How Long After Hours

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Hi

There are three "Demo" versions of Afterhours of lengths on Echoes Vol.IV. There is another on Reflections Vol.III which purports to be from the Strawberry Studio sessions of June 84. All these versions are of different length but that appears to be the only real difference.

Can anybody shed any light on this perplexing subject?

Any help gratefully appreciated
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Not too familiar with the versions in question but it’s possible there were edits and fades done by fans/bootleggers after the fact? Either to create false differentiation (and give them a “unique” version on their demo) or for more naive reasons such as to fit it all on one side of C90 cassette.

Also, small differences in duration could be due to tape speeds? Do their pitches/tones sounds different? Things were all very analogue back then and tape speeds could differ, and tapes can stretch, etc
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dan
Overbomber

The only version of Afterhours is the one on MR029T. All the others are fake. They're copies of the record, some are poor quality because of too many generations, others maybe have EQ or have been artificially extended by repeating parts of it.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Thanks, both of you, for putting me right

I am trying to make a compilation of all the different studio sessions but there are so many slightly tweeked versions and such conflicting info that it gets a bit complicated
Elon
Road Kill

i made a list of all (to my knowledge) officially-released versions of all songs. if you pm me with your address I can email the file to you.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 17:07 The only version of Afterhours is the one on MR029T. All the others are fake. They're copies of the record, some are poor quality because of too many generations, others maybe have EQ or have been artificially extended by repeating parts of it.
Yep. I have at least one bootleg where the tape is clearly slowed down and is also very crackly. Cheapo trick.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Dan
Overbomber

Electrochrome wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 15:53
Dan wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 17:07 The only version of Afterhours is the one on MR029T. All the others are fake. They're copies of the record, some are poor quality because of too many generations, others maybe have EQ or have been artificially extended by repeating parts of it.
Yep. I have at least one bootleg where the tape is clearly slowed down and is also very crackly. Cheapo trick.
I have a "fast version" and a "slow version" that are exactly the same, and a "long version" where someone's tried to join 2 parts together but they've left a gap wide enough to drive a bus through. :lol:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Elon
That is awfully kind of you but it is not the Official Releases I am fussed about.

It is all the unofficial studio sessions / demos that have surfaced on various bootlegs over the years. With the help of the incredible Sister Wiki and now, with the knowledge of the good people here, I am trying to compile a recording of all that is available.