Nothing needs to change for the Sisters of Mercy

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A lot of people do things they've lost enthusiasm for just for the money. Nothing wrong with that, if he's still willing to tour, and people are still willing to pay for it, let 'em be. At least Sisters fans are spared the grandiose arse dribble we Neffs fans have to endure..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:A lot of people do things they've lost enthusiasm for just for the money. Nothing wrong with that, if he's still willing to tour, and people are still willing to pay for it, let 'em be. At least Sisters fans are spared the grandiose arse dribble we Neffs fans have to endure..
I enjoyed the interview in this months Metal Hammer,all that guff about only playing gigs on the anniversary of the deaths of Occult Philosophers and literary greats,one wonders who sadly passed away on the day that they play Sonisphere :innocent:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

This is kind of new actually, this is the first time I've ever seen him vindicate the goths in his audience.
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

"I’d love to make a dub reggae album but no-one would buy it from me"

I WOULD
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Elystan wrote:"I’d love to make a dub reggae album but no-one would buy it from me"

I WOULD
Oh yes please! I'd buy it on cd, lp, cassette, whatever :D
in dub we trust
Being645
Above the Chemist

radiojamaica wrote:
Elystan wrote:"I’d love to make a dub reggae album but no-one would buy it from me"

I WOULD
Oh yes please! I'd buy it on cd, lp, cassette, whatever :D
Me too. :)
splintered thing

Elystan wrote:This is kind of new actually, this is the first time I've ever seen him vindicate the goths in his audience.
I agree, there was even a begrudging dare I say it gratitude there.... mixed liberally with the normal indifference. Which actually if I'm honest is how most of us view it.

I don't mind if there is never a new album.
The current band is outstanding, they are very friendly, talented gents who perfectly offset Von and allow him to bring the music to life. I will continue to attend gigs whenever I can, and am profoundly grateful they came down here this Feb/March - and it is much more convenient/cheaper than flying to Europe regularly (which I will do still too).
:lol:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
sultan2075
Overbomber

--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yes, I totally get that.

Right now TSOM are a Nostalgia Act. They are just a route for Von to make money and for Ben and Chris to go on paid-for holidays. I can't see anyone disagreeing with that as fact?

What would save them would be a purpose. Now, they get the punters on a promise of "we'll play new material live", but when was the last time that happened - when was the last 'new' song added? It's becoming a con.

The purpose could just be that they'll play an album live in it's entirety. I'm sure, given the adulation lumped on it by most HLers, that many would pay to see FALAA played live - with maybe a few extras thrown in as encores. That at least would give the live tours some purpose. Rather than the on-and-on of setlists that vary not a natch in the last 5 years?

Or, change things around a bit and do an expanded show. Bring in a backing singer to do the choral/female parts, some live bass?

Or, do a three-set piece. I saw Julian Cope do this with a tour - first part, the new album, second part was acoustic, last bit - Greatest hits. I, for one would adore that. I'd travel to Europe to see that.

Right now, I wouldn't pay again for another TSOM show if the format doesn't change...
mugabe

Two things need to change:

1. Get a drummer. A hairy, sweaty beast of a drummer. Well, any drummer, that is. Throw a bassplayer in, while you're at it.

2. Incorporate "You Could Be The One" in the set.

Then, count me in again.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
sultan2075
Overbomber

mugabe wrote:Two things need to change:

1. Get a drummer. A hairy, sweaty beast of a drummer. Well, any drummer, that is. Throw a bassplayer in, while you're at it.

Then, count me in again.
I'll give you no. 2 and half of no. 1.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mugabe

sultan2075 wrote:
mugabe wrote:Two things need to change:

Then, count me in again.
I'll give you no. 2 and half of no. 1.
I'll settle for that. Thanks. See you in the pit!
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
iesus
Overbomber

I would love to hear You Could be the One live :D
also i would buy the dub reggae experimental new album from the crew in that concert too :D
and the single and the DVD if they are available to buy :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
bearskin

mugabe wrote: 1. Get a drummer. A hairy, sweaty beast of a drummer. Well, any drummer, that is.
Get rid of the Doc? Might as well call time on Andrew as well then - he's not exactly cutting-edge any more is he? Maybe it's like a family business and Chris is due to take over anyway - rename it 'Sisters and Sons'?
bearskin

iesus wrote:I would love to hear You Could be the One live :D
I would love to hear anything new, borrowed or blue.

