NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 20:57 I just hope Eldritch has it in him for 1 more album as wishful thinking that is. The most recent material they've shown off in my opinion is some of the strongest they've come up with while on tour, and it's such a travesty that they are relegated to only existing as just live songs. I mean I don't have much right to complain about Eldritch's refusal to make new content as much as all of you seeing as i'm so young and haven't even been around in the fan base until like a year and a half ago.

But still the Sisters have climbed their way to the top of some of my favorite bands and it's really sad that Von sees no need for a new album thanks to his sour experience with WEA, and seeing a quicker return with live shows and merch. I wish he could see it doesn't take a whole studio to make an album anymore. Some people make really professional sounding music in their basements for heavens sake for as little as buying a decent computer and some microphones. Plus he has experience in producing so he wouldn't even need to hire a producer either.

I know i shouldn't get so worked up about it, it's like crying over spilled milk, I get it. But the sisters are truly something special. Sure it's a different line up every album, but that's part of the magic in my eyes. I love when bands take different directions with each album and bring on new perspectives to shape the music (very different end on the musical spectrum but that's why Gorillaz has continued to be one of my favorite bands ever as well.) And the band's current line up has proven more than enough that they have the untapped potential to pull off something on par with FALAA in terms of groundbreaking (at least from what the muffled live shows recordings have taught me lol.)

Sorry that was a little ranty, i'm just really passionate about the sisters and wish to see them grace us with at least one new album before Eldritch is called back to the dimension from whence he came. I wish there was a way we could do a petition or something to send to him, or for him to start a kickstarter or something, but I feel like that's even less likely than him just going back to WEA to sign a new record deal.
Well put about the recording process. And they have less players than when he last recorded an album 30 years ago. I somehow doubt the 300-take efforts to nail down vocals is as painful today with new tools but what do I know.

A record company would help them with distribution and promotion but you're not shipping units to stores anymore with the former and he's not had any of the latter for decades. It has to be easier than ever but I think it's just laziness. The quick return with live shows you mention is definitely dependable and more predictable.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

(Mods, I thought this worthy of a new thread... but feel free to merge it if you disagree!)

I took a quick look around and didn't see anyone had mentioned this yet: the Live News page has a new new song on it. My first impressions are a) that I love it, and b) that there's no chance Von remembers all of these lyrics, live... ;)

ON THE BEACH (2020)

in the fever dreams of alice I have seen the walking dead
I have been there at the border whither malice goons are led
I have seen them dig their boonies where the ignorants are bred
do them in the head

we are rievers by conviction, we're believers in the bus
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
we are whole in our fracture, we are even in our each
when dog eat dog we're honoured on the beach

a thousand thousand souls have never seen the sea
you'll never hurt more as damnation's hi-viz entity
transaction's tabard's not a thing to keep you keep afloat
the chevaliers are on a boat
it's not your boat

all states have a border
that's the reason
that's the order
inside and outside, on the beach

we're parked and yet we're not
we're on the sand
this can go two ways
understand
[repeat x40]
Pista
Cureboi

Good spot :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Not a new Chris Rea cover then?

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
iesus
Overbomber

Difference detected on Sisters News - Live News

We detected a medium change on:
Sisters News - Live News
ON THE BEACH (2020) in the fever dreams of alice I have seen the walking dead I have been there at the border whither malice goons are led I have seen them dig their boonies where the ignorants are bred do them in the head we are rievers by conviction, we're believers in the bus we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us we are whole in our fracture, we are even in our each when dog eat dog we're honoured on the beach a thousand thousand souls have never seen the sea you'll never hurt more as damnation's hi-viz entity transaction's tabard's not a thing to keep you keep afloat the chevaliers are on a boat it's not your boat all states have a border that's the reason that's the order inside and outside, on the beach we're parked and yet we're not we're on the sand this can go two ways understand

:D :bat: :bat: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

Cool ... :) ... thank you for the hint, kafka ... :bat: :) :bat: ...

On The Beach ... I like this air. Smells so bizarre and real... :) ...
abraxas
Road Kill

on first read the lyrics seem remarkably pertinent
czuczu
Overbomber

Bit clunky aroumd the high viz and tabard lines but make it 160bpm and I'm in :)
Swinnow
Overbomber

Not overly worried here as Eldritch's vocals tend towards a sub sonic rumble with every passing year (though any passing whale may rightly complain) and the backing vocals take an increasing load.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

"in the fever dreams of alice I have seen the walking dead"

Sounds like a not so subtle jab at G*ths :lol: :lol:
:von: Check out my Comic series: https://unhingedcomic.com/ :von:
GC
Slight Overbomber

We are this and we are that,
Juxtapositions always sounding tat,
Meaningless, empty and forlorn,
Songs on a CD
That will never be born.

