Sisters spotting

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Planet Dave wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 16:41
mh wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 15:33 From the F club to Go4 to proto Goth : Post punk Leeds : and in depth look at how punk impacted on the city.

Another fantastic Louder than War article, more of a focus on the broader Leeds post-punk scene, but also delving into some deep Sisters history (including one or two items that were new to me, such as recollections of how Von first met Gary, for inst).

This one's worth taking some time to read in more careful detail. :notworthy:
Magnificent read, cheers for the link Michael :D
superb article ta! :notworthy:

:bat:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Some Bay Area based black methal band named Wolf King.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

He appears to be the bassist. Here's another:
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Swinnow
Overbomber

Excitingly, I caught up with an old episode (series 6 episode 8 ) of the UK spy drama Spooks last night. The episode revolved around an 'Operation Floodland' which was to deal a devastating blow to a certain western superpower.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
mh
Above the Chemist

Swinnow wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 10:34 Excitingly, I caught up with an old episode (series 6 episode 8 ) of the UK spy drama Spooks last night. The episode revolved around an 'Operation Floodland' which was to deal a devastating blow to a certain western superpower.
The writers are obviously Sisters fans, there were references to Gift in another episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siste ... bum_trivia
The final episode of BBC drama Spooks' seventh series references this album. The Russian code broadcast on a Cold War number station is "2.5.0.0.2.5. Finland Red, Egypt White. It is twice blest. It is twice blest. Rain from Heaven". This code activates a Russian sleeper agent in Faversham (also a reference to the Sisters of Mercy as the Faversham is a pub in Leeds that "was where goth's dark lords, the Sisters of Mercy, would hold court"), Kent to collect a hidden portable nuclear weapon to be taken to Grosvenor Square in London and detonated at 15:00hrs. Also, while trying to get to London Bridge through an unused underground tube tunnel, Lucas North says the sentence "What is lost can never be found"; a line from the "Giving Ground" track.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Spooky

Sorry
Swinnow
Overbomber

mh wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 11:15
Swinnow wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 10:34 Excitingly, I caught up with an old episode (series 6 episode 8 ) of the UK spy drama Spooks last night. The episode revolved around an 'Operation Floodland' which was to deal a devastating blow to a certain western superpower.
The writers are obviously Sisters fans, there were references to Gift in another episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Siste ... bum_trivia
The final episode of BBC drama Spooks' seventh series references this album. The Russian code broadcast on a Cold War number station is "2.5.0.0.2.5. Finland Red, Egypt White. It is twice blest. It is twice blest. Rain from Heaven". This code activates a Russian sleeper agent in Faversham (also a reference to the Sisters of Mercy as the Faversham is a pub in Leeds that "was where goth's dark lords, the Sisters of Mercy, would hold court"), Kent to collect a hidden portable nuclear weapon to be taken to Grosvenor Square in London and detonated at 15:00hrs. Also, while trying to get to London Bridge through an unused underground tube tunnel, Lucas North says the sentence "What is lost can never be found"; a line from the "Giving Ground" track.
The episode referred to above (s07e08) was broadcast again on 3rd Dec on Drama channel in the UK and is available via the UKTV app for catch up services. It is a standalone episode but better to see a couple of previous episodes to get the underlying theme regarding the 'traitor'.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Gegen die Wand, which features The Sisters Temple of Love
is currently available once again on German TV (until Dedember 21)...

https://www.ardmediathek.de/ard/video/f ... YwNmE5YmM/
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Also The Sisters were part of a question on Christmas University Challenge last night. Something along the lines of "Which city do the bands Soft Cell, The Sisters Of Mercy and Kaiser Chiefs come from?"
They got it wrong.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Not quite Sisters spotting, I never found Eldritch in my handbag :lol: . I'm having a clear out and at the bottom of my handbag I spotted a ticket from the Sisters, The Forum 2003! Strange feeling that it is a very long time ago now!
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

elamanamou wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 16:35 Not quite Sisters spotting, I never found Eldritch in my handbag :lol: . I'm having a clear out and at the bottom of my handbag I spotted a ticket from the Sisters, The Forum 2003! Strange feeling that it is a very long time ago now!
You are on the video! On someone's shoulders for Marian IIRC.
iesus
Overbomber

actually i found this cover and i can't find a thread where we post covers... but what the heck...
Enjoy Lucretia cover

;D :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
road_kill
Road Kill

Look who's on Top of the Pops...

... it's only Bruno f**king Brookes!!

(Oh yeah, and the Sisters)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-11101990
NhDNlkYcIc
czuczu
Overbomber

road_kill wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 00:32 Look who's on Top of the Pops...

... it's only Bruno f**king Brookes!!

(Oh yeah, and the Sisters)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-11101990

Played less than half the song. Who's idea were the backing singers? :lol:
m1ckey
Road Kill

Probably already mentioned, BUT...

Super Cars II - Amiga game

11:00 - ish...
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

That is straight up plagiarism,but one hell of an interesting take. Those amiga sound chips could really handle a lot!
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
iesus
Overbomber

:eek: :eek:
Amiga ripped off shamelesly Sisters music :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Dan
Overbomber

What song is it supposed to sound like? :oops: :oops: :lol:
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Honestly i think i prefer that rendition of Body Electric to most of the Sisters renditions.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
m1ckey
Road Kill

iesus wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 18:59 :eek: :eek:
Amiga ripped off shamelesly Sisters music :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Game developers Magnetic Fields Ltd. and their musician Barry Leech to be exact.

Checked game manual and Sisters/Eldritch aren´t credited what-so-ever.

However, I´m pretty sure Andy is well aware of this, since he was an Amiga gamer back in the day.

There´s this another game, which´s name escapes me, where the title music is not a rendition but actual sample of "Walk away".
Swinnow
Overbomber

m1ckey wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 10:03 However, I´m pretty sure Andy is well aware of this, since he was an Amiga gamer back in the day.
Yeah, I had a nagging thought that Von was one of those "gamer" types once upon a time. Perhaps he flogged off the rights to use 'Body Electric' to pay a cat food invoice as he was the sole writer. I'm sure we'd have heard of any unseemly legal squabbling, real or imaginary, back in the day.
m1ckey
Road Kill

Dan wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 02:59 What song is it supposed to sound like? :oops: :oops: :lol:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Bartek wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:28 Image
Some Bay Area based black methal band named Wolf King.
The fella second from right is just about to set fire to his fake beard.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Forgot to post what I came on this thread for. Sidetracked by the beard...

Watched the very average doc Looking For Johnny t'other night.
Adam Pearson pops up as a talking head.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2974068/fu ... cl_sm#cast
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

alanm wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 06:29 Honestly i think i prefer that rendition of Body Electric to most of the Sisters renditions.
even the body and soul 12" version (post sound-fixing by dr. robert)? :eek:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"