covers you'd like to see

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Icon wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 08:35 I‘d like „Putting out Fire“ by David Bowie.
If you mean 'Cat People' it was certainly a regular on the Fav jukebox back in the day. Another regular was 'Uncertain Smile' by The The.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Swinnow
Overbomber

I'd suggest covering 'Living After Midnight' would allow Von to live out a few more glam Glitter band fantasies at encore time. Plus it's lyrics are manageable.
Wilkstein
Road Kill

My personal preference would be Turbo Lover.
czuczu
Overbomber

I Drove All Night, The Orb

He's got no chance with the big notes but it's an absolute belter :)
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Mfw I just wondered whether The Orb have covered that song :roll: :D Great choice though.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

doctor_jeep wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 11:16 Mfw I just wondered whether The Orb have covered that song :roll: :D Great choice though.
I Drove All Night was a belter of a Roy Orbison song, made popular by Cyndi Lauper. I couldn’t find any reference to The Orb version on YouTube so I couldn’t compare. Don’t know if it’s the same belter
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

the cover i would most like to see is the cover to the new album....

....oh this is 'cover versions' you would like to 'hear'? ....well it doesnt say that...it should do you know....it may confuse FB group members... nah, you're right -this is the proper internet. no apps here (there is of course but its a proper functiong app, designed by a professional without 80 billion tonnes of javascript killing any semblance of usability...and you need the proper internet to get it anyway. -sorry state of affairs for the bottom feegers if the WWW is the pondlife filter).

you dont care if it confuses FB admn? we're not all retards...i admin a highly successful anarcho-techno music page without any trouble and still have time to get banned for selling carrots that look like sex-toys (because FB wont give in and see that they are carrots not dildos) and have spare mins to do the most pefunctory bollocks filtration on behalf of more retarded/less advanced admin...f**k it, i agree actually- just because youve risen to the top -of the bottom- of your local pond doesnt mean youve evolved...youre just Head Honcho Pondlife now....(& as with bosses cosmos-wide anybody who wants to be in charge is probably the least qualified and/or in possession of a Dodgy Agenda.)
no the thread's title hasnt confused me- i am being an 'Agent provocateur'....knickers to you too mate! yes ok -this should be in "New Thongs..." :lol: :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Probably entirely unrelated, but I would love to see the sisters do an acoustic set.
Bring back the 606, put ben on an acoustic twelve string and dylan on a bass and record. I think that would be awesome.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Swinnow
Overbomber

I fear you'd have to rewind the lead vocals 25years or so, or stay current and bury them in the mix.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Did I mention anything about vocals? ;)
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Pista
Cureboi

I'd like to hear them do a version of Soft Core by Maurice and the Cliches.
I think Von could manage that & Ben would have a ball with the guitar break.
Would be better with a bass, but then so would a lot of things
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Late era Cohen - Almost Like The Blues or Different Sides would be good choices.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
eastmidswhizzkid

simply because it is almost definitive of a very raw very powerful Sisters i'd like to see Teachers back in the set but segued into Adrenochrome as Dog intended in the proper 1981 stylee...if it feels lonely sans On The Wire then that could also be brought back but in the 19'84 stylee.
i think it would be hilarious to hear Andrew mumble-singing about getting the words wrong in a song about -amongst other things- getting the words wrong.

Pista
Cureboi

Having listened to it earlier, I think Jetsetter's Ball by Flash & The Pan would be a great one for them to try.
They have the guitar & backing vocal heft to carry that one off pretty comfortably.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

What Lee said. 81 style Teachers ftw!

Little off topic but since an acoustic set was suggested: thinking back about Trix 2019 which felt more like a session than a gig, I feel it helped Von's vocals a lot. The premiere of "Show Me" was his best vocal delivery in years (and by far the best rendition of that song so far) imho. So I'm not so sure about the state of his voice being a limiting factor for anything session/"acoustic". I think his main problem is having to sing too loud nowadays.

Having said that, I'd love some session style gigs where they play all the new stuff exclusively in the main set. Few of the classic bangers for the encore then, and that's it.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

doctor_jeep wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 10:16 Having said that, I'd love some session style gigs where they play all the new stuff exclusively in the main set. Few of the classic bangers for the encore then, and that's it.
I would totally be down for that.
Being645
Above the Chemist

doctor_jeep wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 10:16 [...] I'd love some session style gigs where they play all the new stuff exclusively in the main set. Few of the classic bangers for the encore then, and that's it.
Fully seconded ... :D ...
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 16:48
doctor_jeep wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 10:16 [...] I'd love some session style gigs where they play all the new stuff exclusively in the main set. Few of the classic bangers for the encore then, and that's it.
Yeah, I‘d love that too!
Swinnow
Overbomber

I'm still waiting for one of my son's to visit so that they can explain what is meant by a "classic banger" by today's trenderati.

:lol:
eastmidswhizzkid

Being645 wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 16:48
annoyingly one thing we COULD have easily, with next to no actual effort from Andrew (apart from merely selecting and uploading) is ALL the Mr Whammy-era 'new' songs in the same audio quality as the "We Are The Same Suzanne" that's on the official site (better as they would be .wav not mp3's but fcuk it- lossy would do). that would get around all the recording /von's voice/ adam being a bell-end about it etc and any other problems. we would have all the songs played by the band that wrote them, as they were written, AND with Andrew's voice still up for the task.
That "...Suzanne..." is still the best quality version ive heard so the other songs must exist in better quality even than the blank canvas / forum DAT ones we have....i would happily draw a line under the whole failure to occur of OUR GLORIOUS SUMMER and the broken promise of the live dvd then.

SO WHY NOT ELDRITCH? ONE >>>>GOOD>>>>REASON? :kiss:

alanm
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 05:22 annoyingly one thing we COULD have easily, with next to no actual effort from Andrew (apart from merely selecting and uploading) is ALL the Mr Whammy-era 'new' songs in the same audio quality as the "We Are The Same Suzanne" that's on the official site
I don't want to sound callous, and I hope Von has many more healthy years ahead of him, but...
Honestly I reckon the most likely way we'll hear these is if he's has made appropriate arrangements for the execution of his estate, and some time in the next 20-30y there is a posthumous release of this material.

Next most likely outcome is that someone hacks his computer and releases the material after he fails to pay the BTC ransom.

Distant third is any kind of official release, even on Bandcamp which presents such a ridiculously low bar that my gran could probably release a chamber music album without my help.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Chris Catalyst wrote: It was like he didn't really want to do it
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

alanm wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 07:24
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 05:22 annoyingly one thing we COULD have easily, with next to no actual effort from Andrew (apart from merely selecting and uploading) is ALL the Mr Whammy-era 'new' songs in the same audio quality as the "We Are The Same Suzanne" that's on the official site
I don't want to sound callous, and I hope Von has many more healthy years ahead of him, but...
Honestly I reckon the most likely way we'll hear these is if he's has made appropriate arrangements for the execution of his estate, and some time in the next 20-30y there is a posthumous release of this material.

Next most likely outcome is that someone hacks his computer and releases the material after he fails to pay the BTC ransom.
send me a PM and i'll send you the link to the best versions we have (if youve not got them already).

alanm
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 10:11 send me a PM and i'll send you the link to the best versions we have (if youve not got them already).
Indeed you have already sir, thank you kindly once again.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?