NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DJW
Road Kill

iesus wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 11:32
DJW wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 11:04 .. a very un-Sisters key change ...
What do you mean exactly?
I’m not musically trained so my musical terminology is probably wide of the mark but the brief lead guitar shift from minor to major key just sounded quite unusual for the sisters (in a good way - I like it).
sultan2075
Overbomber

I've been listening to the new tracks as I've been slogging through final exams and term papers over the last few days, and I have to say, they are complete and total earworms, to the point where am waking up with them running through my head.

It would be a real shame for them not see a proper release.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
iesus
Overbomber

Another one from Tobias, to have while we are waiting ;D

Thank you Tobias :notworthy: :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Wilkstein
Road Kill

She's a Monster debuted in Madrid.
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 18:32 I've been listening to the new tracks as I've been slogging through final exams and term papers over the last few days, and I have to say, they are complete and total earworms, to the point where am waking up with them running through my head.

Totally agree!

I have the same experience, and with some (most) of them, it only took a single listen.

I think these are among the best songs the band has ever come up with, in stark contrast to e.g. Arms, Still, Slept etc (I love e.g. Romeo Down and Summer, that was also a good period for new material, but not as intense).
Yggdrasil

Todashi wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 13:03The entire back catalogue has been tweaked with new sounds and occasionally new rhythms etc, and in addition, most of the new songs sound remarkably finished.
Agree. And everything sounds so much better with the pre-recorded actual (physical) bass guitar lines instead of that strangely soft-sounding synth bass from past years. I think this is the best they've sounded since 1991 (I liked the Mr. Whammy period, too, but this material is much better).
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

so 'the gift that keeps on giving' has just given again!! that makes for 7 new previously unheard songs revealed to the world just on this one tour. which makes for many happy Heartlanders at least; and it seems fairly across the board happines for the higher end of the fanbase in general. of course there is still the lower end of the 'fanbase' (i use that word loosely as some of these peoples strike me as borderline Sisters-haters) where the newsest slagging off of the band is that the set is full of new songs which nobody knows because there has been no new album, and therefore unaware fans are being ripped off as they will be going to hear stuff they know!
there will never be any pleasing some people. fuck 'em. :twisted: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Well people, who go there expecting mosty old songs are far away even from FB and therefore just casual consumers responsible for their choices by themselves.
Last edited by Being645 on 01 May 2022, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

Some of the clips I've seen give the lie to that, anyway. There seems to have been a very immediate response to most of the new songs, rather that the usual chin-stroking and critical gaze.

The main thing that jumps at me is the level of confidence in the band. They're good, they know they're good, they know they're sitting on strong material, and the presentation is finally starting to reach to it's potential.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 01 May 2022, 12:06 so 'the gift that keeps on giving' has just given again!! that makes for 7 new previously unheard songs revealed to the world just on this one tour. which makes for many happy Heartlanders at least; and it seems fairly across the board happines for the higher end of the fanbase in general. of course there is still the lower end of the 'fanbase' (i use that word loosely as some of these peoples strike me as borderline Sisters-haters) where the newsest slagging off of the band is that the set is full of new songs which nobody knows because there has been no new album, and therefore unaware fans are being ripped off as they will be going to hear stuff they know!
there will never be any pleasing some people. fuck 'em. :twisted: :von:
Fk em? You'd have to peel them away from their mother's tits first :lol: Cannon-fodder.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Yggdrasil

mh wrote: 01 May 2022, 13:28 Some of the clips I've seen give the lie to that, anyway. There seems to have been a very immediate response to most of the new songs, rather that the usual chin-stroking and critical gaze.

The main thing that jumps at me is the level of confidence in the band. They're good, they know they're good, they know they're sitting on strong material, and the presentation is finally starting to reach to it's potential.
100% agree.

I've yet to see them on this tour, but judging from the tapes and the videos, it also sounds like the super quiet PA problem of recent past tours has been addressed.
Todashi

I've been listening to the full list of new songs in a playlist once or twice a day for the last month, and I've gotta say, they're really grown on me. Strangely I've started to find that the lyrics in the songs that I originally found . . . odd have actually really started to just sound 'right.'

There's a big lyrical difference between the older material and the new songs. It's interesting to experience them bedding in.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Yggdrasil wrote: 01 May 2022, 03:24 I think this is the best they've sounded since 1991 (I liked the Mr. Whammy period, too, but this material is much better).
I've only had a chance to hear them live on Youtube since I think the last Los Angeles show was... hrmm... I can't even remember.

But just based on Youtube, while I'm not happy with what appears to be less smoke, they sound tighter than they have in quite awhile.

I guess I can always chain smoke during their set to get more smoke, that could help, or not.

I haven't posted here in eons, don't even remember what my avatar is. But well, I assumed Facebook would have this forum nearly dead like so many others. Go figure... it didn't.
Pista
Cureboi

Deviancy wrote: 06 May 2022, 16:27
I haven't posted here in eons, don't even remember what my avatar is. But well, I assumed Facebook would have this forum nearly dead like so many others. Go figure... it didn't.
Farcebook can bite our industrial groovy mechanical arse 😁
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Like the band, HL thrives on a diet of broken hopes, stale dreams, and the contents of cans of flat warm beer that someone has put cigarettes out in.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Pista wrote: 06 May 2022, 18:06
Deviancy wrote: 06 May 2022, 16:27
Farcebook can bite our industrial groovy mechanical arse 😁
Chris Catalyst: "You must be Heartlanders."
Me: "Yeah, how could you tell?"
Chris Catalyst: "Because you're intelligent..."
Me: "Are you saying there are some Sisters fans who aren't intelligent?"
Chris Catalyst: "No...I'm saying there are some Sisters fans who aren't Heartlanders." :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 06 May 2022, 18:06 [Farcebook can bite our industrial groovy mechanical arse 😁
It has one plus side, just one.

