Interview with Andrew on 'Request Video' around 1991

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

This interview was posted yesterday on youtube, i know some of you may have seen it before but i never have!

Some classic Andrew in there! :lol:

:von: :D :notworthy: :notworthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-XRM1 ... lTHtzDV9UU
sultan2075
Overbomber

He’d definitely be “cancelled� for some of that today.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Certainly unleashed the inner knobhead there didn't he?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:He’d definitely be “cancelled� for some of that today.
Yeah, you're not wrong. 80% of that would be career suicide today, and I suppose you could say that that's what happened anyway.

Gotta love him though, for all his madness :von: :von:
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
ruffers
Overbomber

Possibly not his finest hour...

Although he likes the Screaming Blue Messiahs. One of the best gigs I ever went to.

A Sisters version of Bikini Red would be my personal nirvana..
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Ha! I forgot how hard it used to be to love him sometimes.
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sam donut wrote:Ha! I forgot how hard it used to be to love him sometimes.
What a wonderful sentence 8) 8)
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
ruffers
Overbomber

sounds like a lyric.....
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Being645
Above the Chemist

1992, I'd say, after the Tune In - Turn On - Load Out Tour with all those market-induced cancellations,

the Reading Festival, the release of Temple of Love (1992) on 20 April 1992, though not in the US,

and a few cuts before The Sisters of Mercy's so far last officially released song Under The Gun in 1993 ... :| ...

well apart from the SSV branching ... while they did have some new songs and a view ...
Dan
Overbomber

I'd say late 1990/early 1991.

He says he's going to Las Vegas to shoot a video for next single "Detonation Boulevard". It wasn't a single in the UK bit there are US promo discs listed on discogs for 1990. Also mentions of the Gulf War which was end of 1990 into the first few months of 1991. And he says he's off to Japan next.

So if anyone knows when the Detonation Boulevard video was filmed or when he visited Japan during that period it'd help to pin it down.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

The first Sisters gigs of 1991 were the 10th anniversary shows in Leeds, and in the interview he mentions that the band are rehearsing, so that would make it January or early February.
Dan
Overbomber

There's also an interview from the same US visit, on KROQ, 25th Jan 1991.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7B1_gd-Ks
It's misdated as 25th Feb on youtube (and on the cassette cover), but that's impossible as it's mentioned that Eldritch is doing an instore appearance in Tower Records, Sherman Oaks the following day, and he was gigging in Portugal on the 26th.
This page mentions the Tower records appearance on 26th Jan.

So it's January, sometime before 25th Jan depending on how long he'd been in the US (he says he's only been in the country 6 hours so it has to be earlier than the KROQ interview.)
GC
Slight Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:Certainly unleashed the inner knobhead there didn't he?
Spoilt Bastard, if your familiar with Viz, comes to mind. :lol:
road_kill
Road Kill

NhDNlkYcIc
mh
Above the Chemist

I just put this period down as "the mad years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote:I just put this period down as "the cocaine years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
Fixed that for you.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:
mh wrote:I just put this period down as "the cocaine years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
Fixed that for you.
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

bless her, the interviewer deals with him quite sweetly i think.

EDIT: i never knew that was the origin of Doktor Avalanches name.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

"Army brat" as was said many moons ago in a pub just off Leeds Uni campus :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Being645 wrote:1992, I'd say, after the Tune In - Turn On - Load Out Tour with all those market-induced cancellations,

the Reading Festival, the release of Temple of Love (1992) on 20 April 1992, though not in the US,

and a few cuts before The Sisters of Mercy's so far last officially released song Under The Gun in 1993 ... :| ...

well apart from the SSV branching ... while they did have some new songs and a view ...
Interesting, presumably Wicked Game, which does fit the UTG vibe. And no TOL with Offra sets it squarely in 1991, guessing Jan as you do
Goths have feelings too
czuczu
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Being645 wrote:1992, I'd say, after the Tune In - Turn On - Load Out Tour with all those market-induced cancellations,

Interesting, presumably Wicked Game, which does fit the UTG vibe. And no TOL with Offra sets it squarely in 1991, guessing Jan as you do
Their post-set song at Reading that year ;)
Being645
Above the Chemist

czuczu wrote:
paint it black wrote:

Their post-set song at Reading that year ;)
Yes, I've misheard that. They played the Im Nin' Alu video at some point, so before the TOL 1992 release ... and from that point, looking and listening to it more deeply, I'd also say 1991 now ... and given this video compilation, January seems indeed the most plausible ...
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Elektra ... e/14366978
FireInReptileHouse
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

does anyone have this as it was removed from youtube ... very interesting interview ... interviewer probably still has nightmares
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

FireInReptileHouse wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 22:59 does anyone have this as it was removed from youtube ... very interesting interview ... interviewer probably still has nightmares
Yeah says it's removed on my end too, but i'm assuming this is the interview where he says something to the effect of "There should always be a war" or something like that. Ya that interview always gave me the impression he was trying to be satirical or something but the interviewer doesn't catch on to that, and he just keeps going along with it. It was a tough watch/listen.
:von: Check out my Comic series: https://unhingedcomic.com/ :von:
Dan
Overbomber

Eldritch Interview, 1991.01.xx (Request Video, KDOC ch.56 Anaheim CA) 11m 13s
https://mega.nz/#!WeBA1DzY!2GPGKoOjD3Xu ... Yut3iDHEfQ