Has Chris quit The Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

czuczu wrote:Wasn't Tim offered the job again at some point in the 00s? Turned it down..
Yes, that's why Adam came back

Don't replace Chris, one guitar, maximise profits. After all its only fun.
Goths have feelings too
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

:von: could do this my himself - with Rock Band guitar style it's even easier.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
Bartek wrote:
markfiend wrote:This is what happens when you book a load of dates before checking whether your guitarist can actually play them.
You think/know that's the case?
Just guessing ;D
Good guess though
czuczu
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Don't replace Chris, one guitar, maximise profits. After all its only fun.
Ditch both guitars and get a couple of dancers.
Pista
Cureboi

:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Bartek wrote:I took that picture.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Update from Chris via the Twitters:

Also, a few people have been asking: I’m not doing the dates with The Sisters this year, due to a conflict of schedules. It’s not for me to say who they’ve got in, but I can tell you you’re in safe hands. Will I be back? Who knows. I don’t burn bridges, so we’ll see. X
I’ve had some great times with The Sisters and I will always have a loyalty to Andrew for giving me my first ‘proper’ gig, and a lot of amazing experiences. But things move at different paces, and how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to.
But as I said to him, I am happy to remain ‘on-call’ for the future, and I absolutely wish them all the best. I’ve got a funny feeling I’ll pop up again at some point. X
Pista
Cureboi

Charlie wrote:Update from Chris via the Twitters:

Also, a few people have been asking: I’m not doing the dates with The Sisters this year, due to a conflict of schedules. It’s not for me to say who they’ve got in, but I can tell you you’re in safe hands. Will I be back? Who knows. I don’t burn bridges, so we’ll see. X
I’ve had some great times with The Sisters and I will always have a loyalty to Andrew for giving me my first ‘proper’ gig, and a lot of amazing experiences. But things move at different paces, and how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to.
But as I said to him, I am happy to remain ‘on-call’ for the future, and I absolutely wish them all the best. I’ve got a funny feeling I’ll pop up again at some point. X
:(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Ah, beaten to it. so its pretty permanent then. Fuck. :(

Thanks Chris for all you brought to the band. the longest serving non-Von after the Dok deserves our love and youve got it. :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :notworthy:

always,
Lee 8) :bat:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:

Ah, beaten to it. so its pretty permanent then. Fuck. :(

Thanks Chris for all you brought to the band. the longest serving non-Von after the Dok deserves our love and youve got it. :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :notworthy:

always,
Lee 8) :bat:
Second that. :(
x
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So Chris is moving to a "twelfth-man" position because Von wants to... play too many gigs?

But I thought Von was a lazy bastard
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

He's one of the best. Hopefully won't have to miss him for too long. I wish him permanent happiness.
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

H. Blackrose wrote:So Chris is moving to a "twelfth-man" position because Von wants to... play too many gigs?

It's not even close that situation, Ghost are on tour since begining of June 'till the end of October. Simple, as Chris put it, conflict of schedules.

Farewell Chris, you did an amazing job. Thank you for years with TSOM. :notworthy: :kiss:
Swinnow
Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote:So Chris is moving to a "twelfth-man" position because Von wants to... play too many gigs?

I think you need to re-read Chris' words, this time with your eyes open. :?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote: It's not even close that situation, Ghost are on tour since begining of June 'till the end of October.
Playing the devil's advocate here; even IF :von: is not the best manager in the world - Chris must have understood that such a huge tour is very likely going to collide with any upcoming Sisters tour when he accepted the offer from Ghost. Whether he informed :von: at that time and what/if :von: replied is anyone's guess.
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:Image

:innocent:
Wait, wait, wait...are you saying Dr. Avalanche quit as well!?!?!? :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

euphoria wrote:
Bartek wrote: It's not even close that situation, Ghost are on tour since begining of June 'till the end of October.
Playing the devil's advocate here; even IF :von: is not the best manager in the world - Chris must have understood that such a huge tour is very likely going to collide with any upcoming Sisters tour when he accepted the offer from Ghost. Whether he informed :von: at that time and what/if :von: replied is anyone's guess.
That's other side of the story.

On the other hand, what we know, according to what we've been told, is that Chris asked to postpone tour untill 2020 and reply was: no.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:
euphoria wrote:
That's other side of the story.

On the other hand, what we know, according to what we've been told, is that Chris asked to postpone tour untill 2020 and reply was: no.
My take on what Chris said is that for the sake of his career he doesn't want his main band one that only works for a couple of months once every two years. At the moment Ghost are a bigger band than the Sisters, tour a lot more and actually release records.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I am disappoint.
ribbons69 wrote:...for the sake of his career he doesn't want his main band one that only works for a couple of months once every two years...
Yes, that's how I read it too. And to be fair, who can blame him? It must be incredibly frustrating for someone I've seen described as "the busiest musician in Leeds" to work with someone with Eldritch's work ethic.

Oh well, I guess the Sisters will limp on without Chris.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Chris said that, just in different words:
Chris wrote:But things move at different paces, and how much he wants to work isn’t concordant with how much I want and need to.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote: On the other hand, what we know, according to what we've been told, is that Chris asked to postpone tour untill 2020 and reply was: no.
Yes, but what would you have replied, given that Chris has found a new job bringing him more money, and let's take a wild guess, more satisfaction? Every future tour with the Sisters would have been dictated by Ghost and possibly other employers.

Yesterday I would have agreed with the simple explanation that this is only down to Von's bad management. Looking at the size and length of the Ghost tour however, I understand that Chris simply has found a better job that the Sisters can never match, and when I think about it further, Von didn't have much choice.

It's nobody's fault in my opinion, it's just a typical job change/career for someone who is very sought after.

Edit: I see everyone agrees more or less :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I desperatly want to change my job after 4+ yrs, so no wonder after 14+ - it's more than natural. :lol:
Not to mention, mentioned: work for Ghost and seeing how Big Machine (and having a Chance to see how Monstrous Machine, aka Metallica) works, recording in proper studios - simply evolving, and building his name and fame, very little of us could throw it away (not to mention possible contractural obligations).
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Exactly.

Really my only point it this:
Chris made the right decision, BUT :von: also made the right decision.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Well it's moved everyone's thoughts from our Wayne's book :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....