Has Chris quit The Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

So looks like the rumours of Chris not playing for the Sisters this year for some or all of the gigs could be true.

According to his twitter:

'I aren’t doing those gigs later this year. I’m sure it’ll be grand though.'
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

I'm assuming it's alright to talk about now it's on his Twitter... He said the guy replacing him is "very good". I'll be sad if Chris is gone for good, but interested to see what sort of difference this makes.
majorsixth
Road Kill

Chris is also selling off some of his Sisters gear.
https://www.facebook.com/chriscatalyst/ ... 2859795720

Gonna miss his presence in the Sisters a lot if he'll be gone for good, he's been brilliant and in the band as long as I've known them.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

d0gbones wrote:I'm assuming it's alright to talk about now it's on his Twitter... He said the guy replacing him is "very good". I'll be sad if Chris is gone for good, but interested to see what sort of difference this makes.
Yeah, Chris seems like a grand lad, i'll miss him too if that's it, he's been a great addition to the Sisters over the years, even actually getting some sort of Sisters social media going for a time there! :lol: :notworthy:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I prefer to see this positively, :von: is now forced to get more active with the Sisters, instead of letting Chris do most of the job. And he already has (live news updates so far, always something, at least for a Sisters fan :lol: )

I think this is a good change, assuming the new guy is good.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Whether is permanent (assuming from selling backline) or just because simple collision of dates (which we already knew), it's gonna be interesting. Yet, Chris was the one who brought enthusiasm, freshness and not-knowing to us being with touch with us - China Fire Wall has changed into shrubberies ... but now it's gone. Tw@er is dead, for example.

Anyhow, looking forward.
Last edited by Bartek on 01 Jun 2019, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

euphoria wrote:I prefer to see this positively, :von: is now forced to get more active with the Sisters, instead of letting Chris do most of the job. And he already has (live news updates so far, always something, at least for a Sisters fan :lol: )

I think this is a good change, assuming the new guy is good.
Oh yes - didn't mean this in a negative way, not at all, just that i liked Chris a lot.
Looking forward to seeing the changes! :D
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Charlie wrote: Oh yes - didn't mean this in a negative way, not at all, just that i liked Chris a lot.
I didn't mean that as a remark to what you wrote :)

My main reason to be positive is that Chris has taken charge of issues in a way that seems to have made :von: a bit reluctant to take an active role in the band, to put it nicely.
Pista
Cureboi

I've split this from the 2019 board as it seems like a worthy separate discussion.
Albeit a very sad one if true :(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:I've split this from the 2019 board as it seems like a worthy separate discussion.
Albeit a very sad one if true :(
I thought i was going mad, i'm like "I'm sure i didn't create this thread - did i...?!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

You did now :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Word I heard was that Chris didn't want to do a Sisters tour until next year, because of commitments to the Other Band, but Von wasn't willing to wait, so hence he's not doing this tour. Is it permanent? Don't know.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

d0gbones wrote:I'm assuming it's alright to talk about now it's on his Twitter... He said the guy replacing him is "very good".
His replacement already does a solid drum n' bass. :P
mh
Above the Chemist

copper wrote:
d0gbones wrote:I'm assuming it's alright to talk about now it's on his Twitter... He said the guy replacing him is "very good".
His replacement already does a solid drum n' bass. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's just bad. :twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Yup, but anyhoo - big respect for Chris for all he's done for the band over the years. Quick math suggests Chris clocked up as many years of service as Mr Whammy and, with Ben, maintained the steadiest lineup in the bands history. Add up all he's done over the years, starting with making the live gear more transportable, and you have a big reason why the band continues to exist to this day.

Thank you and good luck, Chris, you did all you could and then some.
ww23
Road Kill

Good news. I was never really fond of his Rockstar moves on stage which are now also part of Ghost where the old guitarists (Alpha, Omega) did fit better as well than his poses.
Also I think the Sisters guitarists from a few years (Pearson, Starling) back also had more songwriting input that Andrew liked.
What songs did Chris bring? Arms probably (?) which is a good one, the Miserlou cover I found abysmal and I think they never got a great guitar sound for the old tracks like Amphetamine Logic, FALAA etc in recent years but that may also be how Eldritch wanted it.
Looking forward to the new guy.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote:Word I heard was that Chris didn't want to do a Sisters tour until next year, because of commitments to the Other Band, but Von wasn't willing to wait, so hence he's not doing this tour. Is it permanent? Don't know.
Good point. He wouldn't be the first guitarists to leave for some time and return later. If he really shouldn't want to play with The Sisters anymore, that's fully understandable. With time, it has become ever less of a challenge ... Anyway, I'm looking forward to all that is to come. A little change won't do no harm ... ;D ;D ;D ...
copper wrote:[...] ...big respect for Chris for all he's done for the band over the years. Quick math suggests Chris clocked up as many years of service as Mr Whammy and, with Ben, maintained the steadiest lineup in the bands history. Add up all he's done over the years, starting with making the live gear more transportable, and you have a big reason why the band continues to exist to this day.

Thank you and good luck, Chris, you did all you could and then some.
Fully seconded... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
czuczu
Overbomber

Chris is a sweetheart and will be missed. At this point in the game, I don't think anything is going to make much of a difference. Happy for him if he's found greener grass :)
Swinnow
Overbomber

Someone else to do the increasingly prominent backing vocals?

Good luck Chris, see you in Halifax
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Oh poo. He is such a lovely chap. Hope things are good with and without him.

Will be a very interesting tour indeed....
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

At least there is a replacement it seems. Some things will improve, some will not. As always since late 83.
Just dont bring in metal guy. Robert smith is on tour also, damn
love is just a shot away
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

No No No, if i ain't official, it ain't happening! 😁
See?
http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen/biog.htm
iesus
Overbomber

2019 June 22 Clisson France Hell Fest

20 days to know about this :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

jost 7 wrote:At least there is a replacement it seems. Some things will improve, some will not. As always since late 83.
Just dont bring in metal guy. Robert smith is on tour also, damn
Pat Metheny?
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote:At this point in the game, I don't think anything is going to make much of a difference.
Fair point, the Sisters have lasted far longer than anyone expected, partly by turning into a successful pure nostalgia act the last 10 years (no criticism, especially not of Chris, just a matter of fact).
My faint hope is that we can now turn back the clock to at least 2009 when Arms was premiered and lyrics to Far Parade published - after that, any development has stopped completely. At least one new song, or even Far Parade, would be great to hear.
Although given that nostalgia is more successful I'm not holding my breath.