Far Parade
Rhinestone Cowboy
Heart of Saturday Night, maybe.

or just Lights and Floorshow. or This Corrosion with a female voice in it.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A live drummer? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

bearskin wrote:Yes, I totally get that.

Right now TSOM are a Nostalgia Act. They are just a route for Von to make money and for Ben and Chris to go on paid-for holidays. I can't see anyone disagreeing with that as fact?

What would save them would be a purpose.
Save them from what? I would say that last year they had the highest media profile they've had for nearly twenty years,the gigs they choose to play (in the U.K at least) pretty much all sell out. They are doing what they want to do,when they want. Just what do they need saving from? Aside from the expectations of a very small part of their audience that is.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
bearskin

ribbons69 wrote: Save them from what? I would say that last year they had the highest media profile they've had for nearly twenty years,the gigs they choose to play (in the U.K at least) pretty much all sell out. They are doing what they want to do,when they want. Just what do they need saving from? Aside from the expectations of a very small part of their audience that is.
From being a sad Nostalgia Act, playing songs from their heyday 25 years ago.

From being a con. Saying one thing (we play new songs live rather than release them) and doing another (playing the same set give or take a couple of songs endlessly)
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:A live drummer? :lol:
Wouldn't be the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQaNPjFw2nI
zaltys7

Who are the rest of the band in that clip?

Paul.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
splintered thing

:eek:
Ok :eek: drummer...
Von may look delicious in this clip, despite wearing my Gran's dressing gown, but is it just me or does this sort of performance pretty much sum up the whole record company pawn argument that he has been making for years. I find it hard to believe that he set up the band/stage arrangements etc for that event. Very odd, if you are promoting a band, surely it makes sense to promote the correct one...
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:A live drummer? :lol:
Wouldn't be the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQaNPjFw2nI
:lol: I'd forgotten about that.

It's not exactly a "live drummer" when it's someone dicking about miming, is it? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
copper
Amphetamine Filth

splintered thing wrote: Von may look delicious in this clip, despite wearing my Gran's dressing gown, but is it just me or does this sort of performance pretty much sum up the whole record company pawn argument that he has been making for years. I find it hard to believe that he set up the band/stage arrangements etc for that event. Very odd, if you are promoting a band, surely it makes sense to promote the correct one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTBnfVfESI

It was probably a bit of balance of terror during Floodland, as after the lucrative videos et al, Von refused to tour. I could imagine the record company saying that in order to compensate, he needs to jump through a few hoops and appear at certain events with enough people to reasonably fill the stage.

I wouldn't recognize Rodney Orpheus or James Ray in 1988 for the life of me, but I remember reading they've appeared on stage in some of them.

On the PP performance, he was probably in town, while Bruhn and Whammy were not.
zoozoon
Road Kill

zaltys7 wrote:Who are the rest of the band in that clip?

Paul.
Well, I’m not completely sure, but I’ve read somewhere that the band was called Supreme Machine. It was/is a local band from Hamburg. If you watch their clip and compare the bassist and guitarist they indeed look a like. You have to envision the vocalist with longer hair and place him behind the keyboard, though.

And the aforementioned clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOsyBfUxAxI
centurionofprix

euphoria wrote:
sultan2075 wrote: The whole quality-control thing seems perfectly plausible to me as well. I find that I am the same way with my own (academic) work. I write a lot more than I bother to share.
I still think it's BS. Still and Arms would pass the quality control, unlike earlier Sisters songs like...C&B? Summer? Ribbons..? etc.

I just don't believe that, at all.
They've grown musically... I mean, you listed to some of the rubbish they did early on - it was stupid. Now with a song like "I Have Slept With All The Girls In Berlin" they've taken a sophisticated view of the idea of - sex, you know, and music.