the last couplet right.

Come Together

"A little child and a cold Messiah
On a white-cold bliss that black Maria
Some wild idea and I head back home
Swing the gold sweet Jesus, come to carry me
Carry me home
Swing along
Carry me home

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home

Carrion angel
No-one can harm you now
Though your fins
Though your fins be scarlet

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home

A face in the parting cliffs, see the fall
Just you that ran
Seven of the years we spent in the hard way
Though your fins
Though your fins be scarlet

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home"

There are some uncertainties here, which are these;

-"cold Messiah" because it rhymes with Maria.

-"On a white-cold bliss that black Maria"
I thought it was "white-hot blister" at first, but then heard the "c" and "l"
in "cold", and the "a" in "that".

-"Swing the gold" could be "cold" aswell.

-"Carrion angel" not "Carry on angel", it's one word.

-"Clip seed of all"
This was the hardest. It sounds like "clipsee of ol.." but I don't know what
a "clip seed" is. But I could think of something more fitting. "Glyph sea"
maybe? (UPDATE: I just thought of "parting cliffs, see the fall"..?)

-"years we spent in the hard way"
Could be "years we spinning the highway" but that doesn't make sense.

All in all, a rather well- fishable song!


BTW Dark, I have that too- I have not a f*cking clue about what Eldritch means when he sings, even though some say they can interprete his lyrics for what they mean- but for now I think I will learn more about the Sisters in time and maybe then maybe be able to make something out of it... and I guess I also need a little more experience in life to understand :von:
Last edited by Tidal on 15 Aug 2007, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
It's good to be back
User avatar
Ozpat
From the Lowlands
Posts: 6759
Joined: 16 Aug 2005, 13:14
Location: In the place through which we wander.

Keep going Tidal. :lol: :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

More power to you, young man!

this a community here and we have plenty of room for good people

Don't take our (mine especially) asides as us being nasty, we aren't, it's just that some of us find it curious and or amusing your obsession with finding hidden meanings. Hell! I have a lot of passions I go on about that others just don't get it. Doesn't mean we're bad people.

Enjoy the hell outta yo'self, Get Pished, Destroy!

Unkle Jam~es :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 442
Joined: 06 Mar 2007, 11:50
Location: The Hollow Land

I am pleasantly surprised. ;D

(But why do people think I'm trying to find hidden meanings?? :| )
It's good to be back
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

Tidal wrote:But why do people think I'm trying to find hidden meanings?? :|
c'mon, that doesn't need an answer :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 203
Joined: 13 Sep 2003, 05:37
Location: Bangkok, TH
Contact:

Tidal wrote::?: I don't understand what you guys are :cry: / :? / :evil: / :| about.
If it's the quality of my "fish" of Slept then there's little to say but that Andy's voice quility on both versions I heard was extremely bad, near unhearable- so that's not something you can blame on me- I had to guess most of the words...
If it's the content of my interpretation- well, sorry if you're offended, but it's not me that's singing it, it's our man :von:!

If it's that mysticism- well, I'm not DOING anything to the song- I'm just trying to reveal the true text that is connected to the song, the true lyrics- that should only allow more wondering about what Andy could mean... Why would anyone want to hear a song and keep on wondering "what the hell is he singing, these lyrics sites are all shít so I can't find out!"?

About getting laid; everyone has his hobbies and interests. I got mine. This.

I'm doing nothing to the meaning of the lyrics! I'm only trying to show you all what the lyrics really are!


But, off to the present; I put my hands on Come Together, and had a good fish. Thanks to Robertzombie and his Mumbles I got a push in the back with the lyrics. I have to say Come Together was very, very much easier than Slept. Although still a little difficult, but not that much of a challenge. I only doubt if I have the last couplet right.

Come Together

"A little child and a cold Messiah
On a white-cold bliss that black Maria
Some wild idea and I head back home
Swing the gold sweet Jesus, come to carry me
Carry me home
Swing along
Carry me home

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home

Carrion angel
No-one can harm you now
Though your fins
Though your fins be scarlet

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home

A face in the parting cliffs, see the fall
Just you that ran
Seven of the years we spent in the hard way
Though your fins
Though your fins be scarlet

Come together
Hoooome
Come together
Home"

There are some uncertainties here, which are these;

-"cold Messiah" because it rhymes with Maria.