Eye candy without the need to ask.

I do like to window shop, or even barter goods once in awhile. Other than that, it's rather dull and lacking in a way I can't explain.

But to get back on topic...

I'm really enjoying the new videos popping up on Youtube, despite the lack of smoke. There's something radically different from when I saw them in 2005, which is when I saw them last (found the ticket stub). A few have said they should give it up and that tribute bands sound better, those people I imagine aren't here, and have mental health issues.
Wyrd Sister
Road Kill

Deviancy wrote: 06 May 2022, 23:25 A few have said they should give it up and that tribute bands sound better, those people I imagine aren't here, and have mental health issues.
We can jest about their opinions without using mental health 'issues' as a derogative, surely.
Much too young but far too old, to be all cranked up with nowhere to go
Being645
Above the Chemist

Brogue wrote: 07 May 2022, 07:06
Deviancy wrote: 06 May 2022, 23:25 A few have said they should give it up and that tribute bands sound better, those people I imagine aren't here, and have mental health issues.
We can jest about their opinions without using mental health 'issues' as a derogative, surely.
Seconded, and even more so, if they aren't here... :wink: ...
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Brogue wrote: 07 May 2022, 07:06 We can jest about their opinions without using mental health 'issues' as a derogative, surely.
Surely a forum dedicated to a man who once said he wanted to put the heads of other musicians on pikes, hasn't gone PC, has it? For the record, it never did make sense. He booted Sunshine Blind, who sounded more like Pat Benatar than goth, then was ok with Switchblade Symphony, while they sounded like a second rate/clearance bin goth band.

However, I do have to agree, I shouldn't have gone with "mental health" and should have just said they suffer from p*ss poor taste in music.

Anywho, found the setting to get white on black when it comes to the forum. Black on white strains my eyes in such a way I need to pop pain meds. With that being said, I have to take back what I said about Facebook only having one good thing about it, Facebook a year or two back did give one the option to go white on black instead of black on white, so I have to give it two points rather than one. Wow, it really is so much easier to read posts with just one small change.
godgirl

godgirl wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:05
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 00:38
Dust Witch wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 23:30

This is true. And tbf, some are so bad, they're brilliant.
however there are multitudinous poseurs artistes and lesser musicians who would love a good photo opportunity and a chance to be shortlisted for a Knobbly Peas Prize without endangering the Industrial Groove Machine.... send ALL of them and keep The Sisters Safe
This is a genius idea! Maybe Bruce Dickinson wants to go again?

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron- ... ble-story/

(I read about it in his autobiography, which I mostly bought because I'd not packed enough reading for a weekend away and it was cheap in the local Asda...)

I can think of a lot of more suitable candidates though.. let's send Ian Brown, Right Said Fred, Liam Gallagher, Coldplay ("our gig is going to be carbon neutral, so let's not bother with flak vests..") etc... :lol: :lol:
Update: Wasn't quite on the ball but the truth was hardly surprising:
https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/n ... ay-station

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Craig Fox
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 18:32 I've been listening to the new tracks as I've been slogging through final exams and term papers over the last few days, and I have to say, they are complete and total earworms, to the point where am waking up with them running through my head.

Completely agree.....just spent the last 2 hours with phone playing the videos with laptop on the lyrics ......the latest songs are amazing
Yggdrasil

Craig Fox wrote: 16 May 2022, 16:42

Completely agree.....just spent the last 2 hours with phone playing the videos with laptop on the lyrics ......the latest songs are amazing
Seconded!
Todashi

I've been listening to the new songs daily for the last few weeks, and love them but last night I put Vision Thing on in the car and it made me a bit sad. Even the title track on the record - which is a musically relatively simple composition - has tonnes of layers and nuances and extra little details to listen to, and then you get Ribbons, which is sonically just gorgeous.

This made me sad because I thought of how dense and immersive the new songs could sound if they were properly recorded and layered up, and we probably won't ever get that. I'd love to hear them produced properly, with multiple guitar tracks, overdubbed vocals, sound effects and everything they need to be coached to their full potential.

The live versions show off the bare bones of the songs - and they're excellent - but that's all they are, the bare bones dressed up with a little background synth and they could sound really really good. I know I'm very far from the first to say it, but it's a real shame.

Listening to the bootlegs feels like squinting through a dirty window at a beautiful painting. You can tell it's good but you can't see it clearly. Frustrating.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Fully understand you. Having listened to the many different versions from all the concerts, there is so much in them, some of which already disappeared while some new little changes are constantly being made ... The only argument against it is that it looks quite impossible to put all the wonderful and exciting varieties into one recorded track. So decisions and choices would have to be made... and thus a certain limit put to the layers. But hell, that's normal for a recorded product and after all, each recording from a gig is also limited to its own version from that one show.

Anyway, we could start a poll for the best version so far heard of every new song from all of the shows when this tour is over, maybe in chronological order (or maybe not) ... :D ... starting with the new songs from 2019, i.e. Show Me (and Better Reptile) followed by 2020 B- ut Genevieve, I Will Call You, Black Sail - and finally 2022, so far Don't Drive On Ice, Here, Six Ways To Sunday, When I'm On Fire, Eyes of Caligula and She's A Monster ... :) ...

https://sisterswiki.org/Current_events#NEW_SONGS