Vinyl re-issue of F&L&A + 3 EPs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

This July Warner Music will release a fantastic vinyl box set compiling the band's classic 1985 debut 'First and Last and Always' with 3 EPs from the era. All pressed on 180g vinyl with faithfully reproduced artwork. The set will also be replicated digitally, with "Body Electric� (1984 Version) and “Afterhours" being made available digitally for the first time ever!
Squeezing more blood from the stone? If they haven't got RobertZombie doing the remastering, they've missed a trick!
robertzombie
Overbomber

They'd better not bugger it up is all I'm saying.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

It looks like it's the label and not the band doing it. Would they be more or less attentive to quality? :|
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

This is presumably what we discussed here a month ago https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24808
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:This is presumably what we discussed here a month ago https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24808
Thanks for the link I forgot about it as my connection was poor to say the least, now its like a Bullet Train. ;D
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Ah! Missed that as I was not about.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

I asked Mr Catalyst about this on Twitter this morning. The exchange went like this:

Me: "Morning. You guys have anything to do with a box set rerelease of FL&A being discussed online? Presumably not?"

Him: "Of course not. This is the record company bumming you once again."

I'm sure he won't mind me posting this here, as it will probably just mean less people asking him about it as the release date draws near.

So nothing to do with the band.
Do I drive or am I driven?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Arrrgh! wrote:I asked Mr Catalyst about this on Twitter this morning. The exchange went like this:

Me: "Morning. You guys have anything to do with a box set rerelease of FL&A being discussed online? Presumably not?"

Him: "Of course not. This is the record company bumming you once again."

I'm sure he won't mind me posting this here, as it will probably just mean less people asking him about it as the release date draws near.

So nothing to do with the band.
Thanks for the confirmation
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
robertzombie
Overbomber

The band don't own the rights to the material, why would they have anything to with it?

In the other thread there was talk of the label using original manufacturing parts to repress the records. If that is still the case then I see no reason why this can't be the best release of these songs to date. Band input has nothing to do with the potential for a quality release.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Α box set with falaa and the singles, i always dreamt about a release like that, CAN'T WAIT!!
Pista
Cureboi

robertzombie wrote:
In the other thread there was talk of the label using original manufacturing parts to repress the records. If that is still the case then I see no reason why this can't be the best release of these songs to date.
Not really. Given that parts can wear, it could well be the worst quality.
Either way, this is interesting purely for WEA's promise of the B&S 12" tracks digitally available for (officially) the first time :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Is there any "official" news about this?
I've checked the Warner Music site, all the usual vinyl sites and can't find any mention which is strange if it's due to be released next month.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
robertzombie wrote:
In the other thread there was talk of the label using original manufacturing parts to repress the records. If that is still the case then I see no reason why this can't be the best release of these songs to date.
Not really. Given that parts can wear, it could well be the worst quality.
Either way, this is interesting purely for WEA's promise of the B&S 12" tracks digitally available for (officially) the first time :)
If they're kept in the right conditions then they should be fine. Big Black repressed their LPs from the original DMM parts in 2012 and they sound superb compared to the original pressings. Same mastering + better vinyl formulation = better product.

I wonder what form the digital release will take. Hopefully at least lossless redbook format. I hope they don't brickwall them.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Looks like Rhino is behind the wheel on this. A lot of their vinyl reissues are well regarded.

There is hope.

http://www.treblezine.com/23713-sisters ... t-reissue/
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
There is hope.
Yes, really looking forward to this.
darcraver
Road Kill

Could be good. I believe the MFSL pressing to be the best one so far. I'm selling my Sisters collection, but that's the one I'm keeping to play.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

And Amazon (uk) now have a listing for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Last-Alwa ... and+always
robertzombie
Overbomber

That's odd that Amazon are listing it with the USA label. The plot thickens.
darcraver wrote:Could be good. I believe the MFSL pressing to be the best one so far. I'm selling my Sisters collection, but that's the one I'm keeping to play.
Keep in mind that Mofi used the Japanese mixes. If you want the original mixes you'll need to hold on to a German/USA original pressing too.
darcraver
Road Kill

Good point. I prefer the Japanese mixes, but I guess I should also keep one of the other versions as well.
shelvis
Road Kill

Phil
Amphetamine Filth

I'm being picky, and picky towards the typing muppets employed by the iTunes people but...
here the classic lineup remains with him, That Guitarist, Craig Adams, Gary Marx (all of whom later became the m*****n UK)
..ah yes. Gary Marx was great in the m*****n UK weren't he?

Also, it postulates that there are some interesting questions regarding the re-issue then really only asks one; is it rock and roll?

<sigh> I don't know Mr ITunes but I like it, like it etc
Anger Is An Energy
shelvis
Road Kill

Phil wrote:I'm being picky, and picky towards the typing muppets employed by the iTunes people but...
here the classic lineup remains with him, That Guitarist, Craig Adams, Gary Marx (all of whom later became the m*****n UK)
..ah yes. Gary Marx was great in the m*****n UK weren't he?

Also, it postulates that there are some interesting questions regarding the re-issue then really only asks one; is it rock and roll?

<sigh> I don't know Mr ITunes but I like it, like it etc
Von will be pleased... "chirky vocal" too? Classic!
Power in the face of Misery.
Pista
Cureboi

& I guess ichoonz will be selling them in that gloriously shiatty aac format they love so much :roll:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pat wrote:And Amazon (uk) now have a listing for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Last-Alwa ... and+always
Pre-order now live :D