Mr Whammy and the veto right

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
copper
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 178
Joined: 28 Jan 2009, 14:33

This is an old hat, but if you'd be so kind to humour my curiosity.

Von says that if they ever put out any studio tracks, it'll exclude all works by Adam Pearson. This means, buh-bye Summer, Crash & Burn, et al.

Von has repeatedly implied that Adam's stance in related to securing a record company backing (money upfront). Dumping the tracks into iTunes means trickles of royalties, after the corporations (incl. Merciful Release) have taken their cut.

If Von's account is accurate (as we lack Adam's side of the story), the biggest obstacle in releasing those tracks is that Adam feels he's owed money for services rendered. Von's such a miser at times, anyway.

In that case, Adam would have maintained control of his own publishing rights during the writing process. One way to accomplish that would be to be the Leeds-based guitarist Von wants to do an album with, and thinks he can hustle it for a high price to any major label.

Maybe it's just that; Adam still holding the golden ticket to the Willy Wonka chocolate factory.

Or Von's just pulling our leg?
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

I'm not sure there's any implication that Adam feels he's owed money. I think the reason given for Adam's reluctance was, as you say, an aversion to iTunes, although I don't think it was ever stated that this was about royalties or wanting record company backing. Although someone else will probably know better than me.

Confusingly, for years Von said the reason for no new album was record companies wouldn't offer enough money, which strongly implies HE wanted record company backing. But then he started saying they weren't interested in making a new album because the record industry was self-destructing. Exactly what all that means is anyone's guess, but it doesn't seem to follow that Adam is holding out for a record deal while Von wants to go to iTunes. The one thing that seems certain is that the biggest obstacle to releasing Adam's songs is persuading Von to release any songs at all.

I'm also unsure what you mean about "being the Leeds-based guitarist". That wouldn't have any effect on control of publishing rights, and I don't think Adam has a big enough reputation to be a key factor in securing a major deal.

Maybe Von doesn't want to release an album because he thinks Adam wrote all the best songs.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
User avatar
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 09:06
Location: Ne Where Every Where
Contact:

Surely Andrew could reword lyrics if he wants to use the basic premise for a song and get either Chris say to walk out a few tunes to go with them? Or maybe he does not think they are good enough to record and is looking for a stronger set to put together as an album, after all this time I could see him wanting to put out very strong set.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 661
Joined: 31 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: East Yorkshire

The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
Give me one good reason
User avatar
czuczu
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1871
Joined: 24 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: UK

I'm pretty sure AE has subsequently said Adam had a change of heart but it was too late by then..
@stuczu
User avatar
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 09:06
Location: Ne Where Every Where
Contact:

Spiggy's hat wrote:The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
They would have had an offer in place before they left East West? if there was anyone interested, that there was not shows that by the time of the SVV debacle there was not. Besides now is there any point in getting a deal, others live quite well using either pledging or running their own label or being on a small label. Technology has moved on that a well sorted or set up band could get away without spending millions or even hundreds of thousands on recording studios. You don't need a massive mixing desk with 2inch tape anymore a fairly decent pc or mac can do the job. Besides the best recorded music pre PC's from the point of listening to it was done with either a pair of crossed mic's or Decca tree (Blue Note, Living Prescence etc). Some classic and well recorded LP's were recorded in a Wk or less someone a day. If Andrew sees iTunes or other downloadable services as the way to distribute then hats off he is mostly right, if enough want a vinyl product do it as a premium option.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4346
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

If they do record a new album I hope they don't mess up the mastering with loudness war rubbish!
User avatar
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 09:06
Location: Ne Where Every Where
Contact:

robertzombie wrote:If they do record a new album I hope they don't mess up the mastering with loudness war rubbish!
Seconded, many a recent album becomes unlistenable with that rubbish. :notworthy:
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

Alex66 wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
They would have had an offer in place before they left East West? if there was anyone interested, that there was not shows that by the time of the SVV debacle there was not.
Presumably not, otherwise they'd have signed with the new label. I'm not the first to say this, but the strike would pretty much have made them toxic to any label.

