Has Chris quit The Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to."

Surely the above, has to be a reference to a lack of recording by the Sisters?

Maybe there have been demos recorded over the last 14 years which led Chris to believe that a record would eventually be forthcoming but now he finally accepts that it will never happen & he's decided that the nostalgia circuit for 2 months every two years, just isn't enough for him?
Give me one good reason
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote:"how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to."

I thought "need to" referred to money - Andrew can live off the Sisters only, Chris cannot.
That's not saying Chris is satisfied with the lack of Sisters creativity, but honestly he has known that for at least 10 years and also has his own projects (EM etc.)
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Spiggy's hat wrote:"how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to."

Maybe there have been demos recorded over the last 14 years which led Chris to believe that a record would eventually be forthcoming but now he finally accepts that it will never happen & he's decided that the nostalgia circuit for 2 months every two years, just isn't enough for him?
I do believe any chance of a new album has been ruled out long ago. But add to that Vons non-interest of playing any news songs live anymore, something they actually used to do, must kill the creativity in the long run. And Chris have REALLY been patient.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Latest Bookmakers odds for new TSOM guitarist
- Mac Book adds guitar to bass and drums 2/1 on
- Von takes on guitar duties himself 8/1
- Mark Gemini-Thwaite 10/1
- Wolfie 20/1
- Choque Hosein 25/1
- Return of Adam Pearson 50/1
- Return of Gary Marx 100/1
- Anne Widdecombe 250/1
- Return of Wayne H.ussey with Craig Adams on bass 500/1
Brad

I'm offended I wasn't even asked ;) lol
DasPerltAber

I have seen this one coming a very long time ago. After seeing playing Chris playing mayor arenas, probably getting a bigger pay check after every gig and having a chance of recording some new stuff..properly...I can't blame him. The guy is a really creative person...however within The Sisters...he is stuck within a rut. There is not going to be any new stuff suitable coming for this band coming from Ben...neither will there be any new input from Chris....We know it..the band knows it....So the only other option is to get someone really new in...as unfortunately..Andy
DasPerltAber

I have seen this one coming a very long time ago. After seeing playing Chris playing mayor arenas, probably getting a bigger pay check after every gig and having a chance of recording some new stuff..properly...I can't blame him. The guy is a really creative person...however within The Sisters...he is stuck within a rut. There is not going to be any new stuff suitable coming for this band coming from Ben...neither will there be any new input from Chris....We know it..the band knows it....So the only other option is to get someone really new in...as unfortunately..Andy
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

DasPerltAber wrote:There is not going to be any new stuff suitable coming for this band coming from Ben...neither will there be any new input from Chris....We know it..the band knows it....So the only other option is to get someone really new in
I can't help but comment on this, slightly off-topic but quite interesting. Real chances for releases, or even new songs, 20 years ago aside, can it be that Pearson connected particularly well with Von when it comes to songwriting? He felt very much on par with :von: during his time in the Sisters. I have never had that feeling with Ben or Chris. I don't expect creativity now at this late stage regardless of who comes in, but this is something I've thought about sometimes. For example I am certain that Ben and/or Chris finished their parts to Far Parade 10 years ago. So why isn't it played? Is the reason that the music is not "suitable"? I wouldn't be surprised if that is how Von sees it.
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Is "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" some kind of hint?
Probably not, but still...
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
DasPerltAber

Don't get me wrong..Ben is an enthusiastic guitarist ..and he loves his 80's hard rock/metal. Chris is even more enthusiastic and he is into a broader array of music and likes to expand his musical horizon constantly. However..like, probably, most of us we like prefer our guitarists in a proper Sisters way. For some of us this means markI, some prefer the incarnation with Wayne..some the one with James/Bruhn/Bricheno..or even later incarnations. For me, being an old fart, things went downhill when the Ben/Chris combo hit the stage. In my humble opinion...this had very little to do with the music I once completely fell in love with. Yeah...Lucretia kicks ass every single night..yet that utterly bastard groovy feeling has now evaporated..unless one lays down a long white line.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Must admit I was more of a few pints and a sly bang on a spliff type of guy whether it was the Gary/Craig/Ben line up through to the Chris/Ben version.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Might there be a Near Meth show in Leeds before Hellfest?

Safe hands... Again, would love Marx, but likeliest is some Leeds-based (un)known guitarist, without a history with the band. Or one of the roadies.
Spiggy's hat

sam donut wrote:Is "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" some kind of hint?
I thought that that was a really odd parting comment, coming after the point about the different work ethic/need to work, between Chris & Von.

