Jaz Coleman (KILLING JOKE) about the sisters

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Apparently or at least according to Jaz, Wayne ripped off his signature guitar sound from Geordie and made it a trademark of the sissies and m*****n. Read below:

Melody Maker, 4 June 1988

"The whole idea of Killing Joke in the first place was not rock 'n' roll, it was not to be Led Zeppelin, it was to be innovatory. It wasn't, 'Let's be big rock 'n' roll stars'. I don't want that. I don't want to see Killing Joke as a boozy rock 'n' roll band. I don't want Killing Joke members bragging about their latest sexual exploits - that's not Killing Joke to me. I'm interested in the study of a new music.

"What I see going on at the moment, this Seventies thing, makes me wanna puke, it makes me wanna throw up all over this table. Everybody knows that without Geordie's guitar sound, without Killing Joke, there would have been no Sisters Of Mercy and, without them, there would have been no m*****n. It goes on and on and on. They all know that. It makes us laugh. We're innovators and, next year, people will be listening to this album and so on and so on.

"Listen, I say to Wayne and the rest of them: listen to 'The Calling', listen to 'Outside The Gate', listen to the album, listen to it well and follow in our footsteps. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Full article here: http://www.killingjoke.org.uk/aid/artic ... 40688.html
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

demolitionsisters wrote:"Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"
:eek:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yeah, i can see that. the overdriven metallic guitar sound with heavy chorus fx is very KJ...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I guess that Coleman hobbies is(was) find who 'stole'/'ripped' their sound.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Bartek wrote:I guess that Coleman hobbies is(was) find who 'stole'/'ripped' their sound.
nah, the sisters' and mish's profile was much higher in 1988 when the interview was done, and all bands moved in the same circles, playing the same venues (and maybe even on the same bills?). they wouldn't have been able to help but notice/hear them.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

FFS musicians have been accusing each other of ripping each other off since at least Mozart and Salieri...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Listen to Outside the Gate? :eek:

Might pass on that one...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Bear in mind that Jaz Coleman is the man who went off to live in Iceland in the early 80s to avoid the apocalypse, which he predicted was coming soon...

Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

lazarus corporation wrote:Bear in mind that Jaz Coleman is the man who went off to live in Iceland in the early 80s to avoid the apocalypse, which he predicted was coming soon...

:lol: hey but if you consider the sheer age of this planet of ours, "soon" is a pretty stretchy term ;D
GC
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:Bear in mind that Jaz Coleman is the man who went off to live in Iceland in the early 80s to avoid the apocalypse, which he predicted was coming soon...

The early 80's were a pretty dodgy time.. Reagen, Breshnev, 1000's of nukes. Apocalypse was 'n't that far off...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:Listen to Outside the Gate? :eek:

Might pass on that one...
you are so right! :eek:

:lol:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

But Jaz, you were right. So much that andrew wrote Summer about you. 'You paint your face once more...'
guns & cars & accidents
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:yeah, i can see that. the overdriven metallic guitar sound with heavy chorus fx is very KJ...
But it's not Wayne's signature sound (which is the 12") and Killing Joke can hardly claim to have invented it. It's been around since at least Pink Floyd and probably earlier. It's just "that thing that guitarists sometimes do. No, not that one, the other one. No, the other other one...Yeah, okay, guitarists do lots of things and sometimes lots of guitarists do the same thing cos there are only so many effects pedals."
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Not knowing anything about Killing Joke I misread this completely

I presumed he was alluding to the early '70's band "Geordie" and I have been playing them on Youtube - trying to find the connection and wondering why anybody would be so proud of it
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
pikkrong
Overbomber

Some of you may argue but for me Hussey's guitar has never defined The Sisters music.
do i drive
or am i driven
meat is murder
Road Kill

pikkrong wrote:Some of you may argue but for me Hussey's guitar has never defined The Sisters music.
same here, i have to say. i've always seen him as just another member of personnel and part of one of the phases in the sisters' existence.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've just recently been back and listening to Reptile House very loud through decent headphones and I had near forgotten how alarmingly intense the guitar is on that - very heavy indeed in places. I've tended over the years to regard RH as quite sparse and spikey - probably compared to the riff and sound overload of TOL and Alice releases for example, but it really blew me away the other day. Any idea who's on the guitars on Reptile House?
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

bearskin wrote: Any idea who's on the guitars on Reptile House?
It was just Von, with Craig Adams on bass of course :)

Never understood why Marx/Gunn didn't play on The Reptile House. :?
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

million voices wrote:Not knowing anything about Killing Joke I misread this completely

I presumed he was alluding to the early '70's band "Geordie" and I have been playing them on Youtube - trying to find the connection and wondering why anybody would be so proud of it
:lol: Not that you'd be able to find a connection between KJ's sound and the Girls' either.KJ were/are an amazing band but were contemporaneous with TSOM and not an influence on them. Geordie influenced Cobain and many others, but Hussey ??? As for Outside the Gate, I'd rather listen to God's Own Medicine !!
mh
Above the Chemist

Dr Poo wrote:

Yeah, Von on Temple as well. In fact it might be fair to say that Von's guitar sound is what really defined (a big part of) the Sisters, and that he's definitely in the top 2 or 3 of Sisters guitarists. Odd, that.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:

Yeah, Von on Temple as well. In fact it might be fair to say that Von's guitar sound is what really defined (a big part of) the Sisters, and that he's definitely in the top 2 or 3 of Sisters guitarists. Odd, that.
I had assumed it was... but not being an anorak, I wasn't sure. Jeez he can sure make it happen. I would LOVE to hear more of what he could come up with with just himself locked up all night in a decent studio somewhere. Not only must the inside of his head be an interesting place, but his talents as a musical maestro are genius.
mickydazzler
Road Kill

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
million voices wrote:Not knowing anything about Killing Joke I misread this completely

:lol: Not that you'd be able to find a connection between KJ's sound and the Girls' either.KJ were/are an amazing band but were contemporaneous with TSOM and not an influence on them. Geordie influenced Cobain and many others, but Hussey ??? As for Outside the Gate, I'd rather listen to God's Own Medicine !!
I wonder if Jaz has heard "Arms"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jvrvdQMt8
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

mh wrote:Yeah, Von on Temple as well.
Hadn't realised that. Knew about RH but had always assumed that Gary and Ben were back for TOL. Maybe that's why they could never nail it live.
Big Si
School Bully

pikkrong wrote:Some of you may argue but for me Hussey's guitar has never defined The Sisters music.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis