Post your home-made Sisters compilations

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Post Reply
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4346
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

No doubt we all have our favourite tracks or are unhappy with the reverse-chronological Overbombing :lol: I thought it might be fun to share our home-programmed Sisters compilations/playlists. I recently put a few CD compilations together using my needledrops, one is a mix of vinyl-only tracks and the other is a "deluxe" F&L&A. Have other members done anything similar?
The Needle and the Damage Done wrote: Image
Deluxe wrote:Image
Share yours! :D
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20552
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

I have a "Sisters at the BBC" mix which is just the Peel/Jensen sessions and the Whistle Test appearance, all in chronological order.
User avatar
radiojamaica
Overbomber
Posts: 4852
Joined: 11 Apr 2005, 16:51
Location: Tower of Bass

I made several over the years, the last one was for a friend a while ago with demos and stuff, moodpieces:

Burn it down (demo)
Anaconda (early demo)
Jolene (demo)
Afterhours (B&S b-side)
Phantom (long version)
Wide Receiver
Marian (OGWT)
Knocking On Heavens Door (RAH)
A Rock And A Hard Place (remix)
Lucretia (Floodland demo)
Never Land (Floodland demo)
Untitled (Floodland demo)
Snowdriver (Floodland demo)
Flood I
Untitled (Dominion b-side)
in dub we trust
User avatar
million voices
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1008
Joined: 10 May 2006, 22:31
Location: The Ballrooms Of Mars

My most used compilations are really the most basic. I put non LP tracks, singles B-sides or re-mixes in chronological order

These break down in to 4 CDs -

1980-83 - which is just "Some Girls Wander" in order
1984-85
1987-88
1990-93

This way I can pretend that I have far greater choice
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
User avatar
Pat
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1313
Joined: 19 Jun 2005, 22:19
Location: Occupied Scotland
Contact:

1st -FALAA vinyl rip

2nd-Some Pats Wander by Mistake


Image

Mr Blast did the logo , loved it so much I still have a framed version on the wall.

These were done in 2006 so I think the DVD-V audio version would have been a 96khz 24bit transfer which was about the highest setting my PC back then could handle, still sounds very yummy!
User avatar
mh
Above the Chemist
Posts: 7548
Joined: 23 Jun 2003, 14:41
Location: Over the edge and too far forward

That FALAA 2-disc set is neat; just what the official reissue should have been.

One of my first bootlegs was an "Enter the Sisters" with low-quality (but not as low as some) copies of official releases, and I still sometimes put together a playlist with it's tracks:

Temple of Love (12")
Burn
Floorshow
Anaconda
Adrenochrome

Alice
Body Electric (original)
Lights
Heartland
Gimme Shelter

Another one I put together was called "Into the mess that scalpels make" and rounded up the post-SGWBM singles and B-sides.
Trigonometry. It's a sin.
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4346
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

Pat wrote:1st -FALAA vinyl rip

2nd-Some Pats Wander by Mistake


Image

Mr Blast did the logo , loved it so much I still have a framed version on the wall.

These were done in 2006 so I think the DVD-V audio version would have been a 96khz 24bit transfer which was about the highest setting my PC back then could handle, still sounds very yummy!
Nice! I captured mine at 24/192, so a DVD audio disc is on the cards. For this material, 24/96 is more than enough to capture all the information.