"It's time to return to life outside the Sisters but I may be back some day", sounds more diplomatic then "our desire to work isn't concordant".
Give me one good reason
Depprocksfarfar

sam donut wrote:Is "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" some kind of hint?
IF It's a clue, the most likely person returning would be Tony James, hence the famous picture "Judas leaves the Sisters". But then again...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I guess that "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" is simply bacause TSOM put a stamp, because of such legend behind band. Once you were in TSOM it will be always mentioned by journalists.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:I guess that "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" is simply bacause TSOM put a stamp, because of such legend behind band. Once you were in TSOM it will be always mentioned by journalists.
Indeed. Gary, Wayne and Patricia in particular still get as many mentions for being in the Sisters as they do for their own things by journalists and us I guess too.
The Chancer Corporation
GC
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote:
Bartek wrote:I guess that "Nobody really ever leaves The Sisters" is simply bacause TSOM put a stamp, because of such legend behind band. Once you were in TSOM it will be always mentioned by journalists.
Indeed. Gary, Wayne and Patricia in particular still get as many mentions for being in the Sisters as they do for their own things by journalists and us I guess too.
I think the difference being that Gary, Wayne and Patricia were part of the Sisters during their time as a productive, charting band.......after 1993 who is in the band is of no impotance to anyone outside their hardcore base.
They were also successful in their own right.....the rest not so.
czuczu
Overbomber

GC wrote:..after 1985 who is in the band is of no impotance to anyone outside their hardcore base.
:innocent:
Being645
Above the Chemist

GC wrote:
abridged wrote:
I think the difference being that Gary, Wayne and Patricia were part of the Sisters during their time as a productive, charting band.......after 1993 who is in the band is of no impotance to anyone outside their hardcore base.
Can't agree to that ... just have a look at the tour schedules over the past decades! There are so many places
where The Sisters played to enthusiastic and welcoming audiences without any of the above being present.

Beyond that, Chris and Ben are reknown for being part of The Sisters and for their guitar work with the band.
That's not just nothing. Everybody knows they can rock!

During all this time, both (and even the nurse) have run their own projects.
Who else did that before? And without leaving?

Also, some hardcore fanbase would surely not sell out gigs each tour ...

Of course, the record industry might time and again take a nostalgic look back on those times, when bands
were fully under their control and had to deliver a record (and profits) each year.

I for one am glad we've got over with that millennium ... :wink: ... though obviously, a lot remains to be done ... :innocent: ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote: During all this time, both (and even the nurse) have run their own projects.
Von?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

The Sisters, as ever, attract a committed but somewhat polarised audience. There are some that see virtually no wrong in whatever they do and others that see a band that, on occasion, can still cut it. I guess I fall in the latter grouping. Memories of tours since 2000 are largely based on seeing rarely seen old friends or going to eclectic choices of venue, e.g. Leamington Spa or Liverpool Olympia, rather than magical gig moments. Now and again there might be something like a stunning go ar Rain From Heaven but they seem rarer over the years. I may be a "cynical scouse get" who wants more variation and more old time interaction with the audience but I'll be in that London (again) and I'll be on the lookout for NME tip off's next week too. A habit I can't shake? Maybe I like seeing old friends?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote: During all this time, both (and even the nurse) have run their own projects.
Von?
SSV? Oh yes, poor, poor eastwest ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
GC wrote:
abridged wrote: Indeed. Gary, Wayne and Patricia in particular still get as many mentions for being in the Sisters as they do for their own things by journalists and us I guess too.
Can't agree to that ... just have a look at the tour schedules over the past decades! There are so many places
where The Sisters played to enthusiastic and welcoming audiences without any of the above being present.

Beyond that, Chris and Ben are reknown for being part of The Sisters and for their guitar work with the band.

Of course, the record industry might time and again take a nostalgic look back on those times, when bands
were fully under their control and had to deliver a record (and profits) each year.

I for one am glad we've got over with that millennium ... :wink: ... though obviously, a lot remains to be done ... :innocent: ...
My comment was n't a criticism of The Sisters...I believe that Mr Whammy, Chris Starling, Mike etc are very much Sisters DNA. The only difference being that there was a fascination with the early Sisters biography. Wayne and Craig with the m*****n achieved their own succes and Patricia in the chart topping days was as much a frontperson as AE.

As for relevance today...they are very relevant due to their back catalogue which is still magical to myself and many other 40+.
Being645
Above the Chemist

GC wrote:
Being645 wrote:
GC wrote: I think the difference being that Gary, Wayne and Patricia were part of the Sisters during their time as a productive, charting band.......after 1993 who is in the band is of no impotance to anyone outside their hardcore base.

My comment was n't a criticism of The Sisters...I believe that Mr Whammy, Chris Starling, Mike etc are very much Sisters DNA. The only difference being that there was a fascination with the early Sisters biography. Wayne and Craig with the m*****n achieved their own succes and Patricia in the chart topping days was as much a frontperson as AE.

As for relevance today...they are very relevant due to their back catalogue which is still magical to myself and many other 40+.
I don't mind criticism of The Sisters. Everybody knows there are lots of hardcore nostalgics with every band in the world. And forgivably so ... it's a matter of the heart, isn't it?
However, judgements like "is of no impotence for anyone but ..."
I don't think so. And it to me it tastes a bit derogatory ... but maybe, it's only a typo ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Facts:
1. Yes, TSOM played in various locations never played before, in Europe: Russia, Estonia, in Asia: Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Japan, it's all true, but
2. during last 15 years we got only two new song in setlist, I'm deliberatly excluding cover because it's not their material, so from artistic point of view, and from our point of view - followers - band is inactive; what they did or did not scribbled and played on rehearsals it's their business - nothing saw light of day, never was played live thus it's not exist. That's why, even taking songs written and played after 1993, it's still can be considered as nostalgia act.