-"On a white-cold bliss that black Maria"
I thought it was "white-hot blister" at first, but then heard the "c" and "l"
in "cold", and the "a" in "that".

-"Swing the gold" could be "cold" aswell.

-"Carrion angel" not "Carry on angel", it's one word.

-"Clip seed of all"
This was the hardest. It sounds like "clipsee of ol.." but I don't know what
a "clip seed" is. But I could think of something more fitting. "Glyph sea"
maybe? (UPDATE: I just thought of "parting cliffs, see the fall"..?)

-"years we spent in the hard way"
Could be "years we spinning the highway" but that doesn't make sense.

All in all, a rather well- fishable song!


BTW Dark, I have that too- I have not a f*cking clue about what Eldritch means when he sings, even though some say they can interprete his lyrics for what they mean- but for now I think I will learn more about the Sisters in time and maybe then maybe be able to make something out of it... and I guess I also need a little more experience in life to understand :von:
It's "cold missile" not cold Messiah.
User avatar
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 442
Joined: 06 Mar 2007, 11:50
Location: The Hollow Land

Tidal wrote:-"cold Messiah" because it rhymes with Maria.


And he holds the syllable for too long for it too be "missile", you don't say "misaaaail", but "missail."
It's good to be back
User avatar
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 372
Joined: 07 Jan 2003, 10:47
Location: Matt's house boat

Tidal wrote:
Tidal wrote:-"cold Messiah" because it rhymes with Maria.


And he holds the syllable for too long for it too be "missile", you don't say "misaaaail", but "missail."
But he's singit it, not saying it.

Pity it never got recorded properly, it's a good song.
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

The Green Lantern wrote:Pity it never got recorded properly, it's a good song.
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
:|
That'll be the quote of the week on HL.
User avatar
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 372
Joined: 07 Jan 2003, 10:47
Location: Matt's house boat

@ emma: Thank you *bows with a flourish*
User avatar
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress
Posts: 7661
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: way on down south, New London town...

C'mon, kiddies - if you don't care for Tidal's obsessive (and I'm not using that word as an insult, my good chap!) forays into speculation and minutiae, don't read his posts! Good grief, silly people... :P :roll:
Hate has no home here. :hl:

<--the "artist" formerly known as Sinnie :lol: :wink: :oops:
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

i hate ppl who just wanna enjoy good songs, in general. Seriously.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

But generally the best way towards understanding Eldritch lyric-writing is reading a lot and thinking a lot.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
User avatar
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress
Posts: 7661
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: way on down south, New London town...

itnAklipse wrote:i hate ppl who just wanna enjoy good songs, in general. Seriously.
...but maybe they, in turn, don't give a rat's arse what you think about them, eh? :P ;)
Hate has no home here. :hl:

<--the "artist" formerly known as Sinnie :lol: :wink: :oops:
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

Probably, but they could think about their own lives for their own benefit.

But hey, anyone wants to spend their life in the throngs of escapism, that is their business...i still don't need to like them.

Though...ignorance, stupidity and futility are a threat to all life and perhaps that's why i find them downright offensive.

How much of the earth has been raped for the sake of idiot's entertainment? Far too much, in my opinion. How many potentially good people these same idiots have turned into likes of themselves because they are a horde and for most sensitive people an unsurmountable obstacle in pursuing a life that would be purposeful and meaningful? Far too many.

In my opinion.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

itnAklipse wrote:But generally the best way towards understanding Eldritch lyric-writing is reading a lot and thinking a lot.
I'd add: living a lot, and feeling things in life intensively.
Then again, I've read and thought and lived intensively and I still don't have a clue, most of the time. :lol:
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

_emma_ wrote:I'd add: living a lot, and feeling things in life intensively.
Yes.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
User avatar
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress
Posts: 7661
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: way on down south, New London town...

itnAklipse wrote:Probably, but they could think about their own lives for their own benefit.
...and it's quite possible that they do, too! An appreciation of something doesn't have to be excruciating, all of the time. Not even music. :eek: :P ;)
Hate has no home here. :hl:

<--the "artist" formerly known as Sinnie :lol: :wink: :oops:
Post Reply