What gear are you using, Pat?
User avatar
Pat
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1313
Joined: 19 Jun 2005, 22:19
Location: Occupied Scotland
Contact:

Was using Robert, it's all tucked away safely in the loft (don't have kids).Michell Gyro SE, rega 300 arm and Ortofon MC 10 supreme cart. Trichord research phono stage , Audiolab preamp. I put it through a creative audio soundcard to capture and did a manual click and clean with Soundforge.Might also have done a little tweaking in Soundforge with Diamond something or other plug ins and a BBE plugin which were all very HQ . Very geeky and great fun.Sounded great, really miss it :(
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4558
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

Can't listen to sisters now. When I did flood I and II was obv combo
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4346
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

Pat wrote:Was using Robert, it's all tucked away safely in the loft (don't have kids).Michell Gyro SE, rega 300 arm and Ortofon MC 10 supreme cart. Trichord research phono stage , Audiolab preamp. I put it through a creative audio soundcard to capture and did a manual click and clean with Soundforge.Might also have done a little tweaking in Soundforge with Diamond something or other plug ins and a BBE plugin which were all very HQ . Very geeky and great fun.Sounded great, really miss it :(
What a set-up!

I'm rocking a SL-1210 with Audio Technica AT440MLA cart, into a Technics SU-V9 vintage amplifier from 1982. Capturing in Audition with an Asus Xonar U7 sound card and de-clicking with ClickRepair, which gets a lot of good press from the pro needledroppers.

Great fun indeed!
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20552
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

mh wrote:One of my first bootlegs was an "Enter the Sisters" with low-quality (but not as low as some) copies of official releases, and I still sometimes put together a playlist with it's tracks:
Ooh good call.
User avatar
sultan2075
Overbomber
Posts: 2029
Joined: 04 Mar 2005, 19:17
Location: Mordor-on-the-Potomac
Contact:

That was one of my first ones as well - I believe I have it on vinyl and also had it on a shoddy CD with a flimsy cut-too-small insert.
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20552
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

I had a dodgy cassette of it that was probably third or fourth generation copy of the vinyl. Lost it long ago.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
User avatar
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard
Posts: 1466
Joined: 17 Sep 2004, 20:57
Location: Was the UK, but now Columbus, Ohio

robertzombie wrote:No doubt we all have our favourite tracks or are unhappy with the reverse-chronological Overbombing :lol: I thought it might be fun to share our home-programmed Sisters compilations/playlists. I recently put a few CD compilations together using my needledrops, one is a mix of vinyl-only tracks and the other is a "deluxe" F&L&A. Have other members done anything similar?
The Needle and the Damage Done wrote: Image
Deluxe wrote:Image
Share yours! :D
I would definitely buy this :notworthy:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12873
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 71%

Fully seconded ... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: ... they also look very cool, robertzombie ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
User avatar
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber
Posts: 2459
Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 23:35
Location: Scotland
Contact:

robertzombie wrote:
Deluxe wrote:Image
How about adding a third CD with the Jensen session (esp Jolene and the very different NTTC), Long Train, the early SKOS, Dance on Glass, Garden of Delight etc. If you added all the (slightly) different versions of the core FALAA tracks which you have identified in the other thread, you could probably fill about six CDs for the terminally sad (guilty as charged, m'lud).
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 8074
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: WhizzWorld
Contact:

forgetting 7" edits/versions and limited edition mixes this, at the time i first put it together, represented the officially-released tracks as yet unavailable on (an officiial) cd, with the exception of Body And Soul which i feel needs to be with the rest of the tracks from it's 12" for completerness.

"...into the mess that scalpels make..."

Alice (1993)
Body And Soul
Body Electric (1984)
Train
Afterhours
Poison Door
On The Wire
Blood Money
Bury Me Deep
Untitled
Sandstorm
Emma
You Could Be The One
Knocking' On Heavens Door
Something Fast
Ozymandias
"...a right hand is a horrible thing to lose..."

#WeOnlyHateMancs
:bat:
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4346
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
robertzombie wrote:
Deluxe wrote:Image
How about adding a third CD with the Jensen session (esp Jolene and the very different NTTC), Long Train, the early SKOS, Dance on Glass, Garden of Delight etc. If you added all the (slightly) different versions of the core FALAA tracks which you have identified in the other thread, you could probably fill about six CDs for the terminally sad (guilty as charged, m'lud).
When Warners gives me access to the tapes I will do this! ;D
Post Reply