Sorry popped into my head and cant keep it in.
Pista
Cureboi

Swinnow wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 20:13
Not overly worried here as Eldritch's vocals tend towards a s̶u̶b̶ ̶s̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶r̶u̶m̶b̶l̶e̶ Vic Reeves club singer with every passing year (though any passing whale may rightly complain) and the backing vocals take an increasing load.
FTFY :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

:lol:

Dizzy with laughter
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Good find, kafka!

Ever the annoying Sisters optimist, I consider this very good news meaning useful things are being done while the pandemic rages on. The longer lyrics are most welcome compared to But Genevieve.
Depprocksfarfar

But no songwriting credits? Either he forget to put them there amongst the other more or less recently new songs or there´s "only" words finished at this moment.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Noting it says 2020 instead of 2021, maybe digging through the archives at the moment :)
Swinnow
Overbomber

"Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way"

Sums it up I guess.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

hmmm. if you squint at them all these unheard lyrics look a bit like the SEO-optimisation footers you see in some less reputable places...
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
GC
Slight Overbomber

I ve found that very few artists can publish lyrics and make them stand alone poetry without having music...exceptions to this are Leonard Cohen (no surspise), Nick Cave (sometimes) and Pet Shop Boys (surprisingly) , and some early SIsters, up to and including some of FLAA. (this is all very subjective I know)

Sisters lyrics only achieve a resonance as song, with music.. just look at But Geneveieve...bollocks on paper but as a song quite bloody good.

Anybody else agree? Im curious
sultan2075
Overbomber

GC wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 00:05 I ve found that very few artists can publish lyrics and make them stand alone poetry without having music...exceptions to this are Leonard Cohen (no surspise), Nick Cave (sometimes) and Pet Shop Boys (surprisingly) , and some early SIsters, up to and including some of FLAA. (this is all very subjective I know)

Sisters lyrics only achieve a resonance as song, with music.. just look at But Geneveieve...bollocks on paper but as a song quite bloody good.

Yeah, I don’t think I disagree with any of this. Even the Pet Shop Boys.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
XidiouX

The mentions of rievers and borders makes me wonder if this is Von's take on the possibility of Scottish independence. If it is, the second last line could refer to either a binary choice (e.g. as presented in an independence referendum) or to echo the 'debris cut two ways' of Possession, notably a song about the end of a highly asymmetrical relationship, as pro-independence Scots see theirs with the UK/England.

That was my initial thought. After another couple of reads I saw it could also easily be about migrants to the UK landing 'on the beach'. On second thoughts, this seems more likely.
Last edited by XidiouX on 27 Feb 2021, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

GC wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 00:05 I ve found that very few artists can publish lyrics and make them stand alone poetry without having music...exceptions to this are Leonard Cohen (no surspise), Nick Cave (sometimes) and Pet Shop Boys (surprisingly) , and some early SIsters, up to and including some of FLAA. (this is all very subjective I know)

Strangely enough, I've always though Lenny's lyrics stand up better than his poetry does. Some music doesn't really need the lyrics to mean much, Cocteau Twins in particular, it kind of all merges together. Strangely always l I love the Nephilim, but really who cares what the lyrics mean. Live they fit the music and the vibe. I just assume he's singing about Crowley's shopping list or the like. :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
GC
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 15:19

Strangely enough, I've always though Lenny's lyrics stand up better than his poetry does. Some music doesn't really need the lyrics to mean much, Cocteau Twins in particular, it kind of all merges together. Strangely always l I love the Nephilim, but really who cares what the lyrics mean. Live they fit the music and the vibe. I just assume he's singing about Crowley's shopping list or the like. :wink:
Good point about Nephilim, the whole shamen/gnostic immersive element where I listen to the sound of his voice and not what hes really saying. This has been the reason why I still listen to (most) of Neph with still a sense of wonder.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

A new song.
Is it? Are we going to go through all the same me-bolocks as we did with "The Far Parade"? (which as a title sounded too much like The Soft Parade - a Doors album- to have ever been taken seriously & although it did have music once ir now hasnt; said tune part of Black Sail...so is probably best considered "rejected lyric -substandard")

Andrew is taking the p*ss and you are all lapping it up. fair play to him. its amused me so no doubt he's finding it mildly entertaining.

this is not a new song, its a set of fairly mediocre lyrics. without music. so a poem then?

ah, JUST like "The Far Parade"..... :roll: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Eighthcircle
Road Kill

"believers in the bus" is a dead giveaway this is a Brexit-related polemic