And yes, they're long past the point of any label being interested now.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
User avatar
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 09:06
Location: Ne Where Every Where
Contact:

stufarq wrote:
Alex66 wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
They would have had an offer in place before they left East West? if there was anyone interested, that there was not shows that by the time of the SVV debacle there was not.
Presumably not, otherwise they'd have signed with the new label. I'm not the first to say this, but the strike would pretty much have made them toxic to any label.

And yes, they're long past the point of any label being interested now.
The thing I don't get now is that is now is an almost golden age to be fully independent or semi independent. They can easily get CD's made if they want to distribute that way or they could do it completely by download. In the band is someone who has successfully done a couple of pledge campaigns also. Though on one or two of the video interviews done recently it did look like Andrew is a bit more open to it :von: So maybe something will happen? But he has the desire to do over the top productions :(, don't know why the Steiman ones on flood land are not as good as the other LP tracks in my view. Still I don't think he can be bothered or does not think he can write something as good as the previous recordings. I hold as much hope of new material from them as I do from Buddy Holly though John Foxx did a spectacular comeback so who knows.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
User avatar
Dan
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1878
Joined: 25 Sep 2002, 01:00
Location: Leeds

copper wrote:Dumping the tracks into iTunes means trickles of royalties, after the corporations (incl. Merciful Release) have taken their cut.
There are no corporations. Since the band aren't signed to a record company - If Andrew cut out the middleman and took it straight to itunes then after itunes had taken their cut (as they do with everyone) the rest of the money would be shared out between the writers & performers. Or am I missing something obvious?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5922
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

Spiggy's hat wrote:The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
It's good to see that someone wrote that before me. :wink:

I know it's two weeks before yet another tour with same ol' songs (anyone remeber that 7 years ago they put lyrics for Far Parade?), same ol' ideas for show, same ol' arrangements (after some re-done made few years ago).

It's easy to see that speculation of maybe-maybe new album it's nice, but we can talk about how to get mammoth walk on Earth again, because it seems much more likable. Talking about how easy it's to record music album this days, and convincing ourselves that TSOM can do that bacause it's so easy, it's nice excersice for brain, but only that. Will it's what AE needs, and since we got clear message: no new redcord, said thousands of times before, it's as possible as landing on sun (yes, I know North Korea did that) that we'll see new album.

Changing of mind, when that happens, on that matter, can be see when they getting ready for tour, so it's to get media attention, so it's to sold few more tickets.

Quality control? Yeah, sure go find and listen Still.

Mr. Whammy left band over 10 years ago, I guess that even if Adam was obstacle in releasing any new stuff (everyone forgot about gloriuous Summer?), 10 years is more than enough to write and record at least one new EP, but what we got, and what we know about is few songs, mediocre songs as for TSOM standard, IMHO.

Have a nice week. :kiss:
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1114
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

I wouldn't rule out an independent digital release. But Andrew is reluctant to play that card unless he needs to, i.e. if ticket sales would be going down. Like now, after the cancellation chaos :wink:

But yeah, he'd have the Nobel prize in unproductivity if there was one, Far Parade alone must score some points with being the latest song, but still unfinished after almost 7 years :lol:
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 303
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 18:16

I would rule out everything. Their "newest" song "Arms" is this year celeberating EIGHT years! There is to this day no proof "Far Parade" is nothing more than a lyricsheet.
User avatar
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 270
Joined: 25 Mar 2015, 09:06
Location: Ne Where Every Where
Contact:

Bartek wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:The suggestion that any major record label would be interested in putting a substantial amount of £ into making a new Sisters record, becomes more laughable with each passing year.
It's good to see that someone wrote that before me. :wink:

I know it's two weeks before yet another tour with same ol' songs (anyone remeber that 7 years ago they put lyrics for Far Parade?), same ol' ideas for show, same ol' arrangements (after some re-done made few years ago).

It's easy to see that speculation of maybe-maybe new album it's nice, but we can talk about how to get mammoth walk on Earth again, because it seems much more likable. Talking about how easy it's to record music album this days, and convincing ourselves that TSOM can do that bacause it's so easy, it's nice excersice for brain, but only that. Will it's what AE needs, and since we got clear message: no new redcord, said thousands of times before, it's as possible as landing on sun (yes, I know North Korea did that) that we'll see new album.

