Paint My Name In Black and Gold: The Next Phase

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

sentenza wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 17:29 Nice to hear that good news, Koen !
Still waiting btw...
Merci mon ami.

Best to contact Unbound via mail and ask to ship the book anyway...
They're waiting for the IOSS deal, but have no idea when that might be. So your wait might be stretched ...
I mailed them and in then the ball finally got rolling and the book arrived a few weeks later.
I just couldn't wait anymore.
in dub we trust
sentenza
Amphetamine Filth

Thanks Koen,

I'll take your piece of advise. Cheers my friend !
"this is the revenge of the fuckwit"
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It's a great book but there could have been more, much more, about the disintegration of Von's relationship with Claire. Why?

Because a recurring theme throughout the book was the disintegration of Von's relationships with people and this was the big relationship behind everything, about the disintegration of which almost nothing was said.

Because it provided the inspiration for 'Nine While Nine', one of the best songs on FALAA.

Because it could have given further insight into Von's health problems at the time: was Claire a factor?

Because more generally, how did Eldritch's romantic relationship with Claire, and its collapse, affect The Sisters? And its collapse?

Because they're still friends. Very good friends as I understand, after all this time. She must have some really interesting things to say about the entire evolution of The Sisters and, by implication, her relationship (in the most general sense) with Eldritch. Huge missed opportunity there.

Let's not forget this. Claire was number one in Eldritch's Floodland Thank You list. I'm sure she contributed nothing to the album and he was just thanking her for existing. If so, it's a sentiment I understand all too well.
Last edited by XidiouX on 25 Dec 2021, 00:07, edited 7 times in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

XidiouX wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 19:32 It's a great book but there could have been more, much more, about the disintegration of Von's relationship with Claire. Why?
There's a whole story about Josie Warden and Brian Moss from Vicious Pink that's never really come out either, and is all connected up with this. Brian is allegedly the person who beat up Von, leading to the iron bar up his sleeve, and/or the bandaged face in early 85 shows, and/or the cracked ribs at RAH - it's never been entirely clear.

It is probably a sleeping dog that's best left to lie, however. I'm not sure that the details would be pleasant for anybody.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
XidiouX

I agree, the details may not be pleasant. However they may be important and necessary to complete the picture.
czuczu
Overbomber

A lot of the Claire stuff is between the lines of the tour detail, her absence from the day to day and working the sound elsewhere..
XidiouX

Only the author can confirm that possibility definitively. My impression is that the aim of this project was to be as explicit and exhaustive as possible.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

I thought about this too. But I think it’s probably too intimate and none of our business what happened between them. Since Mark Andrews says Claire was a key factor in writing the book at all I think she probably determined what she wanted to read in it and what not. I think we should respect that.
bar
Road Kill

I hope the author writes another book about the period from 1987 to 1993,that would make for a great read as well.
GC
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 20:26
XidiouX wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 19:32 It's a great book but there could have been more, much more, about the disintegration of Von's relationship with Claire. Why?
There's a whole story about Josie Warden and Brian Moss from Vicious Pink that's never really come out either, and is all connected up with this. Brian is allegedly the person who beat up Von, leading to the iron bar up his sleeve, and/or the bandaged face in early 85 shows, and/or the cracked ribs at RAH - it's never been entirely clear.

It is probably a sleeping dog that's best left to lie, however. I'm not sure that the details would be pleasant for anybody.
kind of agree... but the details of Craig and Wayne's actions are quite detailed...why not then for AE?
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Guess I should start by saying, overall it's top notch work, Mr Andrews! The level of the writing matches the Quietus articles - and then some. Happy the book came through with such high a standard! :)
"It’s a commonly held view that Eldritch these days is a much more agreeable fellow than Eldritch of the 1980s.

I don’t regret anything, but I’m sure other people regret stuff where I was present." - Von with MAndrews

"[Von] knows better than I do that he was not a good man to be around by 1984-85. With Von you forgive a lot, I know." - Gary Marx to MAndrews
Should tell you something. I'm sure MAndrews could've provided with a scathing, if reasonably accurate portrayal of Von during those years. Heaven knows the wee man provided enough factual cannon fodder. Do the math; he had broken up with a very special lady and was a local ascending rock star, all torn up inside and seeking temporary comfort here and there. When jealous and very serious manly men came around, it was a bad time for him to love a good argument.

Without knowing what he knows, I always felt it was curious of him to downplay his past, as in, 'Yeah, I did my thing and my reasoning of the events and my personal motivations absolve me - others aren't as lucky'. Chris(?) said it well once, 'Von doesn't look in that direction.' Either, he's done the heavy lifting later in life (we may hope), or he's still ashamed of the memory of the person he was, and would rather keep atoning himself than relive his past digressions on the record. Who knows.

