Lamb of God ripping off Marian?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

...with a hint of Afterhours too

Lamb of God - Memento Mori
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj0-dIU8HI

Even the lyrics:
By the darkest river
Beneath the leafless trees
I think I'm drowning
This dream is killing me
It's like they've given up trying.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Yikes; that’s pretty blatant.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

How can they possibly not realise?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Maybe they know but they were counting on the fans not knowing The Sisters?

Which is a bit silly, tbh.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:...with a hint of Afterhours too

Lamb of God - Memento Mori
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj0-dIU8HI

Even the lyrics:
By the darkest river
Beneath the leafless trees
I think I'm drowning
This dream is killing me
It's like they've given up trying.
Well that disproves the old saying that talent borrows but genius steals! :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
Swinnow
Overbomber

Utterly dreadful.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

erm ok , wtf??!! :eek:

oh dear, i need to sanitise myself quickly after that, Sisters covers / rip offs always make me feel unclean. :lol: :lol:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Not listened to it, but isn't it possible that these guys are just being a bit clumsy in their acknowledgement of / homage to a major influence on them? I dunno, don't know the first thing about them besides having seen the name on festival bills, but that lyric seems kinda too blatant to me, if you know what I mean? Not sure I do, but maybe their hearts were in the right place? Then again I love Scooter's Marian so prolly just best keeping my thoughts to myself :oops: ;D
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I suspect Von would probably take it as a compliment. He said recently that it's the metal bands who tend to "big up" the Sisters.
The Scene won't save you...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Apparently Wayne found it amusing.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:Apparently Wayne found it amusing.
As funny as Craig's "singing" of the German section on the 2017 Mish tour???
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I recently went and saw Pigface. While I was outside waiting to meet En Esch the singer for Lamb of God who is also currently in Pigface came over to me because i was wearing a Sisters hoodie. He started chatting with me about how much he loves the Sisters and told me about meeting them in Australia. He told me to be on the lookout for this song because it was lifted directly from Marian.
I am NOT in the cool club
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Rise891 wrote:I recently went and saw Pigface. While I was outside waiting to meet En Esch the singer for Lamb of God who is also currently in Pigface came over to me because i was wearing a Sisters hoodie. He started chatting with me about how much he loves the Sisters and told me about meeting them in Australia. He told me to be on the lookout for this song because it was lifted directly from Marian.
at least they're honest but if that's the case then i really don't see the point.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Anything that helps the toilet paper crisis by stopping teenagers masturbating for 5mins has got to be a good thing. Thumbs up from me.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Swinnow wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:Apparently Wayne found it amusing.
As funny as Craig's "singing" of the German section on the 2017 Mish tour???
Not to mention Craig's "singing" 'On Ilkley Moor Baht t'at' during the umpteenth amplification breakdown at Eurorock 2000 :urff: what has been heard cannot be unheard, as they say.

@ Rise891 - ace story :) maybe not so much what he does with them (am perfectly happy to take everyone's word for it that it's less than good), but you can't fault the mans influences, nor his enthusiasm to have a gas about them :von: :notworthy:

edit : in fairness to Craig though, I've got York 84 on YT playing away in the background, and I suddenly realised the magnificent fuzzy sound buzzing around my head was his bass on Floorshow. A perfectly timed bit of balance and perspective :notworthy: :lol:
ruffers
Overbomber

I'm going for "clumsy tribute". Should it somehow sell a zillion copies though I'd be getting the plagiarism lawyers involved if I was a Sister of Mercy.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
copper
Amphetamine Filth

Scardwel wrote:I suspect Von would probably take it as a compliment. He said recently that it's the metal bands who tend to "big up" the Sisters.
I suspect he would ask for royalties. And bemoan the lyrical quality.

But Von's done the same cut n' paste, wash n' rinse routines in the footsteps of T.S. Eliot. And a poor copy is one way to illustrate the craft of the original.
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Blimey. In the wake of this ship of fools....
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

The intro is not a bad homage. I am just struggling with the song.
love is just a shot away
Being645
Above the Chemist

hellboy69 wrote:Blimey. In the wake of this ship of fools....
... with a rebel yell ... :lol: ...

Not bad ... :) ...
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You'll all hate me, but this is a F*in Jam.
A lot of my secondry school years were comprised of Lamb of god and sisters of mercy.
Memento Mori seems to be a hell of a lot more than a shoddy sisters cover, it's beautiful.
IMHO, of course.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill

Ha, from reading the posts, before listening, I was expecting something that sounded vaguely similar to, but not actually, Marian.

Having heard it, I don't think it's a rip-off in the sense that they're claiming it as their own - they're never going to get away with that. It's clearly a tribute. It's Marian, ever so slightly reinterpreted. It's surely a nod to the Sisters - at least I hope so! Fair play to them.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

copper wrote:
Scardwel wrote:I suspect Von would probably take it as a compliment. He said recently that it's the metal bands who tend to "big up" the Sisters.
I suspect he would ask for royalties. And bemoan the lyrical quality.

But Von's done the same cut n' paste, wash n' rinse routines in the footsteps of T.S. Eliot. And a poor copy is one way to illustrate the craft of the original.
"Ask for royalties"? Unlikely, Von hasn't held the rights for donkeys years.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

This popped up in my google alerts today

The relevant part
IE: It was refreshing to hear “Memento Mori� as your comeback single, with an opening musical passage borrowed from “Marian,� by the great Sisters of Mercy. Nice one.

DRB: The guitar stuff? I don’t write that. But I’m the only Sisters of Mercy fan in the band because we’re five totally different dudes. But I head that guitar line and just heard that pattern from “Marian,� so it’s an homage to Andrew Eldritch, because they’re such an influential band to me, ever since I was a kid. I was living at my grandmother’s house in sixth grade or something, and I actually saw them on a TV program called Solid Gold. They announced, “Solid Gold goes to England,� and cut to The Batcave in London, and they were on playing “This Corrosion.� And I was like, “What is THIS?� And I was looking at Patricia Morrison playing bass and thinking, “She is the hottest woman on the face of the planet!� I was just listening to her other band, The Gun Club, earlier today, actually. I had a poster of her and Eldritch on my wall from the Floodland era, and I’m not a dude who has crushes on celebrity chicks. But I was like, “Holy f**k! I am in LOVE with this woman!� And now she’s Mrs. Dave Vanian, of course.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Stimson
Road Kill

Randy Blythe of LOG fully acknowledges that Marian inspired part of his song. He loves the Sisters and wants to tour with them. He’s given them their props. What a cool thing he did. His interview where he mentioned this is what first turned me to the Sisters so he’s led new fans to them. Seeing them soon!!