Changing of mind, when that happens, on that matter, can be see when they getting ready for tour, so it's to get media attention, so it's to sold few more tickets.

Quality control? Yeah, sure go find and listen Still.

Mr. Whammy left band over 10 years ago, I guess that even if Adam was obstacle in releasing any new stuff (everyone forgot about gloriuous Summer?), 10 years is more than enough to write and record at least one new EP, but what we got, and what we know about is few songs, mediocre songs as for TSOM standard, IMHO.

Have a nice week. :kiss:
I do think you are right about the songs not being as good as past songs, it seems he is lacking something to write about. It could be that with touring and the trickle of royalties that he is comfortable enough and has lost that anger or drive that created the great lyrics of the past and I think they do stand up there with Reed, Cohen etc. So with out some theme and rage/drive to say something he is struggling to get down tuff of the same quality. If he is precious about it I could see him looking thinking this is not good enough to release and also all the Adam songs are out on so many bootlegs what is the point.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20544
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

Mentioning bootleggers, I think that the fear of them is also another obstacle.

As I understand it, there are all sorts of studio demos that the guys have laid down over the years... but Eldritch refuses to put any vocal tracks on them in case they "leak" somehow.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
User avatar
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 625
Joined: 26 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Europe

I've read somewhere that they recorded both far parade and arms with Lisa Cuthbert on backing vocals.

The new live rendition of this corrosion and 1959 feels like the have been given a "female" touch... could be wrong though...

Ahh, here it is...

https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... ht=#615916
page 3
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5922
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

Seriously, in that case they shouldn't even dare to play any new songs live, because their gigs are well documented (since all their fans and followers got are live acts), so it's sure that they will never sell it as new.

That sounds like the greates excuse to never record anything ...

Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol.
Cocaine.

Paranoia. Paranoia.

Not: I not gonna record any new material because (1) I don't have any good ideas or (2) because I'm affraid that what I got maight be just weak, or (3) because all my efforts may be in vain, because few people will buy it, or (4) indeed no record companies would like to pay to realease that, but because "it may leak". Bravo!
Yes, some people still voilate copyright, some people steal, but some, not most.
But since, we're still on speculation side of the road, lets stick and seek for facts.
User avatar
million voices
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1008
Joined: 10 May 2006, 22:31
Location: The Ballrooms Of Mars

To go back to the original question I believe it is Eldo just pulling our leg as in all these reasons / excuses not to record

My opinion is that he doesn't feel he can add to his recorded output and any attempt will only diminish what is already there

He wants to leave his legacy untarnished
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5922
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

million voices wrote: He wants to leave his legacy untarnished
Seriously? You think that is the reason? In my opinion, after years what left from TSOM are great records, fantastic shirts, but not great live band.
User avatar
million voices
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1008
Joined: 10 May 2006, 22:31
Location: The Ballrooms Of Mars

You are misunderstanding me

When I meant "his legacy" I was referring to the studio output - the three / four albums plus the singles collections.

If he was to release another studio album it would just not be as good as what had been released before
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
User avatar
million voices
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1008
Joined: 10 May 2006, 22:31
Location: The Ballrooms Of Mars

.... years in the future the present day crap gigs will be long forgotten and The Sisters will be remembered as just one of the best bands of the Eighties and there is the soundtrack to prove it.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5922
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

I didn't not forget about albums, I mentioned albums directly, I see his/TSOM "legacy" as whole, but it's true, what's left after TSOM will be albums.
User avatar
EvilBastard
Overbomber
Posts: 3875
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 17:48
Location: Where the Ruined Tower shouts

million voices wrote:.... years in the future...The Sisters will be remembered as just one of the best bands of the Eighties and there is the soundtrack to prove it.
Yes, but that soundtrack will be from Lost Boys, thereby ensuring that far into the future historians and musicologists can argue about whether Cry Little Sister was a Sisters track or not.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

EvilBastard wrote:
million voices wrote:.... years in the future...The Sisters will be remembered as just one of the best bands of the Eighties and there is the soundtrack to prove it.
Yes, but that soundtrack will be from Lost Boys, thereby ensuring that far into the future historians and musicologists can argue about whether Cry Little Sister was a Sisters track or not.
:lol:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Post Reply