The unrepentant rock star shtick has been around a long time. It's probably something Andy Taylor needs to function as Von. How he feels behind the mask may well be a different story than the one he chooses to pass around. One thing I'm fairly sure of (without knowing the man personally), there's still plenty enough of Andy Taylor there to forgive Von... a lot.
klaher
Road Kill

MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

There have suddenly been lots of books about the m*****n and The Sisters come out in the last few years.

Which ones do people recommend the most? My bookshelves can't cope with buying them all!!!
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

MoBetaBlues wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:28 There have suddenly been lots of books about the m*****n and The Sisters come out in the last few years.

Which ones do people recommend the most? My bookshelves can't cope with buying them all!!!
Ummm... why has the *That Guitarist* band name been deleted out??? Is it considered to be too rude for myheartland? Sorry if I've caused any offense! :urff:
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

MoBetaBlues wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:31
MoBetaBlues wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:28 There have suddenly been lots of books about the m*****n and The Sisters come out in the last few years.

Ummm... why has the *That Guitarist* band name been deleted out??? Is it considered to be too rude for myheartland? Sorry if I've caused any offense! :urff:
Okay.... I've just seen that *W.... H....* has been censored too!

I think I should stop talking before you throw me out :eek: 8)
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

MoBetaBlues wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:33
MoBetaBlues wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 12:31

Okay.... I've just seen that *W.... H....* has been censored too!

I think I should stop talking before you throw me out :eek: 8)
sorry guys...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The censor/filter on Wayne and his band are just a bit of an in-joke. We love him dearly, really.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

How could it be worse? m*****n! m*****n! m*****n!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

mh wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 16:22 Image

How could it be worse? m*****n! m*****n! m*****n!
He's a very naughty boy!
MoBetaBlues
Road Kill

markfiend wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 14:11 The censor/filter on Wayne and his band are just a bit of an in-joke. We love him dearly, really.
Ah, I see. He is the Yoko Ono of gothic rock?
Andi K
Road Kill

Although being a long time member here, and a long time Sisters Fan as well, ( with some longer breaks inbetween) , I never posted much in here. (I was more active in the good old Dominion days) But after reading Mark Andrews excellent book, however, I have to express my respect and outmost appreciation of Mark Andrews book and his work behind it! Such comprehensive and detailed chronicle of the Sisters rise from 80 - 85 is just outstanding. Such a full insight view into the bands inner circle is everything a hardcore Sisters Fan ever wanted to know. . And I must say I fully respect that the book only touches slightly the personal relationship of Andy and Claire. More and deeper details would be like the yellow press about the royal family and would not respect the private life of both. Although it is a zillion years ago, it is still an existing relationship of two people, which should stay private. Therefore I absolutely understand and like that the book is not digging further into yellow press area.
I am also curious if the "White Rose Babylon PDF" which is some kind of extended footnotes to the book, is available for purchase at Unbound? It was part of a pledge option, but is no longer available. I would love to read these extended footnotes as well!
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Andi K wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:15 Although being a long time member here, and a long time Sisters Fan as well, ( with some longer breaks inbetween) , I never posted much in here. (I was more active in the good old Dominion days) But after reading Mark Andrews excellent book, however, I have to express my respect and outmost appreciation of Mark Andrews book and his work behind it! Such comprehensive and detailed chronicle of the Sisters rise from 80 - 85 is just outstanding. Such a full insight view into the bands inner circle is everything a hardcore Sisters Fan ever wanted to know. . And I must say I fully respect that the book only touches slightly the personal relationship of Andy and Claire. More and deeper details would be like the yellow press about the royal family and would not respect the private life of both. Although it is a zillion years ago, it is still an existing relationship of two people, which should stay private. Therefore I absolutely understand and like that the book is not digging further into yellow press area.
I am also curious if the "White Rose Babylon PDF" which is some kind of extended footnotes to the book, is available for purchase at Unbound? It was part of a pledge option, but is no longer available. I would love to read these extended footnotes as well!
I think the White Rose Babylon PDF's time has come and gone. I'm stealing the title for next book.
elenchus
Road Kill

MAndrews wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 17:35
I think the White Rose Babylon PDF's time has come and gone. I'm stealing the title for next book.
Next book!

Enjoyed PMNiBaG, concur with the other positive comments here.

Curious what came of the curated playlist mentioned at Unbound? I never received a link or message about it, and looking on Spotify found only a selection of TSOM tracks. I understood the playlist would feature some of the many Leeds bands mentioned in the book, was looking forward to that.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

elenchus wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 00:12
MAndrews wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 17:35
Next book!

Enjoyed PMNiBaG, concur with the other positive comments here.

Curious what came of the curated playlist mentioned at Unbound? I never received a link or message about it, and looking on Spotify found only a selection of TSOM tracks. I understood the playlist would feature some of the many Leeds bands mentioned in the book, was looking forward to that.
The playlist was for certain pledge levels beyond the regular hardback. A link should have been sent to those pledgers back in November
z666
Amphetamine Filth

And do you have any info about the pending shipments, Mark